DE/LB

Why was our D-line so far off the ball against South'n Miss? At times it looked like they were lining up a good 6 feet or so off the LOS. Pause the above vid at the 1:18 mark and you'll see what I mean.

They played back off the ball a bit because we had no idea what kind of plays Southern Miss was going to run. Playing back a bit gave them a bit more time to let plays develop in front of them so they could digest things they maybe hadn't practiced for better before they had to react to the play. So while maybe they gave up 2-3 extra yards here or there on a few plays, we likely wouldn't have given up the big play on D if Southern Miss would have gone with a lot of trickery.

Bo even said they were really expecting Southern Miss to come at them with some really crazy stuff and had to adjust and play more conventionally in the second half.

This wasn't unique to this game, though. They did it often throughout last season, so I'm sure there's another reason for it. No idea what that reason could be.

I don't know if this has been discussed previously and I appologize for wasting your time if so.... I realize that our Blackshirts play a 2 gap scheme and somewhat of a reactionary defense but does it drive anyone else crazy to watch our front four lineup a full yard off of the ball? It just seems like they get pushed off the ball easier on run plays and it's much more difficult to create havoc in the backfield on passing plays? Maybe it's just me......? Oh I almost forgot....GBR!!!

The only solution to stopping the QB run on a consistent basis is going to involve the safeties. We will have to abandon the 2-deep safeties that start plays 20 yards back from the line of scrimmage and bring at least one of them up in run support in some fashion. We did that at times on Saturday, and when we did, we stopped the run more effectively.

Nice observation another reason I love Huskerboard.

The only solution to stopping the QB run on a consistent basis is going to involve the safeties. We will have to abandon the 2-deep safeties that start plays 20 yards back from the line of scrimmage and bring at least one of them up in run support in some fashion. We did that at times on Saturday, and when we did, we stopped the run more effectively.

Harvey. Jackson.

Harvey. Jackson.

He's going to take over the other safety spot next to stafford IMO.