So much youth....patience needed

HANC

Can we really say JuCo players are young? I mean most JuCo players only have 2 years of eligibility when they enter D1. I don't know whether or not you can call them young and inexperienced when they come in as juniors. They only have 2 years and they're out in most cases. So, this year Taylor is young and inexperienced and next year he's old and a senior?

We started to frosh tackles against KSU, but they haven't been the starters for the better part of the year. I don't think we can use them as excuses for being young and inexperienced. OU has the ability to place second only to Texas in the South this year. They start I believe either 10 or 11 redshirt or true freshmen. Now, you can call them young. We're nowhere even close to being as young as them. It's a nice excuse just like a new offense was last year, but then you compare it to a team like OU who's played in a much tougher division within the conference than NU I'm not sure it bears much weight. Just my 2 cents worth!

I expected someone to have this type of response. I CAN rationally call a JUCO "young". The game at the D1 level is so much faster than at a JUCO, that when these guys hit the field, or even practice, they feel just like a freshman.

Furthermore, although they are 20 +, they still are walking into a "new" system, and basically start from sratch just like a freshman. This is why many, many "JUCO all-stars" just don't pan-out at a major D1 program.

I still will not call Taylor an "old-guy" next year. This is the downfall of recruiting JUCO kids. They just start to become familar with the speed and the X-O ' s,

(kind of like a 2nd year sophomore), and they are gone.

If you read my post in depth, I never once called the youth an "excuse", I was just stating that with "youth" comes mental mistakes. BC's offense apparently is one of the more complexed offenses around, which may explain why young kids can adapt faster at OU than NU. I honestly don't know, and can agree with you on that particular argument.

Once again, a lot, NOT ALL, of the key mistakes vs KSU were mental (reaction) mistakes that you can't blame BC for.... I am sure that he was going flippin crazy, watching some of the stuff these guys were doing.

this offensive line is missing 5 players that were on the 2 deep last year. brandon k, and kurt m are the only returning starters. and i am not counting herian or incognito. i know incognito did not play last year but he would have been a definate plus for the line last year and this year.

you add those guys in the mix and our running game this year is alot better. which inturn opens up the passing game more.

how can you say that the defense has not improved this year????? dont they lead the nation in sacks, and have they not stopped the other teams enough this year for 6 wins????? dude put down the pipe cause crack kills.

Evridge had a field day? :blink: Texas Tech was close to being a blowout? :blink::blink:

Our running game is terrible compared to last year...yeah... well, I am going to need those TPS reports on my desk in the morning. :woo

:rollin

Everidge only had 138 yards rushing. That is more than the whole NU team combined for the last 3 games. I would say everidge had a damn good day running the ball, passing is a different story. Its the mobile qb syndrome again.

Can we really say JuCo players are young?  I mean most JuCo players only have 2 years of eligibility when they enter D1.  I don't know whether or not you can call them young and inexperienced when they come in as juniors.  They only have 2 years and they're out in most cases.  So, this year Taylor is young and inexperienced and next year he's old and a senior? 

We started to frosh tackles against KSU, but they haven't been the starters for the better part of the year.  I don't think we can use them as excuses for being young and inexperienced.  OU has the ability to place second only to Texas in the South this year.  They start I believe either 10 or 11 redshirt or true freshmen.  Now, you can call them young.  We're nowhere even close to being as young as them.  It's a nice excuse just like a new offense was last year, but then you compare it to a team like OU who's played in a much tougher division within the conference than NU I'm not sure it bears much weight.  Just my 2 cents worth!

I expected someone to have this type of response. I CAN rationally call a JUCO "young". The game at the D1 level is so much faster than at a JUCO, that when these guys hit the field, or even practice, they feel just like a freshman.

Furthermore, although they are 20 +, they still are walking into a "new" system, and basically start from sratch just like a freshman. This is why many, many "JUCO all-stars" just don't pan-out at a major D1 program.

Then dont recruit them????

Can we really say JuCo players are young?  I mean most JuCo players only have 2 years of eligibility when they enter D1.  I don't know whether or not you can call them young and inexperienced when they come in as juniors.  They only have 2 years and they're out in most cases.  So, this year Taylor is young and inexperienced and next year he's old and a senior? 

We started to frosh tackles against KSU, but they haven't been the starters for the better part of the year.  I don't think we can use them as excuses for being young and inexperienced.  OU has the ability to place second only to Texas in the South this year.  They start I believe either 10 or 11 redshirt or true freshmen.  Now, you can call them young.  We're nowhere even close to being as young as them.  It's a nice excuse just like a new offense was last year, but then you compare it to a team like OU who's played in a much tougher division within the conference than NU I'm not sure it bears much weight.  Just my 2 cents worth!

I was kind of thinking along the same lines. If they are just like freshmen in that respect, then why? The only thing I could come up with is physicality. The guys are simply bigger and more refined physically, in general.

I was kind of thinking along the same lines. If they are just like freshmen in that respect, then why? The only thing I could come up with is physicality. The guys are simply bigger and more refined physically, in general.

It seems to me that JUCOs are a much, much bigger gamble for whatever reason.

If you think about the amount of JUCOs that have made a big impact on NU, Farley, D Williams, Kareem Moss, Toby Wright, most have played sparingly as backups. Maybe a couple per year are worth the gamble, but right now, giving out 5-10 schollys per year TO JCs isnt going to build the program.

Edit:Add Bruce Pickens to that list. Im not sure how may JCs make huge impacts at other schools, but NU has had rather mixed success.

Edited by formerfan

If you read the next paragraph that I posted, I said that this is the major downfall of recruiting JUCO kids.

Of course it is a bigger risk! You have to hope that physically and maturity is enough to get them on the field early, because you only have a short time with these kids... the exception are the guys who have 3 years to play 2... in which case you can "red-shirt" them and teach them the system.

I agree with KC Husker... I would like to think that last years recruiting class was not the "norm".... We needed a few "quick" fixes, and the Taylor gamble paid off fairly well...( and please don't start playing the statistic games).... Taylor is much better in this offense than JD was.... and I was a JD fan.

Now, if you get a guy like Octavian, Rozier, Williams, Farley every once in awhile, it is okay to miss on a "few" if you land one of these periodically! And, KSU found fortune and fame raiding the JUCO's..... thier recent struggles absolutely have to be a result of all of the good asssistant coaches whom have left to pursue head coaching positions.

Now, if you get a guy like Octavian, Rozier, Williams, Farley every once in awhile, it is okay to miss on a "few" if you land one of these periodically! And, KSU found fortune and fame raiding the JUCO's..... thier recent struggles absolutely have to be a result of all of the good asssistant coaches whom have left to pursue head coaching positions.

I totally forgot about Rozier :dumdum DUH!

Cosgrove discussed the development of cornerback Zackary Bowman, stating that he has been pleased with his progress.

“(Zackary) Bowman is a kid who had been out of high school for a couple of years, but he was still a freshman within the system,” Cosgrove said. “This year was a tremendous learning experience for him, and I think that you will definitely see the impact of this season in his play next year. He is getting a lot better as the season goes on, and we expect him to be a dominant player.”

We recruit them so at the time we can have a Zac Taylor instead of a Frank Solich kid as in Joe Daily. Frank left us so thin we had to hit the juco ranks hard. We wont in years to come.

From what I've read on NU recruting, we're hitting the JuCo players hard again this year. If it doesn't help bringing them in, then again why so many and hit them so hard again this year? JuCo players for the most part are bandaid players. We should have gotten a bandaid TE for this year, but apparently no one thought that was important as we knew or were pretty sure Herian would be out for the better part of the season after the Mizzou game last year.

Bringing in another big round of JuCo players I believe is one more clinck in BC and staff's armor. I just don't understand the ones they do bring in, and I don't understand why they didn't bring in the one key position we needed it most.

We recruit them so at the time we can have a Zac Taylor instead of a Frank Solich kid as in Joe Daily. Frank left us so thin we had to hit the juco ranks hard. We wont in years to come.

From what I've read on NU recruting, we're hitting the JuCo players hard again this year. If it doesn't help bringing them in, then again why so many and hit them so hard again this year? JuCo players for the most part are bandaid players. We should have gotten a bandaid TE for this year, but apparently no one thought that was important as we knew or were pretty sure Herian would be out for the better part of the season after the Mizzou game last year.

Bringing in another big round of JuCo players I believe is one more clinck in BC and staff's armor. I just don't understand the ones they do bring in, and I don't understand why they didn't bring in the one key position we needed it most.

I am not being a wise-a$$ here, but I am seriously asking this question.

didn't we recruit Tomerlin to be a TE. I know he can play both TE and DE, but I thought initially we ( I mean NU....like I was involved :lol: ) recruited him to play TE.

If that is/was the case, then BC tried to cover a position that we really needed, and if it weren't for an injury, he would have played.

I think that JUCO's are a band-aid method, but in situations like this, (Frank leaving the system talentless, for the most part), it may take a year or two of JUCO's to help until the young kids develop.

Once again, I am asking about Tomerlin, not stating a fact.????