Huskers to run base 4-3 defense Saturday

HuskerShark

We need to just leave Ciante on the field and test out our nickel package at all times. I think he would be able to carry the weight of going against some bigger guys. Our base is horrendous.

To paraphrase McBride.... We recruited speed, tackling ability and then size. Worked out great for NU. Just get our best athletes on the field. Screw this "a guy has to look a certain way" BS. Look at David. He did ok. Get our speed on the field. Make the O adjust to stop us. Quit putting sub par athletes on the field. The new Wisky QB is no Wilson. Blitz his a$$ into the stone age. Every play, and I mean every play put a hat on him. Make him QUIT.

Lavonte also was extremely strong and physical for his size. I think the way Bo said it last year is "Lavonte has a lot of 'pop' for a smaller guy."

I agree with you though. Size is great, but if the smaller guys do a better job and can fly around the field better, I'd much rather have the smaller guys. Last time I checked, Oregon's defense isn't very big and they sure got the best of Wisconsin's big, physical team last year.

I agree. Smaller speed will always win out. What would you rather have on D, on 230 lb LB going 1 on 1 or 3, 190lb dbs doing 3 on 1

Stafford and Smith have to have huge games in run support. I want to see a Matt O'Hanlon type game from both of them. Which Matt was possibly our best safety in the Pelini era at reading running plays and taking the proper angle to the ball carrier.

There will be times that Wisconsin blocks plays well and Ball will spring loose. Our safeties MUST read the running lanes and make the play so we can turn those runs into 7 to 10 yard runs instead of 25 to 30.

Abbedaris (spelling) is the only WR worth looking at. Mr Mitchell should take care of that. Or SJB if we want to physically wear them down.

We need to just leave Ciante on the field and test out our nickel package at all times. I think he would be able to carry the weight of going against some bigger guys. Our base is horrendous.

To paraphrase McBride.... We recruited speed, tackling ability and then size. Worked out great for NU. Just get our best athletes on the field. Screw this "a guy has to look a certain way" BS. Look at David. He did ok. Get our speed on the field. Make the O adjust to stop us. Quit putting sub par athletes on the field. The new Wisky QB is no Wilson. Blitz his a$$ into the stone age. Every play, and I mean every play put a hat on him. Make him QUIT.

I agree, that's how a defense should be.

... and as much as I may or may not approve of trash talking, this Badger who is trash talking TMart is right about the attitude that causes turnovers:

http://espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=44&post_id=12041

“I’m going to run through that. I’m going to make him feel it as much as you can. That leads to turnovers, that mentality of getting hit over and over.”
EZ, do you think Mitchell is progressing beyond A.Green in coverage?

I have always been impressed with Mitchell's ball skills. This time last year Green vs this time this year Mitchell, absolutely. Ask me after Saturday though. I'd feel more than comfortable with Mitchell on Abbedaris.

Anyone else think we might see Mitchell in a spy role on Dennard Robinson and Braxton Miller? I know, I dont see Bo giving up a defender for a spy scheme, and Mitchell seems to small for such a roll, but you have to think his incredible athleticism and speed would just give them guys fits and frustrate the hell out of'em.

I am up for anything to stop the mobile QB. I'd go Cooper before Mitchell though.

I'm fine with trying the spying roll by someone because obviously what we have done in the past hasn't worked.

However, I am not a fan of that because a good OC is going to make an adjustment to deal with that. Outside running by Dennard??? I would tell my best blocking WR that every time a play like that is ran his job is to take that spy out of the play no matter what.