McKewon article on Pelini--first four years at NU

NUance

Hearing Bo go in depth about his thought processes about the team and the way he is conscious about problems with the teams and finds ways to fix them are what I love about Bo.

I really hope that we can keep Bo as our head coach for a long, long time as long as he keeps showing the progress and consistency that he has shown the past 4 years.

Everyone expects Bo to have come in here and pulled a magic trick like we see other head coaches around the country doing winning championships instantly. The thing we might be losing sight of in that is that we can't have everything - we want a coach that stands for what Nebraska stands for, is here to stay, is going to build a family based on respect, accountability and consistency and loves the kids under him, but we also want a coach that will win a MNC in year two like all the rest but the rest of those guys are 99% sleazeballs. Give me Bo over a Chizik or Mack Brown or Nick Saban or Urban Meyer any day. Ever.

• Fire 2

Everyone expects Bo to have come in here and pulled a magic trick like we see other head coaches around the country doing winning championships instantly. The thing we might be losing sight of in that is that we can't have everything - we want a coach that stands for what Nebraska stands for, is here to stay, is going to build a family based on respect, accountability and consistency and loves the kids under him, but we also want a coach that will win a MNC in year two like all the rest but the rest of those guys are 99% sleazeballs. Give me Bo over a Chizik or Mack Brown or Nick Saban or Urban Meyer any day. Ever.

100% This. I don't think that Saban is a giant snake, just one who's willing to take advantage of lax regulations. We haven't seen cuthroat mentality out of Pelini yet. I'd like to see at least some.

75% of Bielema douchiness is what I want from Pelini.

Words put together to form sentences.

Agreed.

One thing that sticks out to me is that the interpretation of all of the "change" is seen solely as a simplistic, good thing to most. To boil it down, the argument goes something like this: "Well, we really sucked 5+ years ago. So there were a lot of things to change, you have to change it. So we changed it."

But the thing is that a lot of the change, as the article notes, has been done incrementally over the last four years as opposed to all at once. All of those changes (whether it's the transition from 'west coast' to whatever we do now, transitioning from Watson to Beck, transitioning from Carl to Papuchis, etc.) require their own varying amounts of time for things to settle in. Not to mention the fact that each change requires the test of time to figure out whether or not they amount to any measurable degree of success. Just because you do the opposite of what you were previously doing badly doesn't mean that it's going to go well.

In sum, these changes are causing more and more delays to any serious success. And that's not a bad thing - It's not worth doing if it's not done right. I've learn to become patient with what we're doing.

Maybe this was stating the obvious. Just feel like our fan base doesn't exactly wrap their minds around what all of this accumulated change means in the big picture.

• Fire 1

Very good read. Our little Bo is growing up. Does anyone else get this "1991" feeling with this team? That after the Capital One Bowl (citrus bowl) debacle, that things had to change, and began building for a run.

If we're to believe we put all our marbles in the Martinez basket for good reason, then it should have a 1993 feeling to it. I don't think we're on par with some the SEC schools yet, but we should start to see ourselves separate from the majority of the pack in the Big 10. I don't see us being undefeated this year, but it seems reasonable we could easily be a one or two loss team.