Gophers struggling to sell tickets

Excel

Minnesota Golden Gophers  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"Far Improved over last year" is a very,very vague statement. Especially since last season was none too spectacular.

I'm am going with the term "talented". Much more concrete.Not a perfect word but It will do.

I am going to ask a very simple question. Which of the 8 Big Ten teams they play is Minny more talented than?

I don't think I've been vague here. You want specifics, read my first post in this thread - the second from the top.

The Gophers have talent equal to Illinois' or Northwestern's, and nearly equal to Iowa's - I'll take this opportunity to remind you that our boys have beaten Iowa the last two years with inferior talent.

More power to ya for beating Iowa twice in a row. I don't have a dog in the fight. But who is picking Minny to beat Iowa in Kinnick? No one so you can't blame me for not doing so. Also they have a Senior Qb. I mistakenly said he was a Junior.

How can you really say that Minny has better talent than Northwestern? Northwestern is a consistent bowl team. And as for Illinois you can say that Zooker can't be a HC but he recruited serious talent(at times the second best in the Big Ten).

• Fire 1

"Far Improved over last year" is a very,very vague statement. Especially since last season was none too spectacular.

I'm am going with the term "talented". Much more concrete.Not a perfect word but It will do.

I am going to ask a very simple question. Which of the 8 Big Ten teams they play is Minny more talented than?

I don't think I've been vague here. You want specifics, read my first post in this thread - the second from the top.

The Gophers have talent equal to Illinois' or Northwestern's, and nearly equal to Iowa's - I'll take this opportunity to remind you that our boys have beaten Iowa the last two years with inferior talent.

More power to ya for beating Iowa twice in a row. I don't have a dog in the fight. But who is picking Minny to beat Iowa in Kinnick? No one so you can't blame me for doing so. Also they have a Senior Qb. I mistakenly said he was a Junior.

How can you really say that Minny has better talent than Northwestern? Northwestern is a consistent bowl team. And as for Illinois you can say that Zooker can't be a HC but he recruited serious talent(at times the second best in the Big Ten).

I wrote my post more carefully than you read it. I said we have equal talent to Illinois and Northwestern. Listen, I'm not predicting seven or eight wins. I'm just pointing out that my team is better than it was last year, while you're predicting we'll lose to teams that we beat last year and end up with the same record.

More power to ya for beating Iowa twice in a row. I don't have a dog in the fight. But who is picking Minny to beat Iowa in Kinnick? No one so you can't blame me for doing so. Also they have a Senior Qb. I mistakenly said he was a Junior.

I wrote my post more carefully than you read it. I said we have equal talent to Illinois and Northwestern. Listen, I'm not predicting seven or eight wins. I'm just pointing out that my team is better than it was last year, while you're predicting we'll lose to teams that we beat last year and end up with the same record.

Ok fine EQUAL talent. Still don't understand how you can say that when Northwestern goes to a bowl every year and Illinois has won their bowl game the past two years with a lot of talent including a few first and second round guys.

It is definitely possible to improve and win the same or fewer games.

The schedule is not going to be easy and those games that you are counting for the Gophers are toss ups AT BEST.

You are counting on games like @Iowa, @Illinois, Purdue and Northwestern as toss ups. Those are 4 bowl teams(two of them won).

And those are your EASY games.

• Fire 1

You keep changing the discussion. I'm not arguing for a specific win total. It's just plausible that a team could be markedly improved (as the Gophers are this year) and their win total would increase instead of staying at 3. I'm surprised that you think all my team's improvement will result in no more than a stagnant won-lost record.

The Gophers should absolutely improve their record from last year. They should at least equal last year's wins before conference play begins, and there'll be at least three games they have an oddsmaker's (not a coach's) chance to notch more wins: Iowa, Illinois, and Northwestern.

If you want to haggle over win totals, I'll give you the satisfaction. Your point about Northwestern is well-taken: they're a bowl team every year. But the Gophers don't have to play any year's team except 2012's, and Northwestern is mediocre this year. And Minnesota has gone 4-0 against Illinois and Iowa the last two years. Tallying a win in at least one of those three games is likely. I see improving our record over last year as a probability, not a hope.

Under protest, because nobody here is a prophet. Speaking in general terms I'd predict 5 or 6 wins, with 4 being disappointing and 7 being greater-than-expected progress.

August 30 - at UNLV - WIN

Sept 8 - New Hampshire at home - WIN

Sept 15 - Western Michigan at home - LOSE

Sept 22 - Syracuse at home - WIN

Sept 29 - at Iowa - LOSE

Oct 13 - Northwestern at home - WIN

Oct 20 - at Wisconsin - LOSE

Oct 27 - Purdue at home - LOSE

Nov 3 - Michigan at home - LOSE

Nov 10 - at Illinois - WIN

Nov 17 - at Nebraska - LOSE

Nov 24 - Michigan State at home - LOSE

That gets me to 5 wins. I think I'm being conservative here.

No worries, even "experts" can't expect perfection. I just wanted to see a manifestation of your thought process. Your prediction doesn't seem too far off of what Woody or I see happening save for the Illinois game. If the Gophers are as improved as you say I think we'll know by the Syracuse game.

• Fire 1

And like everyone said, even yourself, The Gophers can definitely improve without the W/L record reflecting it. I have little doubt they will be better.

I just think they got a bad draw this year in terms of scheduling. 8 Big Ten bowl teams? brutal.

They also play the best Non-Big Ten midwestern program in WMU(They are steady, quality program) and a BCS school in Syracuse.

They also play the best Non-Big Ten midwestern program in WMU

No love for NIU? :)

Doeren and yes, Kill before him, have had great teams there. Iowa had better watch out.

I forgot about those guys. And I guess the UC bearcats are in the midwest as well.

That's 3 pretty decent programs. NIU has definitely gotten the best out of the WMU series the past 3 years.

The gophers student body is horrible. They dont show up on time and dont support there team.

My sister is a goofer alum and she is an exception(She also loves the Huskers). she cheers hard and is coming to NE for the gophers game. I really hope that Husker fans treat her well.

Don't worry i'll treat her very, very well.

The gophers student body is horrible. They dont show up on time and dont support there team.

My sister is a goofer alum and she is an exception(She also loves the Huskers). she cheers hard and is coming to NE for the gophers game. I really hope that Husker fans treat her well.

Go for it.. She teaches 1st grade, so I think she would be use to your level of intelligence.

I think she would be use to your level of intelligence.

Decked's post was lame (plus he's like 12 years old so it was really creepy) but it's a good idea to always do a grammar check before you call someone stupid.