W Nov. 18: UNO

W Nov. 21: Tulane

At this point, we will look poised for an NCAA tourney bid

L Nov. 24: Kent State

L Nov. 27: at Wake Forest

L Dec. 3: USC

L Dec. 6: Creighton

L Dec. 15: at Oregon

At this point, the sky will be falling and the first cult of people who have already lost faith in Coach Smiles will appear and become vocal. Prepare to hear things like, "With the way they are playing, there's no way Miles will ever take this team any farther than Sadler did." OR "Why the hell did he redshirt Biggs?! What an idiot!" Or "Just fire him now and get it over with."

W Dec. 18: Jacksonville State

W Dec. 22: vs. Central Michigan, 10 p.m.

W Dec. 23: vs. UTEP/Arkansas Pine Bluff

W Dec. 29: Nicholls State

This point in the season should be the calm before the storm where things are relatively quiet around the program. Then by midway through the conference schedule, expect people to just lose interest and stop following the team until the 2013-2014 season.

Couple things:

1. I did a quick rundown on the final RPI for each team last year. Did not look for Midland (not DI, I don't believe, and it's exh. anyway) and did not find one for UNO (likely not given one by the NCAA due to their Year One transitional status:

Southern 279

Valpo 100

Tulane 251

Kent St. 114

Wake Forest 182

USC 265

Creighton 23

Oregon 52

Jacksonville St. 225

Central Mich. 280

UTEP 146/Ark PB 302

Nicholls St. 299

Nebraska was 147 last year. Knowing all that, I'd think we could have a decent chance to win all but 2 of those games. I think Creighton and Oregon obviously are the two toughest, and will likely be losses. Creighton/Nebraska seems to be a dogfight most years, so I wouldn't want to necessarily predict it, but with what they have back, it'd take an enormous coaching effort to do it. Not that Miles isn't up to it, but very tough. With those lines from last year, it looks like we've got a decent opportunity with just about everyone else on the schedule. No guarantees, and certainly some growing pains, but as Miles said, a nice schedule to test and grow with.

2. I think, depending on how the season has gone up to that point, we have a chance to shock people. If Miles can get them playing well together, and make a nice run somewhere in the B1G season or even win a game or two in the tournie, it would set up very nicely going into next year. Yes, I know, drinking a lot of koolaid to get there, but always nice to think about what could happen. :)

Hello folks.

That seems to be a lot better schedule for fans than what we have ben accustomed to. Miles is known for playing good schedules.

I can't say it seems any tougher than what we have done in the past. Got the annual Creighton game, a game against an average Oregon team, two cellar dwellers from big name conferences, and a mid major conference champ. Maybe slightly tougher than usual, but only slightly.

Best case I'd say is two losses, but we likely have very little talent and are going to have a terrible year. Big 10 is going to eat us alive.

I didn't necessarily say it was tougher. But, I'm sorry, I have no desire to or watch a game with Doane, South Dakota, South Dakota State...etc.

At least there are some teams on here that have been to the tourney a few times.

I disagree. I'd much rather watch a top level midmajor (South Dakota St.) than a bottom feeder from a power conference.

Sadly, the question isn't about what would make better basketball, or even what we'd prefer as fans, at least not individually... it comes down to what will put more rear-ends in the seats, and ultimately, what will get us on TV and make a better ratings draw for TV. And to that end, I think the big-name school from a power five/six conference (BCS conference if you will) accomplishes that more than the high level mid-major or low-major. So while I'd love to see a talented Summit/Horizon or such team come in and play for the pure basketball portion of it, to draw the peripheral/occasional fan, you really have to have at least a few big name schools coming in to play against.

And while some of the names may not be what we'd like to see, there are some basketball names/pedigrees there we haven't seen in quite this amount before. Teams like Valpo, Tulane, Kent St. All teams that at least have some type of basketball name. And I'd argue that Oregon isn't average. Their RPI from last year certainly wouldn't indicate that, and most grading of scheduling is done off of RPI #s, so having 3 top 100 RPI teams from last year won't hurt the non-con. Would help if we would win one or two, but even having them on your schedule helps.

Will definitely be interesting. I think Miles will up the schedule as he goes, but this first year I think he was looking for a good balance of confidence boosters and challenges, and I think this provides him with that. Again, I think this team may surprise a few people in conference play. I'm not expecting a great showing, by any stretch, but I think we could still end up in seventh or eighth when all is said and done. Regardless, I won't be surprised or disappointed no matter how we do this year. i'll be happy for the wins, understand the losses, and know that we're building for the future.

• Fire 1

Sadly, the question isn't about what would make better basketball, or even what we'd prefer as fans, at least not individually... it comes down to what will put more rear-ends in the seats, and ultimately, what will get us on TV and make a better ratings draw for TV. And to that end, I think the big-name school from a power five/six conference (BCS conference if you will) accomplishes that more than the high level mid-major or low-major. So while I'd love to see a talented Summit/Horizon or such team come in and play for the pure basketball portion of it, to draw the peripheral/occasional fan, you really have to have at least a few big name schools coming in to play against.

And while some of the names may not be what we'd like to see, there are some basketball names/pedigrees there we haven't seen in quite this amount before. Teams like Valpo, Tulane, Kent St. All teams that at least have some type of basketball name. And I'd argue that Oregon isn't average. Their RPI from last year certainly wouldn't indicate that, and most grading of scheduling is done off of RPI #s, so having 3 top 100 RPI teams from last year won't hurt the non-con. Would help if we would win one or two, but even having them on your schedule helps.

Will definitely be interesting. I think Miles will up the schedule as he goes, but this first year I think he was looking for a good balance of confidence boosters and challenges, and I think this provides him with that. Again, I think this team may surprise a few people in conference play. I'm not expecting a great showing, by any stretch, but I think we could still end up in seventh or eighth when all is said and done. Regardless, I won't be surprised or disappointed no matter how we do this year. i'll be happy for the wins, understand the losses, and know that we're building for the future.

Well stated........

Couple things:

1. I did a quick rundown on the final RPI for each team last year. Did not look for Midland (not DI, I don't believe, and it's exh. anyway) and did not find one for UNO (likely not given one by the NCAA due to their Year One transitional status:

Southern 279

Valpo 100

Tulane 251

Kent St. 114

Wake Forest 182

USC 265

Creighton 23

Oregon 52

Jacksonville St. 225

Central Mich. 280

UTEP 146/Ark PB 302

Nicholls St. 299

Nebraska was 147 last year. Knowing all that, I'd think we could have a decent chance to win all but 2 of those games. I think Creighton and Oregon obviously are the two toughest, and will likely be losses. Creighton/Nebraska seems to be a dogfight most years, so I wouldn't want to necessarily predict it, but with what they have back, it'd take an enormous coaching effort to do it. Not that Miles isn't up to it, but very tough. With those lines from last year, it looks like we've got a decent opportunity with just about everyone else on the schedule. No guarantees, and certainly some growing pains, but as Miles said, a nice schedule to test and grow with.

2. I think, depending on how the season has gone up to that point, we have a chance to shock people. If Miles can get them playing well together, and make a nice run somewhere in the B1G season or even win a game or two in the tournie, it would set up very nicely going into next year. Yes, I know, drinking a lot of koolaid to get there, but always nice to think about what could happen. :)

Nice work. Shows what hurts our RPI...those teams > 200. USC at 265? Holey Moley.

Hard to guess how they are going to do this year. Lack of depth is a big issue and having a freshmen run the team makes for a tough task. I am going to go with 3 losses.

USC was only a year removed from tough sanctions and had a silly amount of injuries last season. Not saying they will be world beaters, but they will cut that RPI by at least half probably more.

Don't sleep on UTEP either. Games I wouldn't be surprised to see as losses:

Creighton

Oregon

USC

Wake Forest

Kent St.

UTEP

Valpo

USC was only a year removed from tough sanctions and had a silly amount of injuries last season. Not saying they will be world beaters, but they will cut that RPI by at least half probably more.

Don't sleep on UTEP either. Games I wouldn't be surprised to see as losses:

Creighton

Oregon

USC

Wake Forest

Kent St.

UTEP

Valpo

I agree, this team is probably not going to be so hot this year.