Reality

Flood

We are not halfway through a brutal five game portion of our schedule.

Most people, if being realistic and honest, did not really believe we would win them all. Wisconsin turned out to be less than we feared, yet still gave a scare and took one helluva comeback.

Northwestern, Michigan, Sparty still block our road to Indy. Let's go get em. (The team of course. I personally will not be getting anyone except my wife, unless she suddenly develops fantasies that mirror my own).

This season is not done, far from it.

Anything we do this year is cream on top. Next year is our best play.

Also, Texas lost today. That helps, for me.

• Fire 1

Most people, if being realistic and honest, did not really believe we would win them all. Wisconsin turned out to be less than we feared, yet still gave a scare and took one helluva comeback.

Northwestern, Michigan, Sparty still block our road to Indy. Let's go get em. (The team of course. I personally will not be getting anyone except my wife, unless she suddenly develops fantasies that mirror my own).

Anyone can beat Arkansas State, Idaho State, or Southern Miss. With the exception of Wisconsin this team looks pretty inept to beat a "good" team. The Huskers are on pace to finish 8-4 like I thought and are just not very good. I have tried to be supportive of Pelini and have refrained from ever saying anything disparaging about him, but I gotta admit, my faith in him, Papuchis, and Beck have taken a major hit after this game.

8-4 is not great, but it is not "tear down the stadium and start again" bad either.

It took a while for Tom to get it going. And it is a new era. Can we all agree on that much?

After the Callahan debacle, I think we owe it to ourselves to give Bo a couple more years at least. I would hate to be on the coaching carousel where we have a new guy every three years and never get beyond 8-4. Or worse. I'd rather give Bo a chance to really make sure before we let him go.

Naive? Perhaps. Or once bitten twice shy. Devil you know, and all that.

I think we will turn a corner next year, but this year is far from over, and the Rose Bowl is still wide open.

Most people, if being realistic and honest, did not really believe we would win them all.

It's not that we are losing. It's how we are losing.

That is a VERY slippery slope. The last time we considered the "quality" of losses, we ditched a coach who had, what, ten wins? Or nine?

Careful there, or we end up like Texas A&M, paying salary to 3-4 coaches as we try to figure it out. If Bo was "the guy", we need to give a little more time to see what happens. We have the athletes, I think, and perhaps a little tweaking will get us there. It doesn't hurt us much to take a couple years and a wait and see attitude. The downside is too great, I think.

Most people, if being realistic and honest, did not really believe we would win them all.

It's not that we are losing. It's how we are losing.

That is a VERY slippery slope. The last time we considered the "quality" of losses, we ditched a coach who had, what, ten wins? Or nine?

Careful there, or we end up like Texas A&M, paying salary to 3-4 coaches as we try to figure it out. If Bo was "the guy", we need to give a little more time to see what happens. We have the athletes, I think, and perhaps a little tweaking will get us there. It doesn't hurt us much to take a couple years and a wait and see attitude. The downside is too great, I think.

But I think "quality" of losses is a factor. Mainly that we are seeing the same patterns and trends repeated. It did take Tom time, but I think the biggest thing is his teams didn't beat themselves. We played sound, disciplined, fundamental football, we just did it with inferior athletes. To me anyway, it just becomes increasingly frustrating to watch the same shoddy play on the field game after game. A loss to a better team, especially if we've been competetive, is nothing to hang your head about, but we are letting teams that are not superior to us beat us, badly!

I'm not advocating to get rid of Bo, I agree with you that he needs time. I would just like to see some of these negative tendacies start to go away.

It bears repeating.... TO's standard for making a switch is as follows....

Win 9 and you're good.

Win 7 or 8 and you should be fine.

Win 6 and then it gets dicey.

Losing record and pack your bag. TO said he would not have survived a losing season.

Until Jan 1, those are the rules we are playing by.

That being said, I think Bo will be fine and I am hoping like heck for a big run from here ending with a Big and a Rose Bowl win.

We can't take that next step as a program, that's the reality. When was Nebraska's last true marquee victory, when's the last time this program has truly won a game that really meant something, something that is "Nebraska tradition" worthy? The reality is when we play on the brightest stage we shrink and it's become quite obvious over the past five years that it's not going to change anytime soon.

8-4 is not great, but it is not "tear down the stadium and start again" bad either.

It took a while for Tom to get it going. And it is a new era. Can we all agree on that much?

After the Callahan debacle, I think we owe it to ourselves to give Bo a couple more years at least. I would hate to be on the coaching carousel where we have a new guy every three years and never get beyond 8-4. Or worse. I'd rather give Bo a chance to really make sure before we let him go.

I think we will turn a corner next year, but this year is far from over, and the Rose Bowl is still wide open.

We're starting to sound like Cub fans.

Great post Flood. Honestly. However, this game is on the coaches IMO. Where was the blitz the rest of the game!? Maybe I was too drunk.

I'm pissed at the defensive play-calling Flood. But you keep it real. Thanks man. Seriously.

I was actually looking more at '14 being our year. We are seeing the effects of Bo's first 2 recruiting classes. It will get better though.

I Too was hoping for a better year, is not happening, and i too predicted 3 or 4 looses with this team.....just don,t understand what the deal is,,,kansas state wins with 2 and 3 star players,,,nu cannot with 3 and 4 star....get rid of coach, and hire kansas state,s coach.

I was actually looking more at '14 being our year. We are seeing the effects of Bo's first 2 recruiting classes. It will get better though.

Yes. Bo's last couple classes have been great improvements talent-wize (though we dont know for sure yet). So we'll see.

K-State is in some nether realm of reality.

No other way to put it. Snyder has built miracles there, and done it twice.

There is no school in the world that has enough money to hire Bill Snyder away from K-State. I admire that about Snyder, it is reminiscent of Tom Osborne.

If we want that kind of loyalty, we need to give that kind of patience. I know we are, historically, on a level far above K-State, but we got there by showing our coach that he wouldn't be canned as long as he won most of them and got the best from his players. This second part is the issue. Is Bo REALLY getting the best from his guys? I do not think so at this point, but I also think it is too soon to write this off. Bo needs a couple more years, at minimum.

Patience really can pay off.

I know there are coaches that came in and won big right away. We just faced one in Urban. But Urban is a job hopper, and trouble follows him, I think Nebraska is better than that. I think we were burned by the Callahan years, and are anxious to get back to the glory years. Our impatience could kill us, and we need to breathe and look at things more closely after the season.

Will you naysayers be here, if we get into the Rose Bowl? I know you will be if we LOSE the Rose, but will you be here if we GET there, and if we WIN it?

I think the answer is no.

Patience, my friends.