Notre Lame pulls out of Michigan series

NUance

I'm just saying that is the expansion goal from this point out. If a top-10 all time program wants in then you take it over all the big markets easy.

No one in their right mind would take Rutgers over Nebraska. But adding Rutgers AFTER Nebraska? sure.

I would say we sell the Tier 1 stuff to the highest bidder. FOX,NBC,ESPN,etc and the other stuff gets sent to BTN. It's expanded and get real commercials instead of Rotel and Velveeta.

Right. And that Top 10 team that Delaney let go was Florida State. So the question is, how serious is Delaney about expansion? Because there's really no one else reasonable to go after now...which leads me to think that this is it for the next 10-20 years.

And what exactly is wrong with Velveeta and Rotel? Are you some kind of heathens up there in Columbus? :lol:

Well I'm on a diet so definitely no Velveeta :P

I'm just saying we need a greater group of sponsors. And more Games will do that.

I wouldn't say FSU is a top-10 all time program. Maybe top 15-20. They also haven't been selling out their 80,000 stadium these past few years and are not the top team in their own state. I'm not sure that we are looking for dixieland-esque schools. If we are going to the deep south then I'd imagine it would be a different type of school like GIT

They won't have an option when ESPiN and the other networks don't pay big money for Big XII football games.

Money is power and Texas isn't going to have the power in the Big XII here soon enough. there isn't money to be had in those small schools with weak fanbases and the longhorn network has been a failure so far

this same conference signed a TV contract after Nebraska left. you underestimate this conferences abilities. it is still considered a stronger conference over the big ten. and many consider too be deeper as well.

Poaching teams from here is unlikely.

They won't have an option when ESPiN and the other networks don't pay big money for Big XII football games.

Money is power and Texas isn't going to have the power in the Big XII here soon enough. there isn't money to be had in those small schools with weak fanbases and the longhorn network has been a failure so far

this same conference signed a TV contract after Nebraska left. you underestimate this conferences abilities. it is still considered a stronger conference over the big ten. and many consider too be deeper as well.

It will most definitely NOT be a stronger conference in 2 to 3 years once Meyer and Hoke get their recruits to be Juniors. And outside of football on the field it is a terrible conference

Please tell me what school has staying power outside of Texas & OU?

All things being equal on the field. No one is going to pay big bucks for WVU,Okie lite, TCU,Tortilla Tech,Baylor, KU,KSU or ISU.

Iowa,Nebraska,Penn State, Illinois, Wisky,Sparty,scUM and OSU all have some of the biggest fanbases and alumni bases in the country.

It is a dead conference patched together with schools that can't stand each other and are strangers.

Delaney could offer anyone of those schools a chance at the Big Ten and they would not be turned down by anyone but Texas and OU .They would be the only one's who would have to think about if that's what they want to do.

Why so much talk about Texas jumping conferences? What did I miss? The Big 12 seems to be doing fine. Is the Big 10 even thinking about more expansion?

Just mentioned that I think scUM should replace ND with USC or Texas.

This got into a conversation about whether or not Delaney and the Big Ten offices want to add Texas. Which according to certain people they do and they will offer once the Big Ten tv deal ends in a few years.

I can't see it happening. When an outlier joins a conference it is often because they were in the middle somewhere in their old one. I'm thinking of USF in the Big East, BC in the ACC; they should have swapped. But I don't see the head honcho ever leaving and becoming an outlier in another conference.

Penn State is a kinda sorta exception, we know how that turned out.

Unless Texas goes independent they'll always want to be the boss of a group of school in the Southwest.

I'm selfishly hoping that ND pulling away from the BIG helps Kansas someday moving in. I'm sure the PSU's, OSU's and Michigan's could really care less for Kansas except for basketball but it's such a nice fit geographically with Nebraska and Iowa and not that bad for schools like Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois. Who knows, maybe Mizzou will get their fill of the SEC in a decade and try to get back in as well. From a selfish Husker fan's standpoint, I'd love to have them both in the BIG and let the eastern schools choose the other two to get it up to 16. Kansas sucks in football but the way the BIG is playing, that would seem to be less of an issue these days.

1.It will most definitely NOT be a stronger conference in 2 to 3 years once Meyer and Hoke get their recruits to be Juniors. And outside of football on the field it is a terrible conference

2.Please tell me what school has staying power outside of Texas & OU?

3.All things being equal on the field. No one is going to pay big bucks for WVU,Okie lite, TCU,Tortilla Tech,Baylor, KU,KSU or ISU.

Iowa,Nebraska,Penn State, Illinois, Wisky,Sparty,scUM and OSU all have some of the biggest fanbases and alumni bases in the country.

4.It is a dead conference patched together with schools that can't stand each other and are strangers.

Delaney could offer anyone of those schools a chance at the Big Ten and they would not be turned down by anyone but Texas and OU .They would be the only one's who would have to think about if that's what they want to do.

You're looking at this from only a football stand point and the power brokers are not. too answer questions in order now.

1. your silliest comment yet. Texas and OU are powers with long term tenured coaches, too think Meyer and Hoke the Joke will surpass them in a 2 year span is hilarious. love your spirit though i really do.

The Big 12 is a great basket ball conference, KU leads the way of course, Texas is always good, and Oklahoma is always strong. TTU had been solid but is now in transition. Baylor is consistently tough and last but not least KSU has had a good run.

2. silly question numero two. Kansas has a massive and deep pocketed basketball and football following. KU is always a fixture on ESPN over the BB season. their football sucks, but as we saw in 07 they can have success at Kansas.

Okie lite is much more than you give them credit for. They are the nations premier wrestling school, the college wrestling hall of fame is in still water for heavens sake. They do well enough in other sports as well.

Iowa state also has a great wrestling program top 5 on a good year, KSU has been too a final 4 in BB recently, Baylor won the womens BB championship.......i can go on if you want me too. :)

These schools have all the ingredients for success in multiple sports. Including football. many BCS AQ conferences would entertain adding them.

Its a deep conference in many sports but the cool aid your drinking is keeping you from seeing it.

3. All of these teams all fill their stadiumsevery saturday, ISU, KU, are the exceptions of course due too their recent failures. But these schools have large and financially reliable boosters. and what do you mean by spending the big bucks? NU sells out memorial stadium for every game, idk if you guys do that or not but for us we don't see filling the stadium as an issue. Fans will support their team no matter the opponent. and ESPN will air the game so long as one of the teams is top 25. And if they aren't that is why we gots the big 10 network.

4. another remark with no facts behind it. the schools that are 'strangers' in terms of years as members in the Big XII are the Texas schools and WVU.

The rest have been full time members for just a couple years short of the century mark. that's a long time too play sports together for a bunch of schools who hate each other and are strangers don't ya think? and an even longer time too have been 'patched' together.

And for the last part i didn't follow what you were trying too say there. may need to retype that.

Good debate though, this is fun.

I'm selfishly hoping that ND pulling away from the BIG helps Kansas someday moving in.

I've said for a while now that Kansas would make an excellent bookend for B1G expansion if paired with a football powerhouse. You're right that football doesn't stir the drink in Lawrence--it's easily basketball, and I think that would carry weight with Delaney, an ex-college basketball man himself.

Plus, as stated before, the B1G is running out of viable football expansion targets. And while basketball ad revenues are half of what football ad revenues are, the B1G is still putting its basketball inventory on television. Adding Kansas to what is arguably the toughest or second-toughest basketball conference in the nation would help the B1G generate much more basketball ad revenue for their network...especially when the B1G holds back more basketball inventory for itself.

But again, because basketball ad revenue isn't what football ad revenue is, it would have to be paired with an excellent football expansion target to make it work.

You're looking at this from only a football stand point and the power brokers are not.

Yes, but football is driving the ad revenue and expanding the footprint/base eyeballs. Football isn't the *only* thing they're looking at for B1G expansion, but I promise you football carries almost as much weight as all other intangibles combined. That's why any viable candidate that *doesn't* have a strong football program *must* have all of the other intangibles locked down.

That's why Nebraska was so easy to swallow for the B1G--at the time, we had all of the intangibles, *and* we had football. That's why getting a school from the east coast, like Rutgers, Maryland, Syracuse, won't work--their football ineptitude can't be carried by the weight of their other revenue sports (read: Men's Basketball), academics, or footprint.

And this is why Kansas hits that sweet spot--it is an AAU member, it can draw from the KC market (very small plus), and it's Basketball program is a national draw, not unlike now Nebraska football is a national draw. Plus, for all the ineptitude that surrounds Kansas football, let's remember that they made a BCS bowl more recently than Mizzery (a former B1G expansion candidate).

Why so much talk about Texas jumping conferences? What did I miss? The Big 12 seems to be doing fine. Is the Big 10 even thinking about more expansion?

Define 'fine'? Just because all of the schools, sans Texas, tied themselves to the mast of the Titanic doesn't mean the boat's going to float now. It just means they'll all share equally in the misery when the boat sinks (save for Texass, who will have their ESPN deal to fall back on).

Plus, any revenue that the Big XII can crow about will be easily surpassed when the SEC puts their CBS contract up for bid, as well as when the B1G television deal goes up for bid in 2014-2015. So the Big XII will be the fourth-best conference in terms of revenue, and with their 20 year deal, they won't get a re-up until the SEC, B1G (likely) and Pac-12 get yet another round of bidding to drive those prices higher.

1.It will most definitely NOT be a stronger conference in 2 to 3 years once Meyer and Hoke get their recruits to be Juniors. And outside of football on the field it is a terrible conference

2.Please tell me what school has staying power outside of Texas & OU?

3.All things being equal on the field. No one is going to pay big bucks for WVU,Okie lite, TCU,Tortilla Tech,Baylor, KU,KSU or ISU.

4.It is a dead conference patched together with schools that can't stand each other and are strangers.

You're looking at this from only a football stand point and the power brokers are not. too answer questions in order now.

1. your silliest comment yet. Texas and OU are powers with long term tenured coaches, too think Meyer and Hoke the Joke will surpass them in a 2 year span is hilarious. love your spirit though i really do.

The Big 12 is a great basket ball conference, KU leads the way of course, Texas is always good, and Oklahoma is always strong. TTU had been solid but is now in transition. Baylor is consistently tough and last but not least KSU has had a good run.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. where did I say any of that?

First off. I wouldn't say that's impossible but the Big Ten will be better than Big XII as a WHOLE. Not just the top-2. scUM is the key. the Big Ten started to suck when they lost their mind in 2008. It's a big difference when you have your bread and butter going 3-8 and 5-7. Please stay on topic too. we are talking about FOOTBALL. If basketball were important in anyway then KU would have left the Big XII already because they would be a hot commodity.

2. silly question numero two. Kansas has a massive and deep pocketed basketball and football following. KU is always a fixture on ESPN over the BB season. their football sucks, but as we saw in 07 they can have success at Kansas.

Okie lite is much more than you give them credit for. They are the nations premier wrestling school, the college wrestling hall of fame is in still water for heavens sake. They do well enough in other sports as well.

Once again. Basketball is irrelevant. We saw Colorado, Utah and Nebraska move around to benefit the Big Ten and Pac-12 for football only(setting up CCGs).

Kansas doesn't add anything for foots or you'd be playing them this year in the Big Ten.

same with Wrestling. Wrestling doesn't pay the bills. I'd say Big Ten wrestling is the premier conference anyway.

Iowa state also has a great wrestling program top 5 on a good year, KSU has been too a final 4 in BB recently, Baylor won the womens BB championship.......i can go on if you want me too. :)

These schools have all the ingredients for success in multiple sports. Including football. many BCS AQ conferences would entertain adding them.

Its a deep conference in many sports but the cool aid your drinking is keeping you from seeing it.

Same thing thing I said above. I love college bball. It's not what brings eyeballs.

3. All of these teams all fill their stadiumsevery saturday, ISU, KU, are the exceptions of course due too their recent failures. But these schools have large and financially reliable boosters. and what do you mean by spending the big bucks? NU sells out memorial stadium for every game, idk if you guys do that or not but for us we don't see filling the stadium as an issue. Fans will support their team no matter the opponent. and ESPN will air the game so long as one of the teams is top 25. And if they aren't that is why we gots the big 10 network.

Filling the stadium doesn't affect viewers at home or ESPiN. They don't get one cent of the gate. What ESPN does care about is that U of I has more fans and alumni than ISU. This cannot be denied. And it's not just Iowa schools. Compare from the top of the Big XII to the bottom. The corresponding Big Ten school has more fans and alumni 95% of the time.

4. another remark with no facts behind it. the schools that are 'strangers' in terms of years as members in the Big XII are the Texas schools and WVU.

The rest have been full time members for just a couple years short of the century mark. that's a long time too play sports together for a bunch of schools who hate each other and are strangers don't ya think? and an even longer time too have been 'patched' together.

And for the last part i didn't follow what you were trying too say there. may need to retype that.

Good debate though, this is fun.

If they actually respected each other then 100 years of tradition with A&M and UT, KU and Mizzou would not have been thrown out so easily. That is the simple fact.

You will eventually see Rutgers in the Big Ten. I'm pretty sure of it.

Kansas would be a good addition, not by themselves but I would endorse their addition. I don't think it happens but It would be a pleasant surprise.

Yes i totally agree. The big 10 loves history, and Rutgers is one of the 2 schools too first play the sport. beside the history it has a great team nowadays and as an academic institution is unparalleled.

I think KU gets in too help us in basketball, i agree with you there. They may try too drag their retarded little brother K-state with them though.................

You will eventually see Rutgers in the Big Ten. I'm pretty sure of it.

Kansas would be a good addition, not by themselves but I would endorse their addition. I don't think it happens but It would be a pleasant surprise.

Yes i totally agree. The big 10 loves history, and Rutgers is one of the 2 schools too first play the sport. beside the history it has a great team nowadays and as an academic institution is unparalleled.

I think KU gets in too help us in basketball, i agree with you there. They may try too drag their retarded little brother K-state with them though.................

This is the problem with the Big XII

Kansas would be welcomed. Kansas State would NOT be.

Oklahoma might be welcomed. Okie Lite would NOT be.

Texas and A&M would have been perfect but it's too late now. A&M seemed hellbent to be in the SEC as well.

Rutgers is an eventual addition and besides being a fantastic public institution it is the official state school of New Jersey(The state with the most millionaires) they have started to invest a little more in football, It is a pretty talented state with one of the top high schools(Don Bosco) and it is basically an extension of the largest TV market in the US.

The only problem is they need to either move as a tenant of Giants' Stadium in Seacaucus or invest in their football stadium to get it to 60,000-70,000. 52,000 is doable but with all the Big Ten alumni and fans on the east coast they will be getting big crowds for the big boys of the conference. Maybe play the IUs and PUs in Piscataway and the big guys at the Meadowlands.