Saban taking on another new challenge?

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/10/16/nfl-rumors-could-nick-saban-be-the-next-coach-of-the-cleveland-browns/

Just caught a glimpse of this. Take it for what it's worth obviously. It would not surprise me however. The number of jobs and the time he has spent at each one suggests he is a guy that likes to take on new challenges. He's got Bama rolling right now. Maybe he's bored? If he did go, Alabama would be like Nebraska '97.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/10/16/nfl-rumors-could-nick-saban-be-the-next-coach-of-the-cleveland-browns/

Just caught a glimpse of this. Take it for what it's worth obviously. It would not surprise me however. The number of jobs and the time he has spent at each one suggests he is a guy that likes to take on new challenges. He's got Bama rolling right now. Maybe he's bored? If he did go, Alabama would be like Nebraska '97.

What a great article for Saban! Get the rumorville going! More leverage! New contract! Maybe first coach, college or pro, to get $8-10mill!

I'd guess the only way Saban goes back to the pros is if he's faced with a similar situation as Pete Carroll with looming sanctions about to strike. I'm not exactly sure why a pro team would even offer a HC job to Saban. Other than Jimmy Johnson and I suppose you could throw Switzer in there just because he won a Super Bowl with Jimmy's talent, very few coaches have success at both the college and professional level. If I were a pro team owner, I'd try a lot harder to lure Gruden back into coaching than offer Saban the job.

• Fire 1

If I were Saban, I'd go the way of Bear Bryant and retire at Alabama. If he needs motivation to stick around, try and topple some of Bryant's coaching records at Bama. That massive shadow is already looming over him at the moment.

Bear Bryant's Alabama Resume (25 yrs.)

232 wins @ Bama

6 National Titles

13 SEC Championships

Nick Saban's Alabama Resume (6 yrs.)

61 wins @ Bama (including present 2012 season)

2 National Titles @ Bama (1 with LSU)

1 SEC Championship (2 with LSU)

EDIT: Correction on Saban's SEC Championships. He's only won 1, so far. I had him at 2.

Hasn't Saban won 2 NC with Bama'? Second, I highly doubt Saban wants to coach until he's 80.

Yes. It's already noted that way though. ;)

2 National Titles @ Bama (1 with LSU)

Meaning he has 3 total National Titles with 2 of them being @ Bama. The other with LSU.

And I agree that he'll likely not coach until he's 80. He's 60 now. I'm guessing another 10 years of coaching (15 at most?) before he calls it quits? He can still accomplish a lot in that amount of time at the pace he's going now. I'm predicting another Bama National Title in 2012. That'd put him @ 3 with Bama. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he could tie or beat Bryant's NC haul at Bama in the next 10 years.

He would have to average 11.5 wins over the next 15 years to match Bryant's wins. I don't see that happening. Is it possible? Yes, but even Bowden and JoPa found it harder and harder to get talent and coach the older they got.

i think being there for 15 years is the way more difficult challenge that the 11.5 wins. In today's game with the potential for 14 games, and usually playing 13, 11 to 12 wins every year is not all out of reach, esp for a monster program like Bama is right now.

He would have to average 11.5 wins over the next 15 years to match Bryant's wins. I don't see that happening. Is it possible? Yes, but even Bowden and JoPa found it harder and harder to get talent and coach the older they got.

Yeah, I don't expect him to break Bear's wins @ Bama. Which is why I said "some" of Bear's records. I suggested that he could either tie or break Bear's National Title haul in the next 10 years, assuming he were to stick around that long? Hypothetically, if Saban were to tie or break Bear's National Title record, he'd have done it in a shorter amount of time than Bear did. Assuming Saban coaches until he's 70 @ Bama with 6 National Titles to his name, he'll have coached @ Bama for 16 years. Winning 6 or more National Titles in 16 years is enough to earn him equal status as Bear in the annals of Bama football lore.

FYI, by the time Bear was starting his 16th year @ Bama, he had 4 national titles to his name. Assuming Bama wins the title again in 2012, Saban will have 3 to his name in 6 years @ Bama.

The older he gets, the more other coaches will use his age against him in recruiting. They will put questions in the recruits mind of if he will be there for the next 4 years.

For many, that won't matter. For some it will.

If he continues to win the way he has since taking over Bama, his age will have little impact in recruiting. Kids like going to winning programs that churn out 1st round NFL talent on a regular basis. Love 'em or hate 'em, Bama does that and they've done it very well with Saban at the helm.