The 2 Gap system

GBRrodney

For the life of me I can not understand why we weren't running the 3-4 type of D that we used against Mizzery. I think that would have been the perfect D for the first two games for sure the UCLA game. I have a feeling the staff may have underestimated the Strength of the UCLA Offense.

I am happy they are looking to try and move to this though I think with our lack of developed talent upfront this may bode well until we hit a more power run set.

Sounds like a 3-4 was implemented today and we may be moving to more of that

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I don't see why not. Teams are penetrating through our line that would impress Ron Jeremy :/

If we have any plans on stopping the run, 3-4 would be a start. And 4-3 would be ideal. Imagine that, stopping the running game and making the opponent one dimensional. There is a reason why the position is called "Linebackers". Hopefully we have some on the roster that are ready for the opportunity. And not by inserting a bunch of 200lb safeties at the position. Real linebackers.

If our current DLine could put pressure on the QB and slow the running game down that would be great. But that's asking too much out of what we have.

Im not sure we have the greatest personnel to run this right now but we might in the following years! It should be a much more attacking style defense with LBs blitzing rather than trying to cover superior athletes! Horray Beer! If it were me I would bring Stafford down in the box from time to time as well! Not sure what it will look like but it could be something similar to this...

DE-Merideth

NG- Randle/Rome

DE- Steinkuhler

OLB- Ankrah/Santos

OLB-Martin/Fisher

ILB-Whaley

ILB-Compton

we have 4 linebackers right now. Those are the guys lined up a couple yards behind the line of scrimmage correct? then we have 3 defensive backs behind them. and 2 guys lined up with receivers, and 2 safeties in the backfield. Bo calls it a 0-4-3-2-2. I think that 0 is what's causing problems in our rush defense. We should try putting at least a couple guys up on the line of scrimmage, nose-to-nose with the offensive line. But i'm just an "internet genius" so maybe the defensive line is overrated?

• Fire 1

Im not sure we have the greatest personnel to run this right now but we might in the following years! It should be a much more attacking style defense with LBs blitzing rather than trying to cover superior athletes! Horray Beer! If it were me I would bring Stafford down in the box from time to time as well! Not sure what it will look like but it could be something similar to this...

DE-Merideth

NG- Randle/Rome

DE- Steinkuhler

OLB- Ankrah/Santos

OLB-Martin/Fisher

ILB-Whaley

ILB-Compton

Whaley needs to have a seat, I think Ankrah and Martin have the ability to do that job at LB, but not the speed. If we blitz I think we send them as we would want to keep the speed in the LB corps, but then again Compton is slow as hell too. None of them have the speed that we need at the LB position.

Ok, I'll admit I am still learning the ins and outs of this game but it seemed like our D watches the other players instead of the ball. Aren't you suppose to keep your eye on the ball? Also, they wait for the players to run to them instead of running to the ball. Aren't you suppose to run to the ball or are they afraid that if they do that they will over run the runner? I'm so old school. I remember when you played the Huskers the runners never got through our defensive line. It was BAM and they were down for the count!

The other thing I noticed is how they defend. It's like they're playing patty cake with the opposing player. Can they push off better and get away? I know they can't if the other team is holding (which UCLA did a lot in the game on Sat.) How would you coach that?

I also can't believe how these boys tackle. Didn't they play tackle football in high school? Sheesh! I know some women who can tackle better then some of these boys can!

Thanks! I love this board. It's so diverse in its opinions and rich in discussion! AND! When all is said and said ;) and done we all love our Huskers! GO BIG RED!

When your defensive lineman are lined up 2 yards off the damn ball it doesnt matter what scheme you are running. Baker and Rome were lined up like that everytime and that might have been the most frustrating thing, besides the missed tackles.

I feel the same way. 2 gap is way over my head, I am an armchair quarterback, but I do not understand why we are so far off the ball. I too see this the old-school way where half a step is the difference. I get the rationale of keeping it in front of you, but it just seems too extreme to me. There was a thread I can't find earlier about how far off the ball we are and it just seems like we are too far away.

I don't believe Bo forgot how to coach defense. I can totally see Bo as the head coach chasing the offensive issues especially with the recent o-line drama and get caught assuming we know how to tackle before it got exposed. I think and hope that can be corrected. Just surprised the fundamentals aren't there by now, was football 101 ever emphasized enough?

IDK if it even matters where we line up when the first thing we do is have a contest to see who can stand the tallest.

Speaking of standing......................does it drive anyone else bat **** crazy that when our defensive line realizes that the opposing team is going to pass, that they don't get their hands up to try and knock the ball down?! Drives me almost as crazy as the poor tackling! It's basic fundamentals of being a defensive player for christs sake!