There's nothing self loathing about it. Acknowledging and being proud of the past is one thing, but to bring it up whenever possible in order to attempt to inflate one's current status is quite sad. We WERE great, we ARE good.

Don't be the 45 year old obese guy who has to tell the story of high school football every possible opportunity. Just don't. If it was really worth remembering, you don't have to continually remind people...

There's nothing self loathing about it. Acknowledging and being proud of the past is one thing, but to bring it up whenever possible in order to attempt to inflate one's current status is quite sad. We WERE great, we ARE good.

Don't be the 45 year old obese guy who has to tell the story of high school football every possible opportunity. Just don't. If it was really worth remembering, you don't have to continually remind people...

So remember it, but never, ever, ever, ever mention it.

Sorry, go ahead and worry what others think about you when you talk about your team. I couldn't care less.

• Fire 1

Meh knapp, national perception affects recruiting, coaching job attractiveness, all sorts of things. Clearly I see your point, but a "f#*k it, I don't care what anyone thinks" attitude regarding our national exposure might not be optimal

What does a fan fondly remembering the 1990s have to do with recruiting, coaching job attractiveness and national exposure? What are you defending here?

Meh knapp, national perception affects recruiting, coaching job attractiveness, all sorts of things. Clearly I see your point, but a "f#*k it, I don't care what anyone thinks" attitude regarding our national exposure might not be optimal

What does a fan fondly remembering the 1990s have to do with recruiting, coaching job attractiveness and national exposure? What are you defending here?

I don't mean to give you the wrong idea. I fully support anything on the '90s teams because that could only result in positive exposure. I was simply saying that not caring what anyone thinks about our program could result in some negatives.

I don't mean to give you the wrong idea. I fully support anything on the '90s teams because that could only result in positive exposure. I was simply saying that not caring what anyone thinks about our program could result in some negatives.

You're responding to something I didn't say. I said I don't give a damn if someone doesn't like it that I fondly remember the past. That's a fan discussing the glory days. Has nothing to do with how the program represents itself.

A fan base stuck in the past and obsessively comparing the current teams to the past does have a major impact on the perception of a program.

Congratulations. You just described every single fan base whose program has ever enjoyed the success of a conference or national championship.

Appreciating past success and discussing it isn't pathetic. It's human nature. You don't become some kind of better fan by overcoming the desire to discuss past glory.

• Fire 2

Yeah, not really sure what you're getting at. I mean, every time another team wins a national championship - Could this team beat the -insert year- -insert national champion-?

Or, teams like Texas saying our current team doesn't compare to our "Vince Young championship teams".

Or USC with it's sanctions saying they are still relevant "but want to return to the dominance of the early 2000s".

It's not like we are the only school that can reflect back on our glory days - Well, I guess we are one of a handful, because we are one of the few teams that dominated consistently :-)

That is more than a lot of other fan bases can say. Hell, I'm surrounded by Oregon Duck fans, and all they talk about is getting screwed out of the 2001 national championship, how they played in a Rose Bowl, and a natty, and won the Rose Bowl last year and they frequently compare this coming team to those teams to see how they measure up. "The 2009 team was much more talented, deeper, etc. - We need to play in the natty" blah blah blah.

And as far as Miami is concerned, I loved how they played in the 90s. They were certainly fun to watch - yeah they were glory hogs, but if you didn't want them dancing and parading around, don't let them beat you. Simple as that.

And as far as Miami is concerned, I loved how they played in the 90s. They were certainly fun to watch - yeah they were glory hogs, but if you didn't want them dancing and parading around, don't let them beat you. Simple as that.

It wasnt the things they did back then that makes me sick. Im sure it was fun to watch. Outside of direct taunting, I think players should be givin a lot more leeway in celebrations today. What is stupid is how they all acted in the filming. Youre 40 fricking years old and youre fat. Get over yourself. Team of the 80's? yes. Best ever? Not even in the conversation.

the thing that i thought was ridiculous was how they talked about when they got into the fights during games and how they played dirty and were proud of it. to me that is dishonoring the game of football and is not something you should be proud of.

lest we forget the fatigues.

i will say, and i had this thought watching the icons show on tom, we need a different attitude. almost a swagger, but without the obnoxiousness. a confidence, if you will, that we are going to play harder than the other team on the field and we will win every game. i think that has been missing on our recent squads.

A much more interesting film (and one that would fit the 30-for-30 style much better) would be the ramifications of Steve Pederson and Bill Callahan and their assault on the tradition of the program. That might not be the best look for the program, but it would be incredibly interesting, especially if the filmmaker did a lot of digging.

• Fire 1