What We Learned

walksalone

If UCLA can keep playing like that through their entire season, their only loss will be to USC. Credit where credit is due, they played well.

We did not, unfortunately. We were outplayed on both sides of the ball and out coached. O-line is incosistent as ever. Still not sure why that coach has a job. He should have been gone years ago. Defense is just bad - worse than last year by a good bit. They look sluggish, confused, and lacking in fundamentals.

We're relying too much on Martinez. Play calling is bad - Beck seems to have no clue how to recognize what needs to be done to counter a defense that is coming downhill on you time and time again. Martinez needs more game time and pressure under his belt regarding his change in mechanics. I had hoped that wouldn't be the case, but it is, and it's not much of a surprise. I think he will progress as the season goes on.

We just looked bad all around. Very amateurish. Disappointing to say the least.

They won't get to play our D in every game. They will lose at least 5 games this year. We are just very bad and made them look good. They are not good, which is why this loss is so frustrating.

I learned that you can't arm tackle running backs. They were in position all game, and just missed. I frankly do not know how that's fixed.

I am beginning to learn that Tim Beck hates success. I have no idea why they abandoned the run. None.

I learned that Nebraska really does belong in the Big Ten. They absolutely cannot play in CA.

How were the UCLA fans?

D-bags...but that's nothing new. They have this red-headed stepchild mentality. They don't know how to win. When they do, they act like they've never won before...because....well....they've never won before. It stems from ALWAYS playing second fiddle to u$c. It's like Auburn to Alabama or Oregon state to Oregon, or aTm to texas. Not only are they never a good program, they are the second best team in their own city....that has to sting. Still, it wouldn't hurt them to have a little class.

Defensive talent is way down, but defensive playcalling was really poor in this game. I went through the first quarter and a half and we barely tried anything creative. When we blitzed or tried something different, we got good results (errant throw, sack, etc.). When we sat in Pelini's base D with the linebackers four yards off the LOS, he picked us apart. But that's exactly what we did.

Pelini's base D is great when you have a strong, disruptive D-line and playmakers in the back seven. This team has neither, and Pelini's bend-don't-break strategy turns out bend, bend bend, TD.

In 1956, Nebraska gave up 656 yards to Oklahoma. Oklahoma had won 38 straight games going in. Nebraska finished 4-6 that year.

Today, Nebraska gave up an unofficial count of 653 yards to a UCLA offense starting five freshman, including the quarterback. This included six lost yards on two QB kneels to end the game.

I learned that you can't arm tackle running backs. They were in position all game, and just missed. I frankly do not know how that's fixed.

I am beginning to learn that Tim Beck hates success. I have no idea why they abandoned the run. None.

I learned that Nebraska really does belong in the Big Ten. They absolutely cannot play in CA.

Exactly. The game, to my recollection, was tied at 27. Our offense came out in the I-formation and ran the short toss like 7 times in a row and moved the ball down to about the Bruin 20 and all of a sudden we move to the shotgun and the drive falls apart. Then to compound the problem Beck never went back to the I. What in the f*** was that about?

And the missed tackles are simply mind numbingly stupid. Bo obviously doesn't teach fundamental tackling. A fundamentally sound tackle consists of basically the following 8 parts:

1. Sprint to the ball.

2. Break down.

3. Get your head across the ball carrier's body.

4. Sink your hips.

5. Then shoot your hips.

6. Wrap your arms around his body.

7. Explode through the ball carrier.

8. Planting him into the turf.

I can't remember one fundamentally sound tackle. That was what was so embarrassing.

Exactly. The game, to my recollection, was tied at 27. Our offense came out in the I-formation and ran the short toss like 7 times in a row and moved the ball down to about the Bruin 20 and all of a sudden we move to the shotgun and the drive falls apart. Then to compound the problem Beck never went back to the I. What in the f*** was that about?

And the missed tackles are simply mind numbingly stupid. Bo obviously doesn't teach fundamental tackling. A fundamentally sound tackle consists of basically the following 8 parts:

1. Sprint to the ball.

2. Break down.

4. Sink your hips.

5. Then shoot your hips.

I can't remember one fundamentally sound tackle. That was what was so embarrassing.

1. Sprint to the ball.

2. Break down.

4. Sink your hips.

5. Then shoot your hips.

Dont forget to keep driving your legs otherwise you fall to your knees Alonzo Whaley style.

1. Sprint to the ball.

2. Break down.

4. Sink your hips.

5. Then shoot your hips.

I thought the defense was phenomenal at step two tonight.

• Fire 1

How were the UCLA fans?

D-bags...but that's nothing new. They have this red-headed stepchild mentality. They don't know how to win. When they do, they act like they've never won before...because....well....they've never won before. It stems from ALWAYS playing second fiddle to u$c. It's like Auburn to Alabama or Oregon state to Oregon, or aTm to texas. Not only are they never a good program, they are the second best team in their own city....that has to sting. Still, it wouldn't hurt them to have a little class.

Did they last the entire game without mentioning John Wooden?

Nebraska is a top 5 program. This program deserves top of the line coaching, from head coach to all the assistants. It may be time for Coach Osborne to move on as he is against spending money to further the program on the coaching side. We need an aggresive AD, like the ones in the SEC, as this is the sport that pays the bills. Many problems with this program, and it is far from the kids playing the game.

You are NOT a top 5 program. You haven't won a CONFERENCE title this century. I have been saying this all week and nobody believed me until tonight. Nobody in the national scene cares about Nebraska, nor should they. Just because none of you have anything better to do other than follow a mediocre football team doesn't make Nebraska a national program.

Watch ESPN. When is the last time they have given significant time to Nebraska? Bama, LSU, USC, Oregon, Oklahoma -- that is where the action is.

All you have is a pathetic defense, a shaky kicker, and a quarterback who throws like a girl. What in the world could possibly make you think you have a top 5 program? Is it some games you won back when today's players were still in diapers? Is it your defense that gives up almost 700 yards to a freshman team that had 14 penalties? Or is it your sense of entitlement that 15 years ago you were a legit powerhouse and deserve to be one today?

The only thing you deserve is what you got today: You got your ass handed to you by a team that was better coached, by a team that was faster, and that wanted to win more than you.