Where We Go From Here

I posted this in the What We Learned Thread, but I think it bears repeating. For everyone who has a somewhat vested interest in the football program.

We lost. We got outplayed. That much can be said.

A loss is never easy, so let us not pretend that there aren't glaring issues with this football team, most of which lie on the defensive side of the ball. Never should 30 points and 400+ yards be in a losing effort. Never.

However, the season is only 2 games old. This is not the time to sulk, take our ball and go home.

This team is better than that. We can't let this game destroy us, because there are 10 other games to be played, some against more difficult teams than UCLA.

The loss should motivate them, to become better than what they showed, to be better than what they know. It should drive them, to practice harder, to work harder, to get smarter, to get stronger.

Only time will tell if they learned their lesson.

I wanted us to win, I thought we were going to win. UCLA proved me wrong, Nebraska proved me wrong.

I'm disappointed, but I'm not distraught. The amount of overreaction is expected. Like usual, it is unnecessary.

It is amazing how so many people here go on suicide watch after games like this... Personally I find these games to make me a better coach. Our defensive front 4 is soft. So lets go to a soft front 3 and play a 3-4. Play Cooper and the next most fast big guy for our outside LB's. Plug Compton and another big LB in the middle for main run support and here ya go. UCLA gutted us on the outside all game with speed. We're just too slow.

It is amazing how so many people here go on suicide watch after games like this... Personally I find these games to make me a better coach. Our defensive front 4 is soft. So lets go to a soft front 3 and play a 3-4. Play Cooper and the next most fast big guy for our outside LB's. Plug Compton and another big LB in the middle for main run support and here ya go. UCLA gutted us on the outside all game with speed. We're just too slow.

I think what this game did was expose the true problems of our defense! Teams are going to watch this game film for the successful way to beat Nebraska. We hardly blitz and when we do our LB's are either slow or way out of position to do any disrupting damage.

I think what this game did was expose the true problems of our defense! Teams are going to watch this game film for the successful way to beat Nebraska. We hardly blitz and when we do our LB's are either slow or way out of position to do any disrupting damage.

We shouldn't give other teams any reason to think they can do that. When Wisconsin comes to town, that's when we need to start showing other B1G teams that they can try, and fail, at having a successful offense against us.

Who gives a f-ck? Seriously.

Now we get to watch us run the score up on Arkansas State and somehow feel good about ourselves? I haven't felt so damn apathetic this early in the season in, well, never.

We have hit the ceiling. 9-4 is as good as it gets without regime change. Are we as a fan base happy with that?

Now we get to watch us run the score up on Arkansas State and somehow feel good about ourselves? I haven't felt so damn apathetic this early in the season in, well, never.

We have hit the ceiling. 9-4 is as good as it gets without regime change. Are we as a fan base happy with that?

I would think that as a fan, you would give all the f-cks in the world where we go from here. The season doesn't stop when you lose one game. You might have to wait for 2-3, maybe 4 weeks to see where we are as a program, and that might not be real fun. But these next few weeks are important. It's not about feeling good because we're playing a lesser opponent.

We shouldn't be happy with 9 wins, but I know a lot of fan bases who would take 9 wins every year.

You still think we can run the score up Arky St. I don't.

I would think that as a fan, you would give all the f-cks in the world where we go from here. The season doesn't stop when you lose one game. You might have to wait for 2-3, maybe 4 weeks to see where we are as a program, and that might not be real fun. But these next few weeks are important. It's not about feeling good because we're playing a lesser opponent.

We shouldn't be happy with 9 wins, but I know a lot of fan bases who would take 9 wins every year.

I feel like I'm watching a program stuck in neutral. Worse yet, one that's just been passed by a program that's been irrelevant for 20 years, has a SECOND GAMER for a head coach and played 8 freshmen. You have to forgive one for feeling just a little disillusioned.

• Fire 1

I feel like I'm watching a program stuck in neutral. Worse yet, one that's just been passed by a program that's been irrelevant for 20 years, has a SECOND GAMER for a head coach and played 8 freshmen. You have to forgive one for feeling just a little disillusioned.

Maybe UCLA isn't as bad as we think. We know how good we are but do we really know how good UCLA is? What if they go on and win the rest of their games for the season, losing only to USC? How will we feel then? I think we'll feel pretty good because we went toe to toe with a team that was undefeated until they played the #1 or #2 team in the nation. I say press on. Bo knows there is a lot of work to do, so it will be interesting to see what improves next week.

We shouldn't give other teams any reason to think they can do that. When Wisconsin comes to town, that's when we need to start showing other B1G teams that they can try, and fail, at having a successful offense against us.

I mostly agree with your OP. But this ^^ is ludicrous man. Essentially you're saying that we won't put forth any effort on defense in our OOC games and suddenly flip a switch and it'll all come together.

Simply stated we have some rather serious, glaring, and troubling issues with this defense. We have a DL that couldn't pressure or shut down a Pop Warner team and the most unathletic LBs of any major BCS school.

I admit that I was a little too optimistic before the season started about what we had on defense. My only hope going forward is that we can either fix what we have or hope to God that Curry, Valentine, Moss and all those LBs we've signed in last year's class and have committed in this upcoming class are the real deal.

Because if we can't get this defense shored up 7-5 or worse could actually be feasible.

I mostly agree with your OP. But this ^^ is ludicrous man. Essentially you're saying that we won't put forth any effort on defense in our OOC games and suddenly flip a switch and it'll all come together.

Simply stated we have some rather serious, glaring, and troubling issues with this defense. We have a DL that couldn't pressure or shut down a Pop Warner team and the most unathletic LBs of any major BCS school.

I admit that I was a little too optimistic before the season started about what we had on defense. My only hope going forward is that we can either fix what we have or hope to God that Curry, Valentine, Moss and all those LBs we've signed in last year's class and have committed in this upcoming class are the real deal.

Because if we can't get this defense shored up 7-5 or worse could actually be feasible.

You misunderstood my point.

The UCLA game is done and gone, what we did is now on film for everyone else to see. Beating up on Arkansas State and Idaho State, by allowing 300 yards combined between the two teams, isn't going to change what Bielema and Meyer are going to think they'll be able to do.

That's why we have to take these two weeks and learn the defense, or make the defense a whole lot easier to understand. That way, when Wisconsin rolls in, or we head to Ohio State, we don't give Michigan, Michigan State, and Northwestern reason to believe they can do what UCLA did to us.

"We have hit the ceiling. 9-4 is as good as it gets without regime change. Are we as a fan base happy with that?"

"I feel like I'm watching a program stuck in neutral. Worse yet, one that's just been passed by a program that's been irrelevant for 20 years, has a SECOND GAMER for a head coach and played 8 freshmen. You have to forgive one for feeling just a little disillusioned."

I-agree.jpg