A Little Perspective

Good article. Take it for what it's worth, but I enjoyed the read. Many posters on here have made this a point before, and once again, the article's comparisons do provide a bit of perspective. Bo has a chance to right the ship and have his team finish strong this season. We'll see how it pans out.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1365238-nebraska-football-the-future-of-nebraska-football-and-bo-pelini

• Fire 1

Read the article, and I agree that these may be Pelini's "sandbox years", that experimentation should also extend to his coaching staff, and if he needs to bring in new blood and new ideas, then do it.

What's lost in the four INT performance of the Ohio State game is that our offense did hang 38 on perhaps the best defense we'll see this year, save for Michigan State. Beck, like Bo, is still in his coaching infancy, and he's already got a very potent offense. Yes, there are kinks with Beck's playcalling, our penchant for fumbles, and our O-Line problems, but it is worlds better than what we started with in 2008.

Honestly, Pelini himself has installed a great culture of responsibility and accountability, and while he's pointed the thumb instead of the finger, it's time for him to do more experimenting. Look at bringing in an experienced defensive coordinator that can mind-meld with Bo in the offseason, and to mentor Pauchipis (if he wants to stay on as a position coach).

It takes responsibility to admit you don't have all the answers, but courage to seek those answers out. Bo's got the responsibility bit down pat--let's see if he musters up the courage to make the necessary changes.

I wish more people would take this perspective. The years we have had under Pelini have been good, but not great yet. We all have high standards at NU? And want to be in the top 10 year after year. Please give him some time to grow. He show the potential, and just needs to get all of the pieces in place to have everything run like a well oiled machine. He can't do it over night and there will be more growing pains along with learning experiences, but if our painful years are 9 and 10 win seasons… and god forbid if we fall down to only an 8 win year… imagine being an Iowa fan. I have faith that our great years will be 11 to 12 win seasons finishing in the top 5-10 and either winning or making a run at the MNC!! I hope others have this same faith.

That was probably the best article I have ever read from Bleacher Report. Not that it was great, but usually they arn't even close to that good.

He makes some good points. When you hire an untested coach to be your man, you should expect a lot of growing pains. TO had them. If anyone says he didn't they are crazy and don't know. I remember my older brother very fondly calling for TO to be fired for quite a few years in the 70's.

Hey guys. First post, new to the board. I lov e the big red. Went to the school. Worked for the athletic department.

I have to say I have calmed since Saturday. I was calling for Bo's job, etc.. I think replacing could be the answer, but Bo could be the answer.

Couple of things. Not sure if you all caught it on the news but NUs defense has gotten worse in scoring defense every year. So something is not right. He needs to swallow his pride, admit there is a problem and act like a CEO. Otherwise he will be looking because its par for the course for a new AD to bring in "his guy".

I like the post someone said about a new dc. I think he needs to realize that coaching is a job he is well paid for. Not a frat for him and his buddies. I don't have the count but offensive penalties for false start and holding are coaching. It's obvious Barney doesn't do an effective job.

If I could give advice it would be take control, grow a pair, and make it better.

I think it's good to always be evaluating and making changes, but you guys have to remember that whenever a change is made, that part of the team usually goes through growing pains as they get accustomed to the new ways of doing things.

Examples:

-offensive coordinator. Beck has done a good job for the most part, but the offense is still evolving into what the vision is.

-receivers coach. A couple of years ago, the receivers were one of the worst position groups on the team. Dropped passes plagued the offense. Rich Fisher is a guy that doesn't get enough credit IMO. He has completely transformed the guys at the WR position into a group that we would all expect to see on Saturdays. Now they are easily the best WR corps in the conference, and one of the best in the nation IMO.

-secondary coach. Terry Joseph has been good so far, and he has coached up the strongest position group on the defense. There really wasn't much for growing pains there.

So moral of the story is, if you are trying to find out what product your current scheme or situation is going to put onto the field, you have to stick with it for a while to see if it is going to work. Bo is stubborn, and that is both good and bad. I still trust him to make the changes that need to be made, and he has shown the willingness to do that, with few exceptions.

• Fire 1