Huskers to run base 4-3 defense Saturday

HuskerShark

We need to just leave Ciante on the field and test out our nickel package at all times. I think he would be able to carry the weight of going against some bigger guys. Our base is horrendous.

I agree with you. Ciante has been IMO the best defensive player that we have on the field this year. He has been pretty tremendous from everything I've seen this year.

Bo did mention that they could play Ciante as a true CB on Saturday, but I would just really prefer either to have Ciante at Nickel, or to have Cooper play the other LB spot. We will see what happens come gametime, but I am just really hesitant about Fisher playing and getting run around, past, and through.

I don't know if there's any point in picking apart the UCLA game in terms of our defense. I'm not sure anything was actually done right, except we had the correct number of players on the field. Awareness and recognition, fundamentals, assignments, etc etc. They were all total sh#t for some reason.

It doesn't matter what defense we run against Wisconsin - if our defense plays like that, even with their struggling offense, we lose. I don't think that will happen, though. I'm just saying everything was wrong with the UCLA game in terms of defense, and hopefully that will not be the case against Wisconsin.

I say we play man to man straight across the board! stand everyone 3 yards off the line and bump everyone that goes on a route! Sit the safeties 5-7 yards off the line jumping in and out of the line showing blitz! Have all the DL standing up and going bat sh#t! If they can get the pass off and beat us deep all game then so be it!

......... I don't mean to be douchey but I'm glad you're not our D Coordinator.

I say we play man to man straight across the board! stand everyone 3 yards off the line and bump everyone that goes on a route! Sit the safeties 5-7 yards off the line jumping in and out of the line showing blitz! Have all the DL standing up and going bat sh#t! If they can get the pass off and beat us deep all game then so be it!

So I take it you don't think it would work!

Well back to the patty cake and 6 yards per rush defense! Better Shark?

I got a better idea. Let's do an alternate uniform that looks exactly like the refs so we can do some covert ops sh#t and make it look like we have like 14 defenders on the field, plus one in the backfield.

Or we could do alternates that are the exact shade of green as the turf and have all of our players paint their faces and arms green too. Then we can just sneak up on the offense. Hell, we could probably be in the backfield before the ball is snapped and the refs wouldn't even know it. I mean, this is the reason Boise State has been so good for the past decade, right? They just blend into the turf?

I got a better idea. Let's do an alternate uniform that looks exactly like the refs so we can do some covert ops sh#t and make it look like we have like 14 defenders on the field, plus one in the backfield.

Or we could do alternates that are the exact shade of green as the turf and have all of our players paint their faces and arms green too. Then we can just sneak up on the offense. Hell, we could probably be in the backfield before the ball is snapped and the refs wouldn't even know it. I mean, this is the reason Boise State has been so good for the past decade, right? They just blend into the turf?

Seems awfully elaborate but...... OK! :thumbs

We need to just leave Ciante on the field and test out our nickel package at all times. I think he would be able to carry the weight of going against some bigger guys. Our base is horrendous.

To paraphrase McBride.... We recruited speed, tackling ability and then size. Worked out great for NU. Just get our best athletes on the field. Screw this "a guy has to look a certain way" BS. Look at David. He did ok. Get our speed on the field. Make the O adjust to stop us. Quit putting sub par athletes on the field. The new Wisky QB is no Wilson. Blitz his a$$ into the stone age. Every play, and I mean every play put a hat on him. Make him QUIT.

To paraphrase McBride.... We recruited speed, tackling ability and then size. Worked out great for NU. Just get our best athletes on the field. Screw this "a guy has to look a certain way" BS. Look at David. He did ok. Get our speed on the field. Make the O adjust to stop us. Quit putting sub par athletes on the field. The new Wisky QB is no Wilson. Blitz his a$$ into the stone age. Every play, and I mean every play put a hat on him. Make him QUIT.

Oh....I bet NEB will blitz...PLENTY!

Lavonte also was extremely strong and physical for his size. I think the way Bo said it last year is "Lavonte has a lot of 'pop' for a smaller guy."

I agree with you though. Size is great, but if the smaller guys do a better job and can fly around the field better, I'd much rather have the smaller guys. Last time I checked, Oregon's defense isn't very big and they sure got the best of Wisconsin's big, physical team last year.

Oh....I bet NEB will blitz...PLENTY!

Oh yea, they will want to knock Stave out of rhythm, making them run at us. I just hope we are ready for it.

Defensively, Wisconsin has not done well against the pass. They give up an avg 245 yds passing per game, while Nebraska averages 224 yds per game through the air. Wisconsin has given up 8 passing TDs and no INTs. They ranked #83 in the nation, while our passing offense is ranked #10.

As for the run, Wisconsin has done well defending the run, ranking #13 in the nation, averaging 80 yds per game. They have only given up 1 rushing TD. But they haven't been truly tested by a Top Ten running game. Nebraska has the 5th best running game in the nation, 14 rushing TDs, averaging 310 rushing yds per game.

Statistically, we can move the ball against Wisconsin through the air, and it will be interesting to see how the running game fairs against the 3rd best rushing defense in the Big Ten. The real question is can our defense stop Wisconsin when they run the ball. Though looking at the stats, Wisconsin's running and passing game is just as bad as our rushing defense.

Offensively, I'm not worried about the Huskers as long as Martinez plays smart, and we protect the football. THAT MEANS NO TURNOVERS!!!

Defensively, it will be interesting to see what Bo and Jon dial up to rattle a young QB in Stave and a potent running game, with or without Ball.