Pelini and Recruiting

lionsfan93

I have heard many reasons as to why the defense simply just is not very good. One that really caught my eye was Bo really didn't have too good of recruiting classes his first few years. I didn't start following recruiting closely until the 2010 class. So I checked it out. I went to Rivals to see how Pelini's classes have looked. Every year he has had an increase in his average player rating. He started off with a 5.57 in 2008 and has slowly improved up to a 5.7 in this last class. Do people really think that this can make a difference? Is it realistic to say that the leaders of this team, the seniors and juniors, just do not have the skill set to get the job done? Recruiting in Nebraska is not an easy task, and I think, particularly in the last two classes, he has done a good job. What do you guys think? Is recruiting a reason, not the lone reason, why the defense looks so poor?

Ya i think so, or i would atleast like to think so. We just dont have the LBers right now. Man did we miss L David saturday. We win that game with LD playing. Compton is way too slow to be covering backs out of the backfield, UCLA took full advantage of our weakness, very very smart coaching. Just think of what David and Suh could do with this defense. 2 players, 2 impact difference makers, thats the difference. IMO.

Ya i think so, or i would atleast like to think so. We just dont have the LBers right now. Man did we miss L David saturday. We win that game with LD playing. Compton is way too slow to be covering backs out of the backfield, UCLA took full advantage of our weakness, very very smart coaching. Just think of what David and Suh could do with this defense. 2 players, 2 impact difference makers, thats the difference. IMO.

You got. The mentioned it on Wrap-up. This year's unit just does not have that playmaker or two. Not yet anyway.

On Big Red Wrapup, Adrian Fialla stated we don't have enough speed and we have no playmakers on defense. Bo really can't be held accountable for the 2008 because of the timeline when he was brought in and coaching in the NC game. Personally, I'd like to see us hit the JuCo's a little harder. I believe we've gotten some pretty decent LB's from the JuCo ranks in the past.

On Big Red Wrapup, Adrian Fialla stated we don't have enough speed and we have no playmakers on defense. Bo really can't be held accountable for the 2008 because of the timeline when he was brought in and coaching in the NC game. Personally, I'd like to see us hit the JuCo's a little harder. I believe we've gotten some pretty decent LB's from the JuCo ranks in the past.

We got the best one from last years class. Bos been having one on one tutoring sessions with him to get him up to speed, time to step up Anderson. We need you badly.

You got. The mentioned it on Wrap-up. This year's unit just does not have that playmaker or two. Not yet anyway.

Not yet is right, and i hope it happens soon. Luckily we wont face alot of matchup problems like that in the Big 10, Arky St runs a similar offense, but not near the athletes. Other then Ohio State, i really dont see any other teams giving us fits like that , maybe Northwestern i guess.

I think the conference change has the D behind. These guys were recruited to stop the pass-happy Big12. Now the D needs to be changed to stop the run-heavy B1G. There's also just plain bad luck with guys like Peat.

but I have to say this statement is way over-used, and way over-exaggerated. Michigan-spread. Ohio St-spread opt. Northwestern-spread. Minnesota-spread opt (only great player is running qb). We play as many spread conference opponents as we do conventional/traditional offenses, and the trend suggests that the conference is moving towards the spread.

IMO, yes, a lack of emphasis on recruiting for the first 2-3 years of Bo's tenure is the biggest reason why we are watching the defense that we have so far this year.

In addition, I know that people don't like to hear this, but the move to the B1G had a huge impact on what personnel we could recruit (or thought we could recruit). Our LB core was almost non-existent in our big 12 days, and that is no doubt hurting us now because we don't have the guys that have a good enough combination of physicality, speed, and mentality to play LB anywhere. Hopefully our stud class of true freshmen LBs changes that.

Not yet is right, and i hope it happens soon. Luckily we wont face alot of matchup problems like that in the Big 10, Arky St runs a similar offense, but not near the athletes. Other then Ohio State, i really dont see any other teams giving us fits like that , maybe Northwestern i guess.

Michigan. if Minnesota had more athletes around Gray you could throw them in as well. After watching UCLA run all over us I don't see any reason to believe Minnesota couldn't do the same. Frankly, until we stop it you're going to see every team we play picking on our LBers in coverage. UCLA just put up a road map to beating the Huskers. Combine that with what was exposed in week 1 and who knows what kind of offenses we'll be going against.

IMO, yes, a lack of emphasis on recruiting for the first 2-3 years of Bo's tenure is the biggest reason why we are watching the defense that we have so far this year.

In addition, I know that people don't like to hear this, but the move to the B1G had a huge impact on what personnel we could recruit (or thought we could recruit). Our LB core was almost non-existent in our big 12 days, and that is no doubt hurting us now because we don't have the guys that have a good enough combination of physicality, speed, and mentality to play LB anywhere. Hopefully our stud class of true freshmen LBs changes that.

this is what I was thinking at the end of last year. Especially since i'd never seen a spread type team stand a chance against Pelini. But we just had 600+ hung on our defense by a Pac12 team. That was happening regardless of the conference move. In fact, I might be really worried if we were still in the Big12. My only hope is that our slower LBers and "contain" DL can stuff guys like 240 pound Bell and win us some B1G games.