switching to 3-4 look

ccm420

The problem is, w what farley said, sometimes you HAVE to hit people and get through blocks. I want speed too. But if they can't off blocks, then there are gapping holes that turn into nice run plays. Lavonte was the outlier that he avoided blockers and was still somehow able to take on RB in the hole for the tackle, a la Penn St 4th down play.

Look, Whaley was in position to make tackles at UCLA, he just didn't make the physical play. That can be corrected. who do we have proven that can speed around blockers and make the play? We don't have a Farley or David this yr. We missed over 20 tackles against ucla, if whaley alone makes 4 of the 6 he missed we might have won that game, especially in the 4th qtr when he missed on big plays.

The conundrum.

• Fire 1

This might be the Acme of stupidity, but whatever happened to Jared Afalava and his reported awesomeness?

He remains reportedly awesome. His issue is that it took so long for him to get cleared by the NCAA that he got into fall camp late and is behind in learning the defense. I think they are trying to redshirt him at this point. I have not seen him on special teams but don't care enough to go digging through participation reports to double check that.

The problem is, w what farley said, sometimes you HAVE to hit people and get through blocks. I want speed too. But if they can't off blocks, then there are gapping holes that turn into nice run plays. Lavonte was the outlier that he avoided blockers and was still somehow able to take on RB in the hole for the tackle, a la Penn St 4th down play.

Look, Whaley was in position to make tackles at UCLA, he just didn't make the physical play. That can be corrected. who do we have proven that can speed around blockers and make the play? We don't have a Farley or David this yr. We missed over 20 tackles against ucla, if whaley alone makes 4 of the 6 he missed we might have won that game, especially in the 4th qtr when he missed on big plays.

The conundrum.

I agree with you. BUT I don't think size = getting off of blocks better. I saw Dennard and Amukamara get off of a lot of blocks in their careers to make the tackles that they made. They just had that killer mentality that you can never see too much of.

I've said this a few times in various threads: I would rather see Cooper on the field than Fisher or Whaley. I hope both of those guys prove me wrong. If they go out and make big plays week after week, I'm more than pleased to see it. The problem with Fisher is, he hasn't been very good at all, period. The problem with Whaley, as you said, is that he gets to the play pretty well but so far hasn't made the tackles. He needs to improve upon that going forward, and I am confident that he can. Something like that is all about mentality and physicality.