SI Article on Saban - Similarities to what Bo is implementing.

Instead of talking about wins and championships, Saban speaks about the Process. In its most basic form, the Process is Saban's term for concentrating on the steps to success rather than worrying about the end result. Instead of thinking about the scoreboard, think about dominating the man on the opposite side of the line of scrimmage. Instead of thinking about a conference title, think about finishing a ninth rep in the weight room. Instead of thinking about graduating, think about writing a great paper for Intro to Psych. Since Saban has won three of the past nine BCS titles (LSU in 2003, Alabama in '09 and '11), the phrase has morphed into the mission statement for Saban's program-building philosophy. After watching the Tide coach raise all those crystal footballs, athletic directors and coaches across the country are trying to replicate his philosophy and results. Call it the Sabanization of college football.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/08/14/sabanization-of-college-football/index.html#ixzz23Xac6jsi

Even if Bo's process is similar it sure hasn't yielded similar results. It's time for less talk and more wins. (Or at least fewer than 4 losses . . . generally at least 1 of which we have no business losing.)

Patience. Saban has been a head coach for 18 years. Bo's only got 4+ at this point. Bo may never equal the success of Saban, and even if he does he might not do it here, but he's go ta long way to go before he gets it all figured out.

People tend to gloss over, or simply forget, that many of the great coaches we see today (i.e. Saban) spent years as a head coach at smaller universities. Saban's been a head coach since 1990, and has held five coaching gigs including Alabama. That's remarkable experience in comparison to Pelini. Pelini, although experienced in his own right, is still a pretty young head coach.

People tend to gloss over, or simply forget, that many of the great coaches we see today (i.e. Saban) spent years as a head coach at smaller universities. Saban's been a head coach since 1990, and has held five coaching gigs including Alabama. That's remarkable experience in comparison to Pelini. Pelini, although experienced in his own right, is still a pretty young head coach.

Good point... so why did NU hire an inexperienced coach in pelini rather than an experienced one?

Good point... so why did NU hire an inexperienced coach in pelini rather than an experienced one?

Last time Tom Osborne and I were sipping cognacs in his study he told me he did it just to mess with the folks on message boards. Then he went into this long rant about coeds and sorority girls.

Come to think of it.... that may have been Not Tom Osborne.

• Fire 3

Even if Bo's process is similar it sure hasn't yielded similar results. It's time for less talk and more wins. (Or at least fewer than 4 losses . . . generally at least 1 of which we have no business losing.)

Patience. Saban has been a head coach for 18 years. Bo's only got 4+ at this point. Bo may never equal the success of Saban, and even if he does he might not do it here, but he's go ta long way to go before he gets it all figured out.

I don't expect him to equal the success of Saban. From the standpoint of recruiting location alone Bo is starting at a significant disadvantage.

I don't think that it's too much to expect to not lose to the ISUs and the Northwesterns of the world while winning a conference championship or two each decade.

Bo hasn't done that yet and I'm not at all convinced that he will accomplish it in the future. 2013 should be the year. If he can't get it done with that schedule . . .

Anyways. I sure hope that Bo proves me wrong.

:facepalm:

Because Bo has all the advantages Saban has and has had.

Did someone say that he did? (I did laugh that this comment came from someone with the username "accountability." ;))

Tom Osborne had several reasons for hiring Bo Pelini, even if he didn't share them all with you or me. I would say Pelini's defensive prowess was up at the top in conjunction with his successful coaching history as a position coach and coordinator. Pelini was not a bad choice at the time, nor is he one now. You have to go with who has the best qualifications and who you trust the most, and that was obviously Pelini. Could he have done better? Perhaps, because he could have also done a lot worse.

I don't honestly remember all the coaches we were considering at the time so I'm sure someone can give a better detailed list of candidates. But of the two candidates I do remember, Pelini and Turner Gill, Pelini was and still is the better choice.

Last time Tom Osborne and I were sipping cognacs in his study he told me he did it just to mess with the folks on message boards. Then he went into this long rant about coeds and sorority girls.

Come to think of it.... that may have been Not Tom Osborne.

TO has no time for sipping...he chugs.