It's not just a game!

HuskerMoon

So let me get this straight. i am in Denial, have a Mental Illness, Lack true Husker born and bred passion, or my priorities are out of whack if i don't punch holes in the wall or the nearest bystander if the huskers lose?

hell...take away my husker club membership if that is what it takes to be a husker fan. guess i've spent 50 years cheering for the wrong team by your standards.

Nope, just if you claim "It's just a game." And expect me to believe it.

Wow! get a grip...
I am only slightly embarrassed to admit I have done damage to property and person following the absolute RED blinding rage I go into following a loss, especially if followed by sh*t talk from people who hate Nebraska just to hate it, because they are to simple to wrap their minds around what football means to this state and it's people.

Maybe things have been put into perspective for me this week because of events that have affected people I know and care about, but life is too short to get upset about these kinds of things. It's better to enjoy the times where these games bring us together as family and friends than it is to fly into a fit of rage over a loss. Some people don't even have the opportunity to enjoy a game anymore, win or lose, and that is simply more tragic than any loss the Husker could ever suffer. And quite frankly I think it's pretty selfish to abuse your privileged of watching games by taking your aggression out on people and property.

So let me get this straight. It's selfish of me to break my own chair that I paid for or punch a hole through the drywall in my hallway because someone else in this great big world has lost the capacity to watch a Nebraska game? By that same token it is also selfish for me to shove a Texas fan out of my face for hooping and hollering in my grill while leaving the 1996 Big XII championship game? Or slobberknocking a Colorado fan after spitting on my friend after the 2001 game in boulder? I understand this may an emotional response from you in reference to a recent experience and I empathize with emotional responses but I'm afraid don't share your sentiment and couldn't disagree with you more.

Not selfish. Just oversensitive and stupid.

During the 90's I was probably in the same mental neighborhood you are in now.

Looking back, I took it too seriously. I attribute it to youth. I was early 20's then.

But we were also in the national championship hunt more years than not. Now I try to take a more relaxed attitude. These are young kids, and the secondary goals of education and good stewardship of our youth remain just as important as winning a game.

It is great when we can do both. When we cannot, I am very proud that we are accomplishing the larger picture goal of turning young athletes into good adults. Generally we do that very well, and it too often is overlooked. I'd rather win them all, of course.

Amen to that!

So let me get this straight. It's selfish of me to break my own chair that I paid for or punch a hole through the drywall in my hallway because someone else in this great big world has lost the capacity to watch a Nebraska game?

If it's your own property then do as you please I guess, but it's still immature.

By that same token it is also selfish for me to shove a Texas fan out of my face for hooping and hollering in my grill while leaving the 1996 Big XII championship game? Or slobberknocking a Colorado fan after spitting on my friend after the 2001 game in boulder?
I have no problem with self preservation and getting someone out of your space and I would probably would have had a hard time not punching that guy either, but sometimes it's just better to walk away than to feed the cycle.

I understand this may an emotional response from you in reference to a recent experience and I empathize with emotional responses but I'm afraid don't share your sentiment and couldn't disagree with you more.

I could careless if you agree with me but I think your immature, stupid, and child like actions are ultimately pointless. There are far better things to get upset about than 60 minutes of football.

Enhance.

Thank you for your well thought out articulated response. Unfortunately my "attitude" is not up for debate. My attitude is neither right or wrong. It is what it is. A perspective from life experience that is different and judging by your post, considerably longer than your own. In my life experience I have found that rational and irrational responses are both completely subjective and a matter of individual perspective. There are some situations that merit what some might consider an "irrational" response. It helps make life interesting, helps relieve stress, helps knock people with their face in the cotton candy back into reality. While it may be distasteful, frightening, or even physically painful depending on the circumstance you can rest assured that a lasting and valuable life lesson has been learned, either by myself or those directly impacted.

So.......how was prison? :lol:

Every time Nebraska loses I get to hear this lie. "Oh well... It's just a game." If you say this following a Nebraska loss then there are only a handful of reasons you are saying it. Denial, Mental Illness, Lack of true Husker born and bred passion, or finally your priorities are out of whack.

You are so upset over losing the game that you pass it off as just college kids living it up and playing a little backyard game of piggly skin. Instead of a 122 year tradition and source of pride for this entire state. A storied tradition of fandom passed down from father to son.... and daughter over the ages. A source that unites family and friends in fellowship 12 to 14 Saturdays in the fall. Something that in Nebraska is a synonomous with fall as Halloween and Thanksgiving. That true Nebraska fans exhault with heartfelt joy in meaningful victory and feel physical and emotional pain and also humiliation in loss. It is a sport that brings in millions of dollars in revenue to the University, the city of Lincoln, and the state of Nebraska. Something that has a DIRECT impact on the education of our young people and the local ECONOMY. There is far more emotion wrapped up in 60 minutes of watching football on a Husker Saturday than many would care to admit but it doesn't mean it isn't there. I am only slightly embarrassed to admit I have done damage to property and person following the absolute RED blinding rage I go into following a loss, especially if followed by sh*t talk from people who hate Nebraska just to hate it, because they are too simple to wrap their minds around what football means to this state and it's people. That or they support some other hack of a team in which their support could never hold a candle to the passion Nebraska fans have.. So don't tell me it's just a game. (I'm sure some coy jackass will say it. Be first in line to show your true colors.) It's far from just a game to me.

All due respect man, but Nebraska football is not comparable to, say, being a member of the Black Hole in Oakland. I'll admit to throwing down some epic drunken rage-outs over Nebraska losses over the years. It's not among my finest deeds, but I remember a buddy and I shattering like every pint glass he owned in his house, hurling a few through some large windows and somehow a door got ripped off the hinges after Brad Smith...well, Brad Smithed us again. I've punched stuff, threw stuff, I admit all that. But that pretty much ended by the time I was 26. Saying F@#$ loudly is one thing, proudly stating that you've "done damage to person" is not Nebraska football. That's thug bullsh#t, and you can be better than that. You got the passion right, just try channeling it into some angry post-loss sex or something. Vastly superior to explaining why the TV is shattered or why you need to pay court fees for assault charges. Just a little free advice. :lol:

• Fire 1

Enhance.

Thank you for your well thought out articulated response. Unfortunately my "attitude" is not up for debate. My attitude is neither right or wrong. It is what it is. A perspective from life experience that is different and judging by your post, considerably longer than your own. In my life experience I have found that rational and irrational responses are both completely subjective and a matter of individual perspective. There are some situations that merit what some might consider an "irrational" response. It helps make life interesting, helps relieve stress, helps knock people with their face in the cotton candy back into reality. While it may be distasteful, frightening, or even physically painful depending on the circumstance you can rest assured that a lasting and valuable life lesson has been learned, either by myself or those directly impacted.

Seems to me that your attitude is precisely what is being discussed in this post. You have no right to physically or emotionally abuse folks because some football GAME was lost. It is a football game, and we all want the huskers to do well, but I'm not going to burn down the town if they lose.

You, yourself, state in the above quote that your BEHAVIOR, which is a result of your attitude, is distasteful, frightening and physically painful. All because of a loss by he Huskers?? Yikes, I hope you never have any real crisis in your life. You'll make the headlines for sure.

Every time Nebraska loses I get to hear this lie. "Oh well... It's just a game." If you say this following a Nebraska loss then there are only a handful of reasons you are saying it. Denial, Mental Illness, Lack of true Husker born and bred passion, or finally your priorities are out of whack.

You are so upset over losing the game that you pass it off as just college kids living it up and playing a little backyard game of piggly skin. Instead of a 122 year tradition and source of pride for this entire state. A storied tradition of fandom passed down from father to son.... and daughter over the ages. A source that unites family and friends in fellowship 12 to 14 Saturdays in the fall. Something that in Nebraska is a synonomous with fall as Halloween and Thanksgiving. That true Nebraska fans exhault with heartfelt joy in meaningful victory and feel physical and emotional pain and also humiliation in loss. It is a sport that brings in millions of dollars in revenue to the University, the city of Lincoln, and the state of Nebraska. Something that has a DIRECT impact on the education of our young people and the local ECONOMY. There is far more emotion wrapped up in 60 minutes of watching football on a Husker Saturday than many would care to admit but it doesn't mean it isn't there. I am only slightly embarrassed to admit I have done damage to property and person following the absolute RED blinding rage I go into following a loss, especially if followed by sh*t talk from people who hate Nebraska just to hate it, because they are too simple to wrap their minds around what football means to this state and it's people. That or they support some other hack of a team in which their support could never hold a candle to the passion Nebraska fans have.. So don't tell me it's just a game. (I'm sure some coy jackass will say it. Be first in line to show your true colors.) It's far from just a game to me.

You and I see eye to eye here. +1