My take on what needs to be done to right this ship...

FLU

Seems like they don't want to burn redshirts so they keep kids off the field, even if the ones who are on the field aren't producing. I've always been one who believes that the best player should play, not the one with the most seniority.

i think this is one area I really think Pelini is wrong- he is too loyal to people that have been around the longest. I never thought that someone could be too loyal, but I think Bo is and this goes for players and coaches.

The guys Bo has gotten in the last couple years (Valentine,Curry,Moss,Williams) seem like better athletes then the guys he was gettting before that (Ashburn,Randle, and the Minnesota kid Tobi?)..... Also compare Compton,Whaley, and Fisher to Santos, Zaire,, and Charles Jackson.... Now im talking athletic ability, and that seems to have improved in recruiting lately....

We haven't seen those guys play yet, though. Compton looked really good coming out of highschool, as did Whaley. But something's not going well in developing players.

I was just speaking to athletic ability. Who knows how they'll turn out....

Oh, my fault on that. Misinterpreted. But, in that aspect i think you're right, our recent DL class looks much better than the current one.

LSU head honchos used to have the same mentality that NU's execs currently have. They didn't want to pay big money to hire a big-name coach. However, finally they got fed up with mediocrity and opened up their checkbook and said, "OK Nick Saban, how much do you want?" And the rest is history.

Until Nebraska's willing to do the same, mediocrity will be the norm.

Was Saban a head honcho before he started winning at LSU?

Yep -- he was winning at Michigan State, and had established himself as perhaps the top "up-and-coming" coach in the sport, similar to what Urban Meyer was labeled years later.

Once again, no one here is saying to fire Pelini. However, if the team continues to regress and show no improvement or signs of progress, and starts to lose to teams that they have no business losing to (i.e. UCLA) on a regular basis, and achieves under 9 wins, then it must be considered. I guess it all depends on how long NU execs are willing to settle for this same substandard crap.

People aren't going to give Pelini an indefinite amount of time to have championship teams, but this kind of talk is nothing more/less than overreaction. We fire Pelini after four consecutive 9-plus win seasons, we are not going to get a better coach to come here.

So...how many more seasons do you give him when we beat cupcake teams...win 50% of games vs teams with winning records, and constantly get blown out of the water by ranked teams? I am curious....

Also -- to those who have stated "Why would you want a Saban or a Meyer? They have a reputation for jumping ship after a few years..." well, Pelini had the exact same rep when he got here. He never stayed in one place for very long. Actually, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Pelini jump ship to brighter pastures if he feels his seat starting to get warm.

I'll say it again: until we are willing to open up the pocketbook and hire an established big name coach that kids actually want to play for things aren't going to change. Bo has reached his peak as a head coach. Recruiting = championships. LSU, Bama, etc. consistently rank in the Top 5 for recruiting and look where they end up. We usually finish #20-#25 in recruiting and look where we end up. Bo does not have a good reputation nationally; people think he's crazy/a loose cannon. I personally like Bo, and thought he was a good hire, but the lack of defense baffles me, and the same mistakes continue season after season.

Some names who come to mind: Bill Cowher, Chris Petersen, Jon Gruden, Gary Patterson, Jimmy Johnson??? Heck I'd even be willing to give Bobby Petrino a chance at redemption.

I just want my Huskers back. crying.jpg

I would never want to see that scumbag Bobby Petrino coaching our Huskers

LSU head honchos used to have the same mentality that NU's execs currently have. They didn't want to pay big money to hire a big-name coach. However, finally they got fed up with mediocrity and opened up their checkbook and said, "OK Nick Saban, how much do you want?" And the rest is history.

I think you just answered the question. We need to hire Nick Saban, and i think he would come for the right price.

Bo seems to scoff at the idea at going after highly touted recruits (like top ten at their position, touted). He's all in on the idea of getting a bargain player. I.e. a player that isn't necesarilly the best at his position but shows athleticism and has a strong work ethic and character. Yes, he'll go after guys like Owa... but its a failure when we can't get him. No backup plan. Guys like Owa should be the backup plan... with guys that are top notch as our main focus. Your formula isn't working, Bo.

And culture wise... Bo thinks he has the correct culture, but it's not quite there. At least two more stations need to be added to practice. With a great amount of emphasis focused on accountability and nurturing a DESIRE to learn at every second of practice. If there is any standing around, guys should be furious and move onto another station at their own will. Guys should be fiending reps and getting better in general. It should be an obsession. Thats how it was in the 90's. You could have a practice with no coaches present and it would be the exact same as any other practice. Practice are the games. Practice is the only thing that matters. Practice IS the games. And then elevate that mentality come game time... judgement day. Hair on fire. Whole life depends on this. The universe depends on this. Father, Mother, Sister, Brother depend on this. Everything depends on this more than anywhere else. Nebraska deserves to win more than anybody else in any other sport deserves to win. It's just not there.

Bo is still my coach right now. He just needs to take the urgency dial and turn it to extreme... and then insert the key, turn it, open up the clear little door, and press the blinking red button. TURN IT UP!! EVERYTHING!!

• Fire 1

I think you just answered the question. We need to hire Nick Saban, and i think he would come for the right price.

Saban wouldn't come here, simply because Alabama would exceed any offer that we make. Still, there are plenty of other great coaches who are out there that WOULD come, for the right price. I actually think Rich Rod would do well here -- I think Michigan got rid of him too soon. Chris Petersen would be great.

People aren't going to give Pelini an indefinite amount of time to have championship teams, but this kind of talk is nothing more/less than overreaction. We fire Pelini after four consecutive 9-plus win seasons, we are not going to get a better coach to come here.

So...how many more seasons do you give him when we beat cupcake teams...win 50% of games vs teams with winning records, and constantly get blown out of the water by ranked teams? I am curious....

You want some arbitrary number? Fine, I give Pelini 100 seasons to fix the team.

That's pointless, and you know it. It doesn't matter how many seasons someone is here, it matters what they do with those seasons. Coaches get fired after one season, some coaches get fired after 10 seasons. This is only the second game of the season, and while things don't look promising, these discussions serve absolutely no purpose until later in the season, after we've seen what this team overall ability is.

If Pelini gets to 8 or 9 wins this season, which I think is still doable given the crap play we saw in the B1G yesterday, and we fire him, we won't get a good caliber coach to come here. We'll get someone like Pelini from five years ago - a coordinator whose had some success but we don't really know what he'll do. Then, we'll end up giving him four-to-five years to be successful, and the waiting game goes on and on.

Stop caring so much. You can care and not let it lead you to irrational blather.

If we go 8-4 or 7-5 then Bos seat will be warming up, I still don't think we would/should pull the trigger, but even if we do win just 8 and he stays, he wil have the 2013 schedule to bail him out, there's at least 10 wins without taking a snap. However I still think we can have a decent year. I see another 9-3 without the championship game, that will go to Msu, and an Outback bowl loss to an sec team