B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Virginia to the Big Ten is done. signed and sealed.

Very good news for recruiting.

tons of talent(particularly top talent) in the state.

Appreciate the info. Might get crazy.

No prob.

This is same guy who let us know about the neutral site game idea that they were coming up with a month or so ago. And then I see the story this week confirming it.

With the realignment already taken place and the never ending rumors of what is yet to come, all I can think is how thankful I am that Nebraska already has it's seat at the table and it's future secure. I couldn't imagine right now if we were still in the Big 12, hoping that the BIG would show interest in us, still dealing with Texas, wondering what is next for the Big 12, adding more teams or implosion, heading west with Colorado and joining the PAC if the BIG doesn't invite?

Seeing all of this go down, I can't tell you how glad I am that TO lost his bid for governor when he did.

If UVA is already in, what's the meeting about Tmw?

Not that I'm expecting you to know the answer; I'm just thinking out loud.

Guessing: It's agreed upon but need to be officially voted?

I think maybe a plan of attack to get everything set before the Big XII or SEC intervene too quick for their liking.

probably wrong.

If UVA is already in, what's the meeting about Tmw?

They just wanted a chance to say no to Missouri again.

Or as Mavric said for the vote or just to make sure everyone is on the same page going forward.

I couldn't imagine right now if we were still in the Big 12, hoping that the BIG would show interest in us, still dealing with Texas, wondering what is next for the Big 12, adding more teams or implosion, heading west with Colorado and joining the PAC if the BIG doesn't invite?

Oh come on the Big 12 is stacked with teams that everyone wants to watch & is going to laugh all the way to the bank forever! Don't you read shaggybevo?

Last time I checked, alumni don't *just* stay in the state in which they obtained their degree. They typically settle elsewhere, and there happens to be a lot of B1G alumni in D.C. and Baltimore.

Plus, there have been multiple stories about how New York City has a significant audience for college football in general--if you can get them watching Nebraska, Ohio State, or Michigan via Rutgers (or before, Syracuse, when they were rumored), then adding the woefully under-performing local school in Rutgers pays off.

Also, Fox Sports supposedly buying the YES! network in New York may play into this as well. (link goes to Frank the Tank page where someone brought this up)

Don't forget that Fox Sports is also the minority owner of the BTN.

THIS is 100% true

A friend in Maryland quoted me some crazy numbers about transplants from Michigan, Ohio, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana AMAZING TV numbers

edit: I should probably post the criteria

1. AAU

2. Contiguous

3. Flagship University

4. Top Research school

5. New markets

6. academics

7. athletics

If this is the criteria, how did Nebraska get in? The B1G had to know there was a strong possibility NU would lose AAU membership when Wisconsin and Michigan voted to kick them out of the AAU about 6 months after NU accepted an invitation to the B1G.

I really hope the B1G adds FSU. UVA does nothing to excite me, UNC does little, and GaTech does a little less.

1. AAU

2. Contiguous

3. Flagship University

4. Top Research school

5. New markets

6. academics

7. athletics

If this is the criteria, how did Nebraska get in? The B1G had to know there was a strong possibility NU would lose AAU membership when Wisconsin and Michigan voted to kick them out of the AAU about 6 months after NU accepted an invitation to the B1G.

I really hope the B1G adds FSU. UVA does nothing to excite me, UNC does little, and GaTech does a little less.

Why wouldn't you want every advantage to steal some of these guys?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/virginiapreps/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2901

This locks down DC/Northern Virginia as Big Ten territory. No SEC and ACC teams in the area now. A very talent rich region.

You are also getting into a state that produces a ton of skill position talent.

1. AAU

2. Contiguous

3. Flagship University

4. Top Research school

5. New markets

6. academics

7. athletics

1. dont think it mattered, big ten just cares if you are currently in the aau

2. yes (border iowa)

3. yes

4. we got away with this one

5. big ten has access to omaha: nearly 900K metro, college world series venue, olympic/basketball venue, top recruits here and there

6. another one we got away with

7. Elite level

We met most of the criteria

1. AAU

2. Contiguous

3. Flagship University

4. Top Research school

5. New markets

6. academics

7. athletics

Not only that but it was Big10 schools like NW that drove the point that NU was not meeting AAU criteria. Those criteria are flexible at best. If Alabama out of the blue wanted to move to the Big10, you can be sure #s 1,2,4,6 instantly become non-essential.

1. AAU

2. Contiguous

3. Flagship University

4. Top Research school

5. New markets

6. academics

7. athletics

Not only that but it was Big10 schools like NW that drove the point that NU was not meeting AAU criteria. Those criteria are flexible at best. If Alabama out of the blue wanted to move to the Big10, you can be sure #s 1,2,4,6 instantly become non-essential.

Most ridiculous expansion related comment ever.

FSU and Oklahoma would be a Big Ten members right now if that were even remotely true.

1. AAU

2. Contiguous

3. Flagship University

4. Top Research school

5. New markets

6. academics

7. athletics

Most ridiculous expansion related comment ever.

FSU and Oklahoma would be a Big Ten members right now if that were even remotely true.

"Riiiiight" -Dr Evil in Austin Powers.

The Big10 turned down Oklahoma about as many times as ND declined to hire Bob Stoops.