It's not just a game!

HuskerMoon

Every time Nebraska loses I get to hear this lie. "Oh well... It's just a game." If you say this following a Nebraska loss then there are only a handful of reasons you are saying it. Denial, Mental Illness, Lack of true Husker born and bred passion, or finally your priorities are out of whack.

You are so upset over losing the game that you pass it off as just college kids living it up and playing a little backyard game of piggly skin. Instead of a 122 year tradition and source of pride for this entire state. A storied tradition of fandom passed down from father to son.... and daughter over the ages. A source that unites family and friends in fellowship 12 to 14 Saturdays in the fall. Something that in Nebraska is a synonomous with fall as Halloween and Thanksgiving. That true Nebraska fans exhault with heartfelt joy in meaningful victory and feel physical and emotional pain and also humiliation in loss. It is a sport that brings in millions of dollars in revenue to the University, the city of Lincoln, and the state of Nebraska. Something that has a DIRECT impact on the education of our young people and the local ECONOMY. There is far more emotion wrapped up in 60 minutes of watching football on a Husker Saturday than many would care to admit but it doesn't mean it isn't there. I am only slightly embarrassed to admit I have done damage to property and person following the absolute RED blinding rage I go into following a loss, especially if followed by sh*t talk from people who hate Nebraska just to hate it, because they are too simple to wrap their minds around what football means to this state and it's people. That or they support some other hack of a team in which their support could never hold a candle to the passion Nebraska fans have.. So don't tell me it's just a game. (I'm sure some coy jackass will say it. Be first in line to show your true colors.) It's far from just a game to me.

• Fire 2

You need to stop gambling on the games or seek counseling or both. It is just a game. You don't play in it, it should not effect your life.

From 1/2 hour before till the end of "the game", I am fired up and proudly Big Red as anyone in this state (and have been since listening to the games in the early to mid 60s on my grandpa's knees). But when the game is over, win or lose, it does not effect who I am, nor my worth as a person nor the quality of my life.

• Fire 4

Every time Nebraska loses I get to hear this lie. "Oh well... It's just a game." If you say this following a Nebraska loss then there are only a handful of reasons you are saying it. Denial, Mental Illness, Lack of true Husker born and bred passion, or finally your priorities are out of whack.

You are so upset over losing the game that you pass it off as just college kids living it up and playing a little backyard game of piggly skin. Instead of a 122 year tradition and source of pride for this entire state. A storied tradition of fandom passed down from father to son.... and daughter over the ages. A source that unites family and friends in fellowship 12 to 14 Saturdays in the fall. Something that in Nebraska is a synonomous with fall as Halloween and Thanksgiving. That true Nebraska fans exhault with heartfelt joy in meaningful victory and feel physical and emotional pain and also humiliation in loss. It is a sport that brings in millions of dollars in revenue to the University, the city of Lincoln, and the state of Nebraska. Something that has a DIRECT impact on the education of our young people and the local ECONOMY. There is far more emotion wrapped up in 60 minutes of watching football on a Husker Saturday than many would care to admit but it doesn't mean it isn't there. I am only slightly embarrassed to admit I have done damage to property and person following the absolute RED blinding rage I go into following a loss, especially if followed by sh*t talk from people who hate Nebraska just to hate it, because they are to simple to wrap their minds around what football means to this state and it's people. That or they support some other hack of a team in which their support could never hold a candle to the passion Nebraska fans have.. So don't tell me it's just a game. (I'm sure some coy jackass will say it. Be first in line to show your true colors.) It's far from just a game to me.

get-that-corn-outta-my-face-o.gif

• Fire 2

During the 90's I was probably in the same mental neighborhood you are in now.

Looking back, I took it too seriously. I attribute it to youth. I was early 20's then.

But we were also in the national championship hunt more years than not. Now I try to take a more relaxed attitude. These are young kids, and the secondary goals of education and good stewardship of our youth remain just as important as winning a game.

It is great when we can do both. When we cannot, I am very proud that we are accomplishing the larger picture goal of turning young athletes into good adults. Generally we do that very well, and it too often is overlooked. I'd rather win them all, of course.

LMAO, I am trying to imagine what Husker Moon looks like. If his car has 1 million Husker stickers on it. His front yard has the Husker flag out. He only has red clothes and the N on every thing. He has stalked the Campus to get each individual football players autograph and tell them how great they are. . Again, Mental illness are people like you and the tree poisoning guy in Alabama. Again not that serious!

You know saying it's not just a game and explaining why is not the same as saying it's the end of the world. I don't pass it off as just a game and despite people saying that old " It's just a game" lie. Neither do most Nebraska fans and it reflects far more in their actions, especially post game, then in their cheap "It's just a game." talk. Look around today. Bring up the game to a stranger that you are reasonably sure supports Nebraska and tell me I'm wrong.