Bo's Philosophy: Knowledge over Athleticism

Does anyone know what defensive changes they are making to get more speed on the defense? Huskers Illustrated said they were doing something.

Trading defenses with Alabama may be the only way to do that at this point

they can not do that. all those players would have to sit out for a year. then we would have no defense at all for an entire year. sorry, bro, that is just not going to happen.

this seems to have already happened. :dunno

i saw that coming.

Does anyone remember an Nebraska defense that appeared to lack talent like this one? Even in the Callahan years we had some pretty good talent.. I know there are some younger guys that appear they have a decent amount of athleticism so I am just talking about they guys we have seen on the field in the first two games. This is probably been discussed but I have been off the board for awhile

Does anyone remember an Nebraska defense that appeared to lack talent like this one? Even in the Callahan years we had some pretty good talent.. I know there are some younger guys that appear they have a decent amount of athleticism so I am just talking about they guys we have seen on the field in the first two games. This is probably been discussed but I have been off the board for awhile

I thought 2007 was lacking in Talent, but Bo came in and proved that to be untrue.... I have faith that Bo can find the right guys, and make the right changes. I mean, the guy didn't forget how to coach defense overnight.... We'll be fine....

You keep hearing how redshirt freshmen and true freshman are studying hard to learn the defensive playbook and some are starting to get the hang of it.

It contradicts the notion that Bo's playbook is too confusing for players. If young athletes can come in here and grasp the playbook quickly over veterans, maybe the issue is not that some players can't understand the defensive playbook, but rather not putting in the work to understand it.

You keep hearing how redshirt freshmen and true freshman are studying hard to learn the defensive playbook and some are starting to get the hang of it.

It contradicts the notion that Bo's playbook is too confusing for players. If young athletes can come in here and grasp the playbook quickly over veterans, maybe the issue is not that some players can't understand the defensive playbook, but rather not putting in the work to understand it.

Don't be bringing that logical crap into here...it doesn't belong.

Like it has been said before, maybe it's the Jimmys and Joes, not the x's and o's.

Don't be bringing that logical crap into here...it doesn't belong.

Like it has been said before, maybe it's the Jimmys and Joes, not the x's and o's.

The more and more I look at our situation, the more I think our problem is pure athletic talent. Pelini's first class was not a great class, and Pelini isn't a great enough coach to make average players perform as elite levels. I don't think many coaches can do that. At some point it comes down to what kind of system you have and the players you need to make that system successful. It took two years for our defense to be great ('09), and although we had Suh there to anchor our efforts, we had exceptional play in all defensive areas, not just the line. Not much has changed since then except for the talent levels. Pelini inherited better players than what he was able to bring in his first year. And now, those first year kids are starting.

Truth be told, you'd think that after four years of being here they'd be more up to the challenge, regardless of how good they were upon arrival.