Bo's Philosophy: Knowledge over Athleticism

Fuzzy, I agree with your overall point, but something has to be done. I don't think anybody who posts on this boards knows anything about Bo's actual playbook, but many here understand the basic scheme idea, what kind of players you need to have to make it successful, and how those players should execute it. I'm not as schematically savvy as other people, but the statistics over our last 16 games explain why something is off kilter.

Our 2011 opponents averaged about 4.0 YPC. In 2012, USM averaged 4.0 YPC and UCLA a shocking 6.1 YPC. I haven't personally looked up this information, but somebody said UCLA also had three redshirt freshman playing on the o-line, and I know for a fact their QB is a redshirt freshman. And after all that inexperience we gave up 6.1 YPC. And it's not like this is a fluke or an "everybody has a bad game" situation. Our defensive stats were appalling and they've gotten worse since last year, despite returning almost all our defensive line talent, most of our linebacking corp, and a secondary with a lot of experience. I mean, you watch these guys and it looks like it's not even a scheme issue - we straight up can't physically take care of an opponent. We can't use our power or technique to make plays consistently. Something is very, very off, and given the experience we have back, it shouldn't be.

So, like I said, I agree with you in that people are going a little over the top, and I'm sure you agree with me saying something has to be done.

I rewatched the game, and i most of the defensive lines problems that i saw was fundamentals of shedding the block. Maybe Coach K is pushing more techniques than fundamentals, i don't know.

The defense needs to earn fan support back. Best way to do that? For starters, keep Arkansas St. and Idaho St. off the scoreboard when we play them over the next two weeks.

Given that Arky St poured 34 on an Oregon defense that "just might" be faster than ours, I don't expect our D be able to stifle Arky St to the extent that we would hope to.

Why does Bo insist on starting the players that know the defensive system best over players that are more athletic but have less knowledge? I'm glad a player knows where he and the other 10 players are supposed to be on a given play, but it's worthless when said player(s) never makes the play. Put the best athletes on the field and let them play football.

A prime example:

Lavonte's first year. Bo continuously said that Lavonte didn't know the playbook very well and he was constantly out of position. How did that work out for us? Pretty darn well. All he did was make plays all over the field because he was a heck of an athlete.

Bo needs to wake up and realize that athleticism can trump playbook knowledge. Especially when said knowledgeable starters give up 648 yards. I believe we have better defensive talent riding the bench because they can't grasp the system. Put them in the game and see what happens.

This is all fine and dandy, until some superathlete/moron blows a coverage. Then we'll all be saying "Why can't we get guys who know the system? It doesn't matter if you can run if you don't know the plays!!"

Why does Bo insist on starting the players that know the defensive system best over players that are more athletic but have less knowledge? I'm glad a player knows where he and the other 10 players are supposed to be on a given play, but it's worthless when said player(s) never makes the play. Put the best athletes on the field and let them play football.

A prime example:

Lavonte's first year. Bo continuously said that Lavonte didn't know the playbook very well and he was constantly out of position. How did that work out for us? Pretty darn well. All he did was make plays all over the field because he was a heck of an athlete.

Bo needs to wake up and realize that athleticism can trump playbook knowledge. Especially when said knowledgeable starters give up 648 yards. I believe we have better defensive talent riding the bench because they can't grasp the system. Put them in the game and see what happens.

This is all fine and dandy, until some superathlete/moron blows a coverage. Then we'll all be saying "Why can't we get guys who know the system? It doesn't matter if you can run if you don't know the plays!!"

Hahaha. So true.

A prime example:

I've doing a lot of reading here lately and not posting, but I thought I would chime in here. The difference is the talented player who is out of position has enough talent to recover and still make a play while the player with less talent but the knowlege may be in the correct position, he often still is not able to make the play (Austin Cassidy). I know you have to strike a balance betweeen the two, but in my opinion, unless a player is completely, 100% clueless as to assignments, if he is a superior talent, I want him on the field.

I don't see how any of you can say we are starting players who know the system right now anyway? If this is the way the system is supposed to work and we allowed the 2nd most yards in Nebraska football history using this GREAT SYSTEM then I'm selling all my stock right now! In my opinion, if we got guys who can come in and make some plays but execute the system wrong every once in a while then I say SO BE IT. It seemed to work out great for LAVONTE DAVID. Your all arguing as if we have guys on the field that are doing their jobs right now. THEY CLEARLY ARE NOT.

Plain and simple. Bo Pelini's entire defensive scheme only works if you can apply pressure with a four man rush. Point blank. If a four man rush cannot apply pressure, it does not work. We've had pressure with a four man rush only once in the last couple years and that was against Michigan State. No pressure with four, the defense doesn't work.

Plain and simple. Bo Pelini's entire defensive scheme only works if you can apply pressure with a four man rush. Point blank. If a four man rush cannot apply pressure, it does not work. We've had pressure with a four man rush only once in the last couple years and that was against Michigan State. No pressure with four, the defense doesn't work.

We still used a 4 man rush back in 2010. From 3:19 to 4:40 is exactly how our d-line should be. Physical and always trying to get to the QB. We could of stopped mobile QBs playing the way we did in in that video

We still used a 4 man rush back in 2010. From 3:19 to 4:40 is exactly how our d-line should be. Physical and always trying to get to the QB. We could of stopped mobile QBs playing the way we did in in that video

that game was a complete anomaly. it was an empty back set most of the time with an immobile qb. the d-line could just pin their ears back and rush the passer. that is much easier than having to decide whether to rush the passer or wait to see if you have to stop/contain a runner. they looked so much better because, for whatever reason, mizzou decided to be one-dimensional.

The Husker Sports Nightly host said Pelini and his staff usually start upperclassmen because they're upperclassmen, and then will start to use the younger guys as the season moves along. I've never paid much attention to the exact age of our starters, but I'm not sure exactly how valid this statement is.

I honestly believe that if Pelini thought a younger player was better than an older player, he would play the younger player. He doesn't have time for soft spots or reminiscing on his days at tOSU - he's the head coach of Nebraska and he has to win if he wants to keep his job. Seems foolish and irresponsible that he would let a 20-plus year grudge get in the way of him being a good coach and putting his players in a position to succeed.

The good news is what was confirmed during post-practice interviews today - A LOT of younger guys are getting looks this week. I only listened to bits and pieces, but from what I gathered, we should expect to see more young faces out there.

An interesting stat today - I remember watching a play against UCLA where they busted a huge play for 30-plus yards, and the person who ended up making the tackle was none other than Baker Steinkuhler. Here's another fun fact I learned - that was his only tackle that game. A defensive tackle, finishing the game with one tackle, 30-plus yards away from the line of scrimmage. Great hustle, but my word...

Enhance, that play by Baker was closer to 60 yards away, and anyway, tackles are sort of a meaningless statistic. There are all sorts of reasons why a guy may not get many tackles in a game - for instance, maybe they attacked the sides of the field more in their running game, etc.

If two guys are close to even, you play the veteran who has been there before. I think that's a no-brainer! Bring the rookie along slowly, but he has to learn the ropes and go through the process first. Get his feet wet and bring him along slowly if you can, to avoid freshman mistakes on the field.

Enhance, that play by Baker was closer to 60 yards away, and anyway, tackles are sort of a meaningless statistic. There are all sorts of reasons why a guy may not get many tackles in a game - for instance, maybe they attacked the sides of the field more in their running game, etc.

If two guys are close to even, you play the veteran who has been there before. I think that's a no-brainer! Bring the rookie along slowly, but he has to learn the ropes and go through the process first. Get his feet wet and bring him along slowly if you can, to avoid freshman mistakes on the field.

Fair enough, defensive tackles aren't supposed to be leading the team in tackles, but it's still a pretty eye-opening statistic given he had 8 the week before. Our main contributing DT's combined for six tackles of the 82 we made. Six - against two redshirt freshman o-linemen and a true freshman. Regardless of scheme, that's pretty bad, no?

I agree with all the above comments. McBride's scheme was simple and opposing teams hated to face NU. It was pitiful watching slow players trailing 3 yards behind receivers last nigh; almost as bad as watching the D-line line up a yard off the LOS and then put no pressure on the QB.

At the half UCLA decided to pressure Martinez. Martinez didn't like it. I don't fault Martinez, I fault Bo for not pressuring UCLA's freshman QB relentlessly.

You realize Cosgrove and McBride worked very close on the system that cost him his job don't you? McBrides defense was anything but simple.