B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Completely agree HSKR.

A conference with New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC,Detroit, Twin Cities,Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Columbus, Atlanta, Charlotte,Raleigh, St. Louis and I can even throw Kansas City in there because I bet there are a bunch of Husker fans there(5 of the top 10 and more than 20 in the top 50)

Recruiting in Two of the top 5 states(Ohio,Georgia) and adjacent to another(Florida), Big Ten states could now include or be next to Alabama,Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey,Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Missouri and Illinois. That's pretty exciting.

Personally I would prefer FSU and UNC because my goals are for recruiting while the Big Ten's goals are for markets but adding GIT in a top-4 state wouldn't be too shabby.

I'd like to know how far FSU is from potentially applying for the AAU. I heard they are close.

Completely agree HSKR.

A conference with New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC,Detroit, Twin Cities,Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Columbus, Atlanta, Charlotte,Raleigh, St. Louis and I can even throw Kansas City in there because I bet there are a bunch of Husker fans there(5 of the top 10 and more than 20 in the top 50)

Recruiting in Two of the top 5 states(Ohio,Georgia) and adjacent to another(Florida), Big Ten states could now include or be next to Alabama,Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey,Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Missouri and Illinois. That's pretty exciting.

Personally I would prefer FSU and UNC because my goals are for recruiting while the Big Ten's goals are for markets but adding GIT in a top-4 state wouldn't be too shabby.

I'd like to know how far FSU is from potentially applying for the AAU. I heard they are close.

I believe they have applied for AAU qualification and been denied. I have tried to dig up some research on how close they are and it is hard to find much. Receiving AAU status is in the school's mission statment. They have a serious inferiority complex when compared to Florida which is a AAU member.

If the B1G adds two more ACC schools and one of them is not FSU I will be very disappointed. The B1G had to know Nebraska was going to loose their AAU membership, hell Wisonsin and Michigan voted against them. If there is further expansion FSU's brand should trump AAU membership.

If the B1G adds two more ACC schools and one of them is not FSU I will be very disappointed.

This...

...though I would amend it to be either Miami or FSU--either school would open the necessary doors for the B1G and would provide either school more money they could get from any other conference (that will have them as members).

As for FSU AAU membership, I'll check my post history--I had posted something about Florida State's AAU membership a long time ago--I'll see if I can dig it up. They're, at a minimum, actively seeking AAU membership.

GratefulRed, you're dead on--AAU membership honestly shouldn't be an automatic disqualification. Frankly, Notre Dame doesn't have AAU membership, but that never stopped Delaney from courting the Irish. Florida State (or Miami) would be a good fit and provide both things the B1G should have at the top of its list: media markets and fertile recruiting grounds full of SEC-quality athletes.

It seems as though all of this is in a holding pattern until Maryland and the ACC settle up. If the ACC settles for or is awarded in court much less than the $50 million, then the floodgates will open.

Will be interesting to see if either side will blink before this goes to court and all documents related to this are a matter of public record...

Dear lord, please include Miami in the conference expansion so that we may regularly have the pleasure of sticking our collective feet up the asses of the Cane fan douche bags that infiltrated the Beau Sandland thread!

Sorry for the run on sentence lord. Merry Xmas and happy bday!

This is a position I can support. Opening Florida recruiting while kicking Cane arse in a snowy, wintry November at Memorial Stadium would be precious.

From what I have been hearing from some guy in the know I would look for Kansas to eventually be in the Big Ten and the Big Ten to not stop at 16 if they get quality schools.

West Kansas is actually part of the DENVER market from what I understand(so that's Denver and Kansas City if you add them).

Another couple interesting tidbits this guy in the know said:

UNC really, really wants in the Big Ten as a institution(which surprised me a lot). Probably just needs to get alumni and fans aboard because I believe they would be pretty hesitant.

FSU is not being considered and Miami of Florida isn't either. UF would be the only school in Florida looked at but they aint going anywhere. This disappointed me a bit. what can you do. :(

Merry Christmas all!

From what I have been hearing from some guy in the know I would look for Kansas to eventually be in the Big Ten and the Big Ten to not stop at 16 if they get quality schools.

West Kansas is actually part of the DENVER market from what I understand(so that's Denver and Kansas City if you add them).

Another couple interesting tidbits this guy in the know said:

UNC really, really wants in the Big Ten as a institution(which surprised me a lot). Probably just needs to get alumni and fans aboard because I believe they would be pretty hesitant.

FSU is not being considered and Miami of Florida isn't either. UF would be the only school in Florida looked at but they aint going anywhere. This disappointed me a bit. what can you do. :(

Merry Christmas all!

Belated Merry Christmas to you too, Sir.

Interesting information about west Kansas and the Denver market. That would make Kansas more attractive than previously thought...and remember, Kansas has been shown to have momentary bouts of football competence in its history. Kansas to the B1G would also help all of the Nebraska naysayers complaining about travel distance.

And of course UNC wants in--they've got one of their own running the B1G! And I only say that half-jokingly; we saw how quick teams can rise when they've got an inside man at the head of the conference.

And I agree that ignoring the Florida schools, especially when the B1G goes beyond 16 teams, is a mistake. That could open a lot of doors for the B1G, and the upside is significant for the whole of the conference. I can't fathom, for the life of me, why one or the other wouldn't be in the mix.

One idea being throw around is after going to the 9 game schedule playing 4 games at home and on the road while play the one extra game at a "Neutral Site" which would obviously mean big pay outs to schools from NFL owners. Since we have almost half of the NFL stadiums as potential sites this could easily be done.

Does Kansas(if they are Big Ten bound) vs Nebraska in Kansas City sound appealing? How about Illinois vs Nebraska in Soldier Field or in the Edward Jones Dome?

There would have to be protected games but it could potentially work and it would be a nice selling point to recruits to play in NFL environments.

• Fire 1

During the review of Nebraska's status the internal AAU metrics that were made available listed FSU at #94. That was tied with one existing AAU member & ahead of one other (at #105), one of those two was almost certainly Syracuse. Nebraska was at #109.

The two newest additions (Georgia Tech & Boston U) were #31 & #37. There were about thirty other non-AAU schools ranked ahead of FSU.

NCState & VPI were tied at #91 & the University of Miami was #59.

During the review of Nebraska's status the internal AAU metrics that were made available listed FSU at #94. That was tied with one existing AAU member & ahead of one other (at #105), one of those two was almost certainly Syracuse. Nebraska was at #109.

The two newest additions (Georgia Tech & Boston U) were #31 & #37. There were about thirty other non-AAU schools ranked ahead of FSU.

NCState & VPI were tied at #91 & the University of Miami was #59.

Soooo....not good, huh?

Considering Syracuse and Nebraska lost their membership.

One idea being throw around is after going to the 9 game schedule playing 4 games at home and on the road while play the one extra game at a "Neutral Site" which would obviously mean big pay outs to schools from NFL owners. Since we have almost half of the NFL stadiums as potential sites this could easily be done.

Does Kansas(if they are Big Ten bound) vs Nebraska in Kansas City sound appealing? How about Illinois vs Nebraska in Soldier Field or in the Edward Jones Dome?

There would have to be protected games but it could potentially work and it would be a nice selling point to recruits to play in NFL environments.

That sounds pretty cool to me. I'd gladly make an annual trip to Arrowhead if this were the case.

Well, considering Colorado has no (viable) FBS colleges

There might be more Husker fans in Colorado than Kansas fans, BTW

Born and raised in Colorado Springs, I can tell you that no one gives a crap about Kansas here in Colorado. I can assure you that Kansas has no pull in the Denver market. If you're a college football fan here, most likely you cheer for CU or Nebraska. Actually, Coloradans for Nebraska is the second biggest Husker fan group outside of Nebraska (California is No. 1).

• Fire 1