Help for the D line

lo country

In defense of our defense, EVERYONE HAS A HARD TIME STOPPING MOBILE QB'S. That's why it's a trend that continues to rise in this sport. Even the NFL is starting to catch on.

The disclaimer, or rather qualifier, to that statement is the mobile QB actually needs to be a threat to throw the ball. A mobile QB who isn't a threat to throw is nothing more than Taylor in his freshman season. (Success early but once teams realized he wasn't a threat through the air they loaded the box and sold out to stop the run.)

Our defenders were in the right position the majority of the time, we had 11 tackles for loss and 3 sacks. That's not bad for an offense you have no prior game tape and 3 rotating quarterbacks. Let's judge after UCLA. Give the defensive line some credit.

We were terrible in TFL's last year and we let opponents rushed for an average of 4.0 YPC against us. So. Miss averaged 3.9 yesterday.

I think Pelini's scheme is fine, we just don't have the players to do it effectively. At least in the last 14 games we haven't.

This has been mentioned in previous threads before, but it really isn't so much that our schemes are complicated, it just goes back to the scheme in general that we are running on defense. Defensive Coordinators can generally use one of two different schemes: either a One-Gap Defense or a Two-Gap Defense. Under Bo Pelini Nebraska is a 2-Gap defense.

There was a great interview recently by HailVarsity.com with former Nebraska Defensive Coordinator Charlie McBride where he talks about the differences between the One-Gap and Two-Gap Defense. Here is a small quote explaining the role of a two gap defender:

"The two-gap system asks a defender to stand his blocker up, read where the play is going, and handle one of two spots, the A-gap or the guard-tackle gap (B-gap)."

Another great quote from Charlie McBride towards the end of the article was: "If you don't have a defensive line, you can go home."

It's a fantastic read that really does a nice job of explaining what Nebraska's general defensive scheme is, and I would highly encourage any Husker fan or football fan for that matter to check it out: http://hailvarsity.c...-talks-two-gap/

Another great blog post brophyfootball.blogspot.com or "Cripes! Get back to fundamentals" has some very in-depth X's & O's information on Bo Pelini's defense from the last few years. This is another great read for those that enjoy this type of thing: http://brophyfootbal...bel/Bo%20Pelini

My personal opinion is that I am not a big fan of the 2-gap defense. I think it causes our defensive lineman to be too passive. When the ball is snapped they have to think too much instead of just playing and plowing off the ball. Asking a defensive lineman to be in charge of two-gaps is a lot of responsibility to put on one player.

If it were my choice we would go back to running an aggressive 1-gap Cover 1 defense with Robber Coverages like we did under Charlie McBride. That way the defense is dictating to the offense what it can and cannot do, and not the other way around. It should be noted that this type of defensive scheme is also heavily used by Nick Saban at Alabama. (Pictured below is a sample of a 4-3 Cover 1 Robber Defense)

mich_cover1.gif

I agree, a two gap system requires your D-lineman to be animals to engage blockers and get off the block as oppose to a 1 gap where you just attack your gap. At least thats how I understand it. I'm really trying to learn this stuff . You don't tend to see alot of 2 gap in the NFL either except for some 3-4 teams.

Bend but not break.

I was pissed watching the game, guys gashing us for 7-8-9 yds a pop sometimes.

But the more an offense has to execute play after play after play, the more likely you get a holding call, an unforced fumble, a false start, a sack, a 3rd and long....

Which is what happened against USM.

Think texass B12 CCG. It's hard for an offense to put together 9-13 good plays in row mistake free, that results in a td.

We will give up some big plays here and there, but can they do it over and over? Besides last yr, on occasion, Pelini's D has proven tough to score td's against.

This has been mentioned in previous threads before, but it really isn't so much that our schemes are complicated, it just goes back to the scheme in general that we are running on defense. Defensive Coordinators can generally use one of two different schemes: either a One-Gap Defense or a Two-Gap Defense. Under Bo Pelini Nebraska is a 2-Gap defense.

There was a great interview recently by HailVarsity.com with former Nebraska Defensive Coordinator Charlie McBride where he talks about the differences between the One-Gap and Two-Gap Defense. Here is a small quote explaining the role of a two gap defender:

"The two-gap system asks a defender to stand his blocker up, read where the play is going, and handle one of two spots, the A-gap or the guard-tackle gap (B-gap)."

Another great quote from Charlie McBride towards the end of the article was: "If you don't have a defensive line, you can go home."

It's a fantastic read that really does a nice job of explaining what Nebraska's general defensive scheme is, and I would highly encourage any Husker fan or football fan for that matter to check it out: http://hailvarsity.com/2012/08/mcbride-talks-two-gap/

Another great blog post brophyfootball.blogspot.com or "Cripes! Get back to fundamentals" has some very in-depth X's & O's information on Bo Pelini's defense from the last few years. This is another great read for those that enjoy this type of thing: http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/search/label/Bo%20Pelini

My personal opinion is that I am not a big fan of the 2-gap defense. I think it causes our defensive lineman to be too passive. When the ball is snapped they have to think too much instead of just playing and plowing off the ball. Asking a defensive lineman to be in charge of two-gaps is a lot of responsibility to put on one player.

If it were my choice we would go back to running an aggressive 1-gap Cover 1 defense with Robber Coverages like we did under Charlie McBride. That way the defense is dictating to the offense what it can and cannot do, and not the other way around. It should be noted that this type of defensive scheme is also heavily used by Nick Saban at Alabama. (Pictured below is a sample of a 4-3 Cover 1 Robber Defense)

mich_cover1.gif

Awesome post, Duke. Thank you sir!

Our defenders were in the right position the majority of the time, we had 11 tackles for loss and 3 sacks. That's not bad for an offense you have no prior game tape and 3 rotating quarterbacks. Let's judge after UCLA. Give the defensive line some credit.

Nice post. Those 2 stats are actually very good. I really didnt think they were that good. Maybe the better question would be how many of those TFLs and Sacks were from D lineman?

It seemed like most of our TFL's were in the 4th quarter. I was really worried for the first three quarters. They were gashing the D. And what was up with the middle of the field being WIDE open. At times we didn't have a single player inside the has marks.

Nice post. Those 2 stats are actually very good. I really didnt think they were that good. Maybe the better question would be how many of those TFLs and Sacks were from D lineman?

It seemed like most of our TFL's were in the 4th quarter. I was really worried for the first three quarters. They were gashing the D. And what was up with the middle of the field being WIDE open. At times we didn't have a single player inside the has marks.

I'm not trying to use this as a resort, but the defense knew nothing of what they'd face on Saturday. When they finally did settle down though in the second half it was punt after punt, and yes i know the dual threat was killing us, but that's extremely hard to stop, Alabama was probably the only team this weekend that i saw stuff the dual threat/read options every play.

One thing the opposing HC remarked on was the physical play of our D line. I wonder if they platyed into this?

What we will see offensively from the 4 teams we play early will not be for the most part what we will see in the Big 10. I doubt we'll play as much nickel and dime packages when conference games start. I think our D backs are good enough to go 1 on 1 with many conference receivers so we can focus more on stopping the run game. Here's hoping we figure out how to slow down the mobile Qb's by then.