Lawyers against big Tobacco go after big Food

I shop at a store that doesn't have anything with corn syrup in it

Does this store have a name?

Open Harvest Co-op. 16th and South

They're about the same size as Trader Joe's but better because they're local and get all of their eggs and about 1/3 of their produce from a 50 mile radius. They also have cheese and flour from Nebraska

Welcome Sister! I'm a member, in fact got some of the bean and mushroom patties, local yogurt, basil, and some lemons, just yesterday. I hate to admit but the vegetation/vegan foods they serve are tasty treats. Although I think the guy who rung me up was stoned...

Edited by Canttakeitanymore

They're about the same size as Trader Joe's but better because they're local and get all of their eggs and about 1/3 of their produce from a 50 mile radius. They also have cheese and flour from Nebraska

Welcome Brother! I'm a member, in fact got some of the bean and mushroom patties, local yogurt, basil, and some lemons, just yesterday. I hate to admit but the vegetation/vegan foods they serve are tasty treats. Although I think the guy who rung me up was stoned...

I have to close my eyes when I walk by the cake area. I'm a sister, btw.

• Fire 1

people are stupid and usually it is obvious if something is healthy or not.

if it does not spoil, probably not healthy.

more than 5 ingredients, probably not healthy.

if it claims a fruit flavor (which, really is not what fruits ever taste like. i have never tasted a grape or watermelon that tastes like an airhead or taffy. and banana taffy? give me a break) but no fruit, probably not healthy.

i do have mixed feeling because the fda has been castrated and food companies do take advantage of consumers, so they need to be held in check somehow.

Welcome Brother! I'm a member, in fact got some of the bean and mushroom patties, local yogurt, basil, and some lemons, just yesterday. I hate to admit but the vegetation/vegan foods they serve are tasty treats. Although I think the guy who rung me up was stoned...

I have to close my eyes when I walk by the cake area. I'm a sister, btw.

haha Sorry about that, not many of you on ye olde Huserboard...

I'm with you there, krill. I think a lot of "food" producers in America need to shape up their ways. The majority of food in a grocery store is pretty bad for you, and it's bizarre considering that we live in the most prosperous nation ever. We shouldn't have food this bad, and its mostly our own laziness that got us here.

At the same time, lawyers suck, especially those just out to make a buck.

You can still get the same food products today that a grocery store had 40 years ago. In fact I would argue that there are more healthy products today then 40 years ago (take the variety of fruits and vegetables you can get now compared to then). The only difference is 40 years ago, a grocery store had four or six aisles of food you actually needed. Today it still has at least that amount plus about ten more aisles of crap you don't need, chips, pop, cookies, cereals, beer, snack cakes, candy, etc, etc. Blame the companies all you want but at the end of the day it's you the consumer that has to pick it up and put it in the cart. I would blame the lazy consumer much more the the evil companies but in this day and age, that isn't the American way.

people are stupid and usually it is obvious if something is healthy or not.

if it does not spoil, probably not healthy.

more than 5 ingredients, probably not healthy.

if it claims a fruit flavor (which, really is not what fruits ever taste like. i have never tasted a grape or watermelon that tastes like an airhead or taffy. and banana taffy? give me a break) but no fruit, probably not healthy.

i do have mixed feeling because the fda has been castrated and food companies do take advantage of consumers, so they need to be held in check somehow.

I agree with some of this but not when it comes to marketing food to children. On the other hand, parents don't have to introduce their kids to snickers bars when they're 2, and they can watch PBS cartoons so they don't get junk food commercials. Still, it's difficult to avoid.

Also the change from a single working parent and a stay at home parent to two working parents/ Single parents working 2 jobs has made easy/fast foods in higher demand. I am sure hamburger helper demand was pretty low even in the 70's, as well as frozen pizzas and other premade or mostly made foods. Very rarely now do families have the luxury to have meals 7 days of the week prepared from scratch, I would even venture to guess very few people can make more than 1 meal from scratch anymore.

Also the change from a single working parent and a stay at home parent to two working parents/ Single parents working 2 jobs has made easy/fast foods in higher demand. I am sure hamburger helper demand was pretty low even in the 70's, as well as frozen pizzas and other premade or mostly made foods. Very rarely now do families have the luxury to have meals 7 days of the week prepared from scratch, I would even venture to guess very few people can make more than 1 meal from scratch anymore.

This is very true. The wife and I both work, and we typically eat our meal around 9pm because I insist on cooking something, not making pre-packaged crap.