Pelini quote about his ability (I'm assuming)

"Contrary to what you (the media) guys think, I haven't forgotten how to coach defense and how to stop the run," Pelini said.

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=322730158

That was a childish quote on Bo's part.

Of course, based on your posts from last night why should I expect anything less from you?

i do not see how that is childish. reporters have their barrels of ink to write whatever they want and rouse the rabblers. bo gets to respond.

in the first half, the offense made the defense's life a lot harder.

also, huskerXman, i noticed that glare toward jp as well. i did not read the lips, but that is the kind of look i only expect from my enemies (wife).

The words came just a few seconds before that... right when they starting walking away from the sidelines. Probably just a heat of the moment comment.

I had to rewind so my wife could see it.. He was PISSED!

in the first half, the offense made the defense's life a lot harder.

also, huskerXman, i noticed that glare toward jp as well. i did not read the lips, but that is the kind of look i only expect from my enemies (wife).

The words came just a few seconds before that... right when they starting walking away from the sidelines. Probably just a heat of the moment comment.

I had to rewind so my wife could see it.. He was PISSED!

it was an ugly look. i, too, had to rewind it for my wife.

His scheme each week makes us question his ability to coach a defense. Sorry, I am a HUGE Husker fan, but that defense gets beat 9 out of 10 games. What was he thinking!!! Blitz the young QB, everyone else did, why didn't the Blacksirts. Cuz BO was too stubborn!!!

You'll have to point out to me that we didnt blitz at all. Good grief. Where'd you come from? :facepalm:

"Contrary to what you (the media) guys think, I haven't forgotten how to coach defense and how to stop the run," Pelini said.

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=322730158

That was a childish quote on Bo's part.

So if he yells and screams he's childish.. If he tells the media he knows what he's doing in the moments after a big win he's childish.. I'll take childish with a little fire in his belly if that's the case... We missed having a little passion with Coz & Co..

Exactly! Why can't Bo be passionate? My girlfriend at the game said she wants to see Bo getting in players faces. I replied he can't because he was told not to. She said I don't care he needs to light a fire under their a$$ and get them playing football.

• Fire 1

His scheme each week makes us question his ability to coach a defense. Sorry, I am a HUGE Husker fan, but that defense gets beat 9 out of 10 games. What was he thinking!!! Blitz the young QB, everyone else did, why didn't the Blacksirts. Cuz BO was too stubborn!!!

9 out of 10 times out of 10 times in the first half. Maybe 1 out of 20 times in the second. #TeamBo

but he wins 1 out of 10 times all the time.

60 percent of the time, it works every time.

60-percent-of-the-time-anchor-man-quote.jpg

So you guys don't understand these fancy new numbers concept too well yet, do ya?

+1 for posting what I was thinking Dev.

When Bo said that it made me wonder if at half time HE took over the defensive reins. That prior to that he let Paps have control? I like to think (although I could be totally wrong) that we saw Bo Pelini defensive coaching like when he was here as DC.??
You might be looking into this a little to hard. Why is it so hard to believe that Paps didn't make the changes?
not sure if he did or not but Bo was VERY upset with JP.
How so?

During one time out that was called you could very clearly see Bo turn to JP and say " What the F are you thinking" then as we leave for break you can see Bo GLARING at JP. He was not at all happy with JP. I wasn't the only person that saw it, I brought it up in the game thread.

He's done that to many coaches and refs. So what's the difference now? I really don't see the problem. Unless!

Haha! I actually wasn't going for wordplay there.

It really did strike me as a little odd. And let's not make a mountain out of a molehill or anything, but I do think there is a little bit of a pattern here and it's a slight concern. When things are good, Bo will take the opportunity to say stuff like this. The "Oh yeah, I just showed you" shtick. I'm a little wary of that...mainly because you should always have a "work isn't finished" mentality, both in PR but more importantly in actuality.

^I'm sure we are going right back to work, that's just who Bo is. But the HC sets the tone for the team in these pressers, and relishing in little bits of vindication whenever possible... maybe not giving the best cue to our players there.

And the flip side is, there are days where the shoe is on the other foot. When those days come, you can't be distracted and affected by it. Can't respond like a threatened, cornered deer, which is harder to do the more you have earlier bravado talk to keep in mind (example: Bo will have egg on his face if Ohio State racks up 200 on the ground against us. Whenever those bad days come next, reporters won't forget what Bo's said, and Bo knows they are waiting to hold him to it. Unneeded pressure)

Can't ride the highs and lows. I talk about New England a lot because they're my home team, but nobody does this better than Belichick. I really believe that's the secret to their consistent, long-term success. They are amazing at keeping an even keel and just plugging back at it, week to week, turning the page as soon as the game is over, and not worrying about what people say or anything they can't control. That's a first-class organization and something to strive for.

The only reason this topic would come up, by the way, is not because I want to go out of my way to take pot shots at Bo. I'm not doing that. It's a topic because the result of not keeping an even keel is volatility, and that's been the one big concern our team has demonstrated during the past few seasons of the otherwise-pretty-sweet Bo Pelini era.

• Fire 1

I dont know but our local media are idiots

Reporter: You have any different feeling about going back to Columbus where you played (not word for word, but pretty much)

Bo: No

Reporter: (crying like a little kid) WHY NOT

Bo: What do you want me to say?

Reporter continues to be a baby about it and Bo says again "I dont know what you want me to say" Good grief, no wonder he gets testy with some of these guys. Let it go. I think we should be tickled pink he's worried more about the game than going back to where he came from.

He just wants Bo to give a him a soundbite he can write about. For example,

Bo played free safety and served as a captain on the 1990 Ohio State team, so this is a homecoming of sorts. But don't expect the Husker coach to hold back on Saturday.

"Yeah, I had a great time there. Earl Bruce and John Cooper taught me a lot about the game football. But nostalgia isn't something I or we will be dwelling on this week. We prepare for Ohio State just like any other opponent. They're a good football team and we have a job to do."

Although as it turns out, that's pretty much what he said.

When it was suggested that lots of folks have a soft spot for their alma mater, Pelini said he once did -- but not anymore.

"I'm at a different time in my life, a different place," he said. "I mean, I have a job to do. That's all I'm concerned with."

..."I do have pride in where I went to school and my career there," Pelini said. "That has nothing to do with Saturday. It doesn't really make any difference what happened back in '86 to '90. That's a different time in my life."

...Pelini said Ohio Stadium is a "great venue, great environment, a tremendous tradition."

"It'll be a good place for our kids to play," he said.

But Pelini said he didn't know when he last was in the "Horseshoe."

"A long, long time ago," he said.

I'm really puzzled by what you found to be inappropriate about the question, or the reporter wanting to get something from Bo such as the above, which he evidently gave.

When Bo said that it made me wonder if at half time HE took over the defensive reins. That prior to that he let Paps have control? I like to think (although I could be totally wrong) that we saw Bo Pelini defensive coaching like when he was here as DC.??

You might be looking into this a little to hard. Why is it so hard to believe that Paps didn't make the changes?

not sure if he did or not but Bo was VERY upset with JP.

Coaching Bo's defense is most likely akin to dating his daughter...better bring your A game bro and don't kook it! JP will work out just fine, he is a younger guy but knows the deal. He didn't hitch a ride from LSU as a grad assistant because he was a good old boy. He has passion, work ethic, coaching talent and he relates to the players: he will be McBride'esque when he matures. In a few years there will be 'I hope he doesn't jump ship' threads all over this board, take that to the bank.

• Fire 2