Common thread with the last regime

DJR313

I apologize if this has been hashed and rehashed, but I do not see discussed anywhere. Just as with Callahan, I am beginning to tire of Pelini stating "we didn't execute" after losses. I remember Callahan was nearly lynched for this crap, but I don't really see Pelini get called out for doing this. I am not calling for anyone's blood here, but just an observation I had. As a leader you cannot continually blame your team for failure to execute without having to look in the mirror and eventually "point the thumb." At some point their lack of execution, is a reflection in coaching, development and communication. Perhaps I am drawing a comparison that is not there, but after listening to some snippets from the post game press conference, I felt like I was having déjà vu. I do however feel that Pelini is not beyond hope as Callahan was, but feel that how he rallies this team will show what kind of leader he really is. Thoughts?

I hear ya. Execute basically means they had a game plan, they worked on it in practice until they did it right, and the results were different in the game. Funny though, you would think against this D in practice, executing would be a snap :-)

As for the defense, there is no earthly way this scheme will ever work consistently. No matter how well they execute in practice and reps and preparation. Sad to say, but until they go with a traditional 4-3 that focuses on stopping the run first, putting teams in 2nd and long, 3rd and long, so they can then drop into nickel and peso (Pelini's speciality), we need to kick ourselves to think we will see different results. That my friend, is on the coaching.

Our defense does not have an identity, except for the "bend don't break" philosophy. It's tailored to stop the big passing plays. And when we are giving up chunks of yardage at will, we are also losing the field position battle. Sometimes we execute better as the other teams approach the red zone. But if they put 3 or 7 on the board, it does put pressure on our offense to stay on the field and get those points back and not go 3-and-out.

With this style of defense, they can execute all they want until they are blue in the face, and the results will be up and down like a roller-coaster. We've seen that for several years now. It's just not a style that screams tough interior defense.

I don't think Pelini gets a true pass on this. If you look at LSU defense, shoot they seem to do just fine without him. And if it's because they have better talent, then our guy isn't as brilliant as expected. You don't become a great defensive mind because of the sheer talent you have year after year. But then again, LSU isn't trotting around with 5 DB's and their LBs (or "linebacker") running around with their heads cut off like a chicken.

As for the right guys being in the right spot/position? So many things can go wrong with this theory. How about 2 tackles that get leverage, 2 defensive ends that explode with power and quickness, and three linebackers that will make offensive coordinators think twice about running? That's the key. You can run or throw. This defense doesn't focus on stopping one or the other particularly well. Although the pass coverage is better then stopping the run. For sure.

Don't like to pick on players at all. I just don't think our starting DEnds have nothing more to offer than making initial contact and lateral movement. Our lineback (I only see one out there in the middle of the field, have no clue where they slide the other one to) is going to lead the USA in tackles because he's out there on an island. He might even lead Mars in that category. But that doesn't mean he is doing anything phenomenal other than what they draw up on the chalkboard. That's great if you like seeing your defense in 2nd and 4, series after series. If they execute, then maybe 2nd and 5, hopefully 2nd and 6. Execute lol.

A change has been needed for some time on the defensive side. We do not have SUH anymore to save the day and get other players playing incredible to match his intensity and determination (see Gomes, Hagg, etc). Those dudes fed off each other. Our guys since then, not seeing it so much unfortunately.

Okay not at all a rant. But just my thoughts with some salt and pepper, and lots of babble :P

In my opinion, whether you agree or disagree, the coaches can't make the tackles or the passes, or the catches, or the blocks for the players. At some point, the responsibility for a good defense falls onto the players.

As a caveat to that opinion, you would think that if some players can't execute, that the responsibility falls onto the coaching staff to put players in who can execute. And while it hasn't been Bo and Company's modus operandi to do such a thing, let's see if the review of the game tape by the staff is enough to motivate them to try out new guys. I've heard that Santos/other faster LB (can't think of his name) are going to play instead of Whaley.

Furthermore, if we are putting the best we have on the field, and that's the best we have, then some serious questions have to be asked about if this staff can recruit.

But the season is young, making hasty judgments is what leads to poor decisions. At least in the realm of college football.

I remember watching a show on espnu once that showed those coaches who jumped from the college ranks to the NFL. Saban was one of them, Spurrier another, Harbaugh from Standford yet another. Then I either read this or heard it on tv, NFL coaches who came to the college ranks and weren't all that great: Charlie Weis comes to mind, and of course Bill Callahan. I, too, like the way Bo runs this program. He's out to build up young men so that when they leave here, whether they play football or not, they can succeed. Not many coaches do that these days.

Can you show an example of when Callahan didn't

Nope. That wasn't my point. My point was that there are many coaches today that have a 'win at all cost' mentality (should've been more clear-sorry :) ) I hate that attitude in college football. I'm sure Bill did what he could for his players but how would you feel as a parent if a recruiter came into your living room and promised that playing for him would be 'the pipeline to the NFL' Wasn't that why Bill got so many 4 and 5 star recruits? Well, that didn't happen did it. I'm sure Bill was a good person he just wasn't a good college football coach.

I think often that is just because we're a fan looking from the outside in at other programs we know nothing about. There are two sides to every story. I'd guess you'd put Lane Kiffin in the "win at all costs" group - yet if you talked to his players I'd bet they'd say something very different. Same goes for Urban, or Saban, etc. Just because they are winning, doesn't mean they win at all costs. Sure, they have a disproportionate number of prima-donna show-boats on their teams (because they can recruit), that are more interested with the NFL than college...but that's because those players can be --> they're good. They're winning. And there are still 100 other guys on the team that Kiffin, Saban and Urban are propping up for a career outside of football. Nebraska's currently just seen as this place where life after football is stressed above all else...because dang near every one of our players will need a life after their time playing football here. We aren't sending 10 to the draft. We'll send 2-3. And we aren't winning...so there is absolutely no way you could say we are a win at all costs team. We were during the 90's though. And we were winning.

I'm sorry you thought that I was talking about Nebraska. I don't think we are a 'win at all cost' team. However, I do think Billy C made promises to get the players he wanted because he wanted to win-because we (Nebraska Nation) wanted to win. But it didn't work. I DO think that Kiffin is that type of coach. I really hated the way he treated Tennesee. I also have similar suspicions about Urban Meyer. Why didn't he stay at Florida? Because they weren't winning anymore and he wanted to coach a team that wins-all the time. Saban cuts players that won't perform for him after promising them scholarships. That's terrible! So my point, and I'm sorry I wasn't clear-is that there is more involved in the game than winning. Taking care of the players is most important and I think Bo does that. Did Bill do that? I'm sure he did but there was just something that was not there with him coaching at Nebraska.

Pelini does worse than any coach, he dog houses the most talented players for his Youngstown players and the talented players never, ever see the field again. Why are Barneys kids playing for the Huskers, one of them has lost several games for us with his bone headed penalties again and again and again and agai..............

Ah yes, the mystical doghouse.

There's nothing mystical about it, childish, insecure and completely lacking in rationale seems more appropriate. Kids will be kids and say/do things kids do. Why does our coach act like a playground bully and take away social media in the age of social media? I'm pretty sure I know why

Because nothing good can come from social media? At least when you're a college football player?

Ah yes, the mystical doghouse.

There's nothing mystical about it, childish, insecure and completely lacking in rationale seems more appropriate. Kids will be kids and say/do things kids do. Why does our coach act like a playground bully and take away social media in the age of social media? I'm pretty sure I know why

Because nothing good can come from social media? At least when you're a college football player?

I'm pretty sure good things come from being a player from Bama on social media but when your coach is consistently setting you up for failure time and time again...........

Now that you say that I do remember how other kids treated the Cosgroves kids so maybe it is a good thing Pelini puts the hammer down, considering Nebraska fans parental skills

I'm sorry you thought that I was talking about Nebraska. I don't think we are a 'win at all cost' team. However, I do think Billy C made promises to get the players he wanted because he wanted to win-because we (Nebraska Nation) wanted to win. But it didn't work. I DO think that Kiffin is that type of coach. I really hated the way he treated Tennesee. I also have similar suspicions about Urban Meyer. Why didn't he stay at Florida? Because they weren't winning anymore and he wanted to coach a team that wins-all the time. Saban cuts players that won't perform for him after promising them scholarships. That's terrible! So my point, and I'm sorry I wasn't clear-is that there is more involved in the game than winning. Taking care of the players is most important and I think Bo does that. Did Bill do that? I'm sure he did but there was just something that was not there with him coaching at Nebraska.

I don't doubt that he does in most instances. He's got what, 125 guys on that roster? I'm sure 115 will tell you that taking care of them is a high priority to Bo (i doubt all would say the "highest" but likely up there). I'm sure 115 of Kiffins will too however. But there are plenty that think otherwise and likely for good reason. Why are so many talented guys packing up and leaving the program if not? We were short something like 7 scholarships this season. Say what you will, Bo weeds guys out of the program just like Urban does, or Miles does. It might not get publicized as much because Nebraska is far from the relevancy that these guy's programs are. And I highly doubt Urban left Florida because they were losing. He coached at Utah remember...he's been faced with adversity in his programs before. He went to Ohio State under sanctions. He's facing adversity there as well. Guys have their dream jobs. Kiffin is in his I'm sure. I don't blame him for a bit leaving Tennessee. I'm sure when he took that job he wasn't planning on watching Pete Carol leave USC for a number of years. When your dream job falls into your lap you take it with both hands...redneck perception be damned.

As a leader you cannot continually blame your team for failure to execute without having to look in the mirror and eventually "point the thumb."

Funny, because that's what he did first and foremost.

Saying it and doing it are mutually exclusive. I refer to Addison Mode's post, who very eloquently relayed some of my concerns, and why I think you can only use the "we didn't execute" excuse so many times. Nebraska is 6-5 in their last 11 games, and in those 5 losses, the common thread was horrible defense, followed by the same post-game jargon.

...As for the defense, there is no earthly way this scheme will ever work consistently. No matter how well they execute in practice and reps and preparation. Sad to say, but until they go with a traditional 4-3 that focuses on stopping the run first, putting teams in 2nd and long, 3rd and long, so they can then drop into nickel and peso (Pelini's speciality), we need to kick ourselves to think we will see different results. That my friend, is on the coaching.

Our defense does not have an identity, except for the "bend don't break" philosophy. It's tailored to stop the big passing plays. And when we are giving up chunks of yardage at will, we are also losing the field position battle. Sometimes we execute better as the other teams approach the red zone. But if they put 3 or 7 on the board, it does put pressure on our offense to stay on the field and get those points back and not go 3-and-out.

With this style of defense, they can execute all they want until they are blue in the face, and the results will be up and down like a roller-coaster. We've seen that for several years now. It's just not a style that screams tough interior defense.

I don't think Pelini gets a true pass on this. If you look at LSU defense, shoot they seem to do just fine without him. And if it's because they have better talent, then our guy isn't as brilliant as expected. You don't become a great defensive mind because of the sheer talent you have year after year. But then again, LSU isn't trotting around with 5 DB's and their LBs (or "linebacker") running around with their heads cut off like a chicken.

As for the right guys being in the right spot/position? So many things can go wrong with this theory. How about 2 tackles that get leverage, 2 defensive ends that explode with power and quickness, and three linebackers that will make offensive coordinators think twice about running? That's the key. You can run or throw. This defense doesn't focus on stopping one or the other particularly well. Although the pass coverage is better then stopping the run. For sure.

Don't like to pick on players at all. I just don't think our starting DEnds have nothing more to offer than making initial contact and lateral movement. Our lineback (I only see one out there in the middle of the field, have no clue where they slide the other one to) is going to lead the USA in tackles because he's out there on an island. He might even lead Mars in that category. But that doesn't mean he is doing anything phenomenal other than what they draw up on the chalkboard. That's great if you like seeing your defense in 2nd and 4, series after series. If they execute, then maybe 2nd and 5, hopefully 2nd and 6. Execute lol.

I don't doubt that he does in most instances. He's got what, 125 guys on that roster? I'm sure 115 will tell you that taking care of them is a high priority to Bo (i doubt all would say the "highest" but likely up there). I'm sure 115 of Kiffins will too however. But there are plenty that think otherwise and likely for good reason. Why are so many talented guys packing up and leaving the program if not? We were short something like 7 scholarships this season. Say what you will, Bo weeds guys out of the program just like Urban does, or Miles does. It might not get publicized as much because Nebraska is far from the relevancy that these guy's programs are. And I highly doubt Urban left Florida because they were losing. He coached at Utah remember...he's been faced with adversity in his programs before. He went to Ohio State under sanctions. He's facing adversity there as well. Guys have their dream jobs. Kiffin is in his I'm sure. I don't blame him for a bit leaving Tennessee. I'm sure when he took that job he wasn't planning on watching Pete Carol leave USC for a number of years. When your dream job falls into your lap you take it with both hands...redneck perception be damned.

That wasn't necessary. I am not a redneck and just because my opinion is different from yours is not reason to call names. How immature!

Multiple sources told Sporting News that Meyer—who won two national championships in six years at Florida and cemented his legacy as one of the game’s greatest coaches—told the Diggs family that he wouldn’t let his son go to Florida because of significant character issues in the locker room. Character issues that we now know were fueled by a culture Meyer created. Character issues that gutted what was four years earlier the most powerful program in college football.

http://aol.sportingn...ogram-will-musc

That wasn't necessary. I am not a redneck and just because my opinion is different from yours is not reason to call names. How immature!

I think that he may have been alluding to all of the Tennessee fans that were up in arms when Kiffin bolted to USC

I think that he may have been alluding to all of the Tennessee fans that were up in arms when Kiffin bolted to USC

If he was I apologize.

The problem for that coach was, He tried to change the culture here and nobody really wanted the guy here in first place.
This right here is what completed the destruction of Nebraska Football, I don't even know where to start with this horsedookie. How was it he tried to change the " Culture" again? Was it where he did or didn't recruit felons like Osborne/McBride did to finally get it done? Was it where he actually played against a real schedule? Was it because his offenses were exciting to watch for the first time in 5 years? Was it because he was handed bare cupboards, but handed the next regime actual football players? Was it because he treated the fans/media with respect that was NEVER shown to him? I could go on for days about the way Cosgroves children were treated and all the other things YOU type of fans did that make me sick to admit I'm a 50 year Husker fan. Please oh please tell me how he destroyed the "walk-on" program, shunned ex Nebraska players, and all the other made up BS, Osbornes golf outing? Callahans flaw.....Cosgrove If Bo Pelini represents our culture then our culture is garbage, he treats the fans like crap. the media like crap, the players like crap, I don't care if he treats his staff like crap, he picked the un-qualified garbage. He's only a decent DC when other talented recruiters build his defenses. He knows nothing of recruiting or talent. His game management is deplorable. I really can not come up with one admirable trait Pelini has that makes me say I want him at Nebraska

While I respect your right to state your opinion you are SO wrong. I'm still recovering from what Callahan & Co. did to Nebraska football. He came in here and with his 'all star' team destroyed every record we held except for our sold out record. While he may have been a good NFL coach he was NOT a good college coach and that's ok-it happens to the best of them. Saban was a lousy NFL coach but is a great college coach. Nebraska football is more than just a game, it is part of our community. For someone who has been involved with the team for 50 years you of all people should realize that. I am appalled that you think so little of Bo. When Frank was fired after a 10-2 record no less, after he fired some of is best friends/colleagues and was STILL fired, fans were chanting in the stands for Bo. But no, we had to have some hot shot, big name, NFL coach for the Huskers. Oh everyone was singing his praises until he started to lose and boy did he lose. He could not develop the talent he had. His inflexibility of not getting rid of Cosgrove was telling of his entire attitude. When Bo came here this was a community shattered. Nebraska football was in the toilet A proud tradition that had been trampled-Bo gave us hope for our team. He has slowly built up the program once more. Does he have more work to do? Absolutely! But for someone to dismiss him as you do is really hard to stomach. I'm sorry but you're so wrong.

What "records" did Callahan "destroy?" I only know of two, the winning streak to Kansas and the bowl game streak. And with the lack of tallent that he was left in 2004, no coach would have made a bowl game with only Joe Dailey as a scholarship QB. Frank was lucky to still have the bowl streak going because the only reason he was bowl eligable in 2002 was a win over Div 1AA McNeese State. Every other streak was broken by Frank, (KSU, ISU, Mizzou, oSu) that is what I will never get. Consider this. Frank maintained Osborne's legacy recruits for 4 season before falling off the cliff due to lazy recruiting. We were nationally relevant, the last time we were. Frank faltered, the program slipped and he overhauled his staff. That overhaul produced a slight resurgence due to a very weak schedule and a fluky defense. An educated fan knows it wasn't much more than window dressing, but the problem is that nobody wants to admit that Frank killed this program, not Callahan. The program was already dead before he got here.

People who hated Callahan look at the 2007 team as the worse ever. I look at that season and wonder how would this team do playing in 2007? My guess is about 6-6. Slightly better but not much. It is funny but the UCLA game reminded me a lot of many of the 2007 games where we asked Ganz to win the game with his arm because the defense couldn't stop the other team and ultimately, he would throw picks and we would lose to teams we should be beating. I wonder how the fans wouldbe reacting if Callahan had lost this same game against UCLA. The roof would be falling in I guarantee it.

Frank was 9-3...in 2003 and only played two ranked teams, who took us behind the woodshead. (KSU, UT)

I am making my point in the context of evaluating the coach and the job he is doing, not from the perspective of a fan. If the 2007 schedule was more typical, that team could have easily gone 7-7, which is the exact same record Fank Solich had in 2002. Everybody always points to 2007 and states emphatically that we are sooooo much better than 2007. In some ways we are, but I don't think it is as drastic as some make it to be. At least BC was stocking the cupboard. his recruiting was really picking up and his class for 2008 was set to be his best until he was fired. I firmly believe BC would have fired Cozgrove after 2007, and who know who he would have hired as DC to coach all that talent BC had recruited (Suh, Haag, Prince, etc).

I am NOT trying to defend BC or say he should have been retained, I just think there has to be some context. At this point, I am not firmly convinced that we are significantly better off in year 5 of Bo than we were after 4 years of BC, and that is saying something.

I always view the status of the program based on how it competes nationally. I don't really care about how it does in the "legends" division, or even the B1G. National relevance is what matters to me, and I think what should matter to Nebraska fans. In the end, what does it mean if we beat 9 "average" or "terrible" teams? To me, it simply means we are slightly better than average, which is the very definition of mediocrity.