My take on what needs to be done to right this ship...

FLU

How much money are we dumping into the basketball program again? Let's see.......how much money do even the most successful basketball programs bring in? Hmm.......we can afford to dump hundreds of millions into a bottom-dweller program that will never give us a return on investment (even if Miles can turn us into the second coming of Kansas), but we can't drop money on the football program for top-tier coaches? Pfft....

Flu, I hear exactly what you're saying, but you're pissing up a rope with this bunch. Nebraska wants to pay for performance--NOT before, so we're going to be forever stuck gambling on unproven commodities rather than spending more money up front to help reduce the risk of failure. All I know is that at best I only have so many more decades to live.

Let's take a look at this ignorance for a moment. Are you saying that you make important monetary decisions based on hopes and dreams over reasonable analysis? There isn't a single current coach out there who is worth the same or more than Pelini that would leave their current job, and anybody worth Pelini is no worse or better at face value. You'd be hiring a coach a lot like Pelini, as corncraze said.

Is that truthfully a reasonable gamble, in your opinion? Do you honestly feel that our problems can be solved by hiring another Pelini-level coach? The logistics behind hiring a great coach are unreasonable, so you're saying you want us to dump millions on someone who may or may not be better than Pelini, and that we should play this coaching carousel game until we find the right person?

Doesn't necessarily have to be a big name. It could be someone with proven HC experience at a smaller school with a strong staff that has proven results in both recruiting and X's and O's.

We hired someone with zero HC experience that doesn't recruit well and doesn't seem to have the confidence to pick the best staff he can find but rather picks guys that he personally likes for whatever reason. Nebraska will never lose less than 4 games a year with this guy.

I actually think we'll lose less then 4 games this year... B1G is weak....

right B1G is weak this year but if Huskers don't fix defense, kicking game and settle TM down, I say we will lose 5 games

I have supported Bo thinking we have a coach that will always put a quality defense on the field. Let's give him time with the offense. Boy was I wrong...the defense is actually the weak link and does not look like it has the personnel to run Bo's scheme and not sure if Bo can figure it our either. There are serious questions about if Bo is the guru we thought he could be or did he just have the players at OU, LSU, and then Suh. I give him this season and likely one more. If it is not figured out, we have got to go get someone else. Come 2014 I want to be playing in BCS playoffs or being considered a perennial team that can get there.

So, here is my short list of who we HAVE to look at seriously:

Chris Petersen - always puts quality teams on the field. Boise St. could have easily not shown up certain games where they were big favorites but nope they always show up and often upset the big boys. NU has problems showing up for games. Petersen plays to win and he gets it done more often than not. I never feel like Boise St. is out of the game. Last night, I knew we were done at the start of the second half.

Gary Patterson - solid coach who gets more out his team than most. Another solid track record, could recruit Texas and would represent the university well. Could build a solid defense and running game.

Kirby Smart - runs the defense that we should be running here at NU. Alabama is NU from the 90's and plays aggressive downhill defense. He would be a guy I'd take a long interview with and see what he is all about. He will land a head coaching job soon.

After a while some coaches might want a new challange. Ohio St is a proven name which is why they got meyer. Are you saying that saban after winning another championship this year might not want a new challange to compete against meyer in the big 10.

Nick Saban is the highest paid college football coach, has two Alabama national championships, the best team in the country with insane depth, surrounded by the best football recruiting states in the country, and is considered nationwide to be the best college football coach. He has, for all intents and purposes, the BEST college job in the world.

And we honestly think he'll want to leave the best conference and position in the country so he can chase Meyer's tail to the B1G and look for a challenge?

He'd have to be out of his mind or getting paid insane amounts of money. If I'm Saban I'm not leaving Alabama or the SEC unless I'm going to get paid millions more wherever I'm going, and there's no way Nebraska pays Saban millions more than what he's making. Meyer was making $4 million a year at Florida, and is making the same at Ohio State, for reference. Saban would have to be completely out of his mind to come here.

Again, Saban has the best coaching job in the nation and the best circumstances to succeed. The whole idea is ludicrous.

I'll say it again: until we are willing to open up the pocketbook and hire an established big name coach that kids actually want to play for things aren't going to change. Bo has reached his peak as a head coach. Recruiting = championships. LSU, Bama, etc. consistently rank in the Top 5 for recruiting and look where they end up. We usually finish #20-#25 in recruiting and look where we end up. Bo does not have a good reputation nationally; people think he's crazy/a loose cannon. I personally like Bo, and thought he was a good hire, but the lack of defense baffles me, and the same mistakes continue season after season.

Some names who come to mind: Bill Cowher, Chris Petersen, Jon Gruden, Gary Patterson, Jimmy Johnson??? Heck I'd even be willing to give Bobby Petrino a chance at redemption.

I just want my Huskers back. crying.jpg

FIRE BO!!!!!

He sucks!

• Fire 1

I'll say it again: until we are willing to open up the pocketbook and hire an established big name coach that kids actually want to play for things aren't going to change. Bo has reached his peak as a head coach. Recruiting = championships. LSU, Bama, etc. consistently rank in the Top 5 for recruiting and look where they end up. We usually finish #20-#25 in recruiting and look where we end up. Bo does not have a good reputation nationally; people think he's crazy/a loose cannon. I personally like Bo, and thought he was a good hire, but the lack of defense baffles me, and the same mistakes continue season after season.

Some names who come to mind: Bill Cowher, Chris Petersen, Jon Gruden, Gary Patterson, Jimmy Johnson??? Heck I'd even be willing to give Bobby Petrino a chance at redemption.

I just want my Huskers back. crying.jpg

FIRE BO!!!!!

He sucks!

• Fire 1

No one mentioning Solich?

I, for one, was never a Solich fan. Didn't think he was a good recruiter at all. Hate to say it, but I do still place a lot of blame on him for getting us started on the predicament we are now in. I am happy seeing him achieve success at Ohio.

"We're not going to pay a coach $9 million"

Why not?

I don't think it would take nearly that much. And you're right, I don't see Saban or Meyer leaving where they are, and I wouldn't want Miles anyway. My point is, you have to be willing to pay big bucks nowadays, just like the top-tier schools are doing. If you're not willing to do that, then you can't expect to be a top-tier team.