Vanilla Your Favorite Flavor?

It will be interesting to see whether Bo stays vanilla on the defensive side of the ball or not. It will be quite tempting to throw everything but the kitchen sink at their inexperienced QB's trying to get a couple gimmees and putting this game away early. On the offensive side of the ball, it will probably depend on how the game is going. If we're able to ram the ball down their throat playing vanilla, we'll probably stay vanilla.

As mentioned, this "vanilla" issue of which you speak likely won't be popping up against Southern Miss and UCLA.

That being said, if the other team can't stop your bread and butter plays, I'm guessing most coaches keep running the bread and butter plays.

Beck might not be that coach. He has enough weapons and enough different looks that his vanilla might be more neopolitan.

Or maybe his bread and butter plays are also available on a sweet roll, sourdough or dutch crunch.

Can I kill this metaphor now?

Going "Vanilla" is a description overly optimistic fans make up when their high expectations are not met. Every head coach plays to win, whatever it takes. Plays are called depending on the offense or defense of the opposing teams. Sometimes the talent on one team greatly trumps the talent on the opposition, but the plays remain the same. Schemes are planned depending on the weaknesses of the opponent. I do not think any coach deliberately plans a vanilla game plan. Coaches devise game strategies on a weekly basis. Lots of things play into that, especially injuries.

And yes, I have coached for many years.

Very cool. Does that apply for all position groups? Sometimes people talk about how "the D-line played vanilla." Is there actually such a thing, or is that just more hooey?

The last group to play "vanilla" is the defense, especially the defensive line. Simply put, there is no such thing. Every player on the field better be giving 150% effort. And, every coach had better have his units prepared to play 150%. Less than that is inexcusable.