What Did We Learn???

Giving Taylor 18 carries or whatever it was is a misuse of 18 plays. He is our least effective offensive weapon on his feet and would like to see the ball distributed to others more. If this was 2 years ago before the coaches made him more cautious with the ball I would be fine with it. He is simply not an effective runner on his feet when compared to Burkhead, Ameer, Bell, Heard, Cross, Enunwa, Marlow, and Turner.

He is, without question, more effective on his feet than Turner. At least Martinez seems to know which direction the endzone is. Turner will just run from east to west to east and then trip over his own feet, virtually every time he gets the ball.

Also, isn't Martinez, like, our second leading rusher? I'd say he does alright with what he has.

Here are the stats for rushing. I respectively and massively disagree that Martinez is better on his feet than Turner.

rCdIJ.png

1) Solid 4th qtr comeback win after bumbling through most of this game. TMart may have just saved Bo's job.

2) Enunwa showed he can be a mismatch and had a good game.

3) We are sloppy and it really hurts, muffed punts, fumbles, Reed blocking our own lineman. This after 2 weeks to prepare?

4) We have some very good skill players on offense and some in the secondary. The line play is why we are not a dominant team anymore. TMart is very good when he has protection (otherwise he is blindly throwing it out of our own endzone!). The DLine still is not getting pressure needed.

5) This team would be very scary if it could create turnovers and not give the ball away. My theory on why we don't get turnovers. Many factors at play here. First, the DLine cannot pressure so QB's are never making those bad throws which lead to INT's. Second, we lack controlled aggression and ability to play downhill. EMart is the best at this. Stafford often plays with dumb aggression. The others are all fairly weak. On their first TD Compton was closing on their QB and had chance to put a hit on that would have disrupted the play...but instead he pulled up for no reason and let the play go for easy pitch and catch TD. There was another play where their QB scrambled late to convert a first down where Evans could have laid the wood and maybe made the stop but instead got out of the way, conceded yardage, and the first down. Hit the QB instead and force a fumble! Third, why can't we hold onto an INT? My weird conspiracy theory is seems most other teams use same type of ball where our NU footballs look different, more round and less pointy, so we are not used to this...not sure what is up with this but we need INT's when they are thrown at us. Imagine if our defense was creating turnovers and giving our offense the ball inside the opponent territory...we'd be in control of a lot of games.

4 games against quality competition this year: UCLA, Wisconsin, Ohio St, Northwestern. We lost two of them and had to make epic comebacks to win the other two.

I've learned that even after the bye week, the coaches have still not found a way to clean up the mistakes, penalties and mental errors that are rampant with this team and holding them back from becoming a great team.

1. T-Mart has outplayed Beck's terrible play calling yet again.

2. Bo needs to learn to coach on the sideline, instead of just screaming at refs and players.

3. Our secondary is finally finding their identity. PHYSICAL ASS FOOTBALL

4. This team lacks discipline in almost every aspect of the game, but mostly from our coaching staff.

5. Burkhead is most likely our for the rest of the year, sad to lose him but thank god for our depth.

6. Beck went to the designed QB draw 7-8 times and it netted maybe 20 yards total, yet we didn't one run quick pass or screen the entire game. I would love an in depth reason as to why he decided to do this.

On #2. How do you know what he's doing? Are you standing next to him, or are you just going by what you see on tv? Since the cameras are on him the whole game, I can see how you can come to that conclusion.

Oh wait, no I can't.

1) Solid 4th qtr comeback win after bumbling through most of this game. TMart may have just saved Bo's job.

3) We are sloppy and it really hurts, muffed punts, fumbles, Reed blocking our own lineman. This after 2 weeks to prepare?

4) We have some very good skill players on offense and some in the secondary. The line play is why we are not a dominant team anymore. TMart is very good when he has protection (otherwise he is blindly throwing it out of our own endzone!). The DLine still is not getting pressure needed.

5) This team would be very scary if it could create turnovers and not give the ball away. My theory on why we don't get turnovers. Many factors at play here. First, the DLine cannot pressure so QB's are never making those bad throws which lead to INT's. Second, we lack controlled aggression and ability to play downhill. EMart is the best at this. Stafford often plays with dumb aggression. The others are all fairly weak. On their first TD Compton was closing on their QB and had chance to put a hit on that would have disrupted the play...but instead he pulled up for no reason and let the play go for easy pitch and catch TD. There was another play where their QB scrambled late to convert a first down where Evans could have laid the wood and maybe made the stop but instead got out of the way, conceded yardage, and the first down. Hit the QB instead and force a fumble! Third, why can't we hold onto an INT? My weird conspiracy theory is seems most other teams use same type of ball where our NU footballs look different, more round and less pointy, so we are not used to this...not sure what is up with this but we need INT's when they are thrown at us. Imagine if our defense was creating turnovers and giving our offense the ball inside the opponent territory...we'd be in control of a lot of games.

I'm glad you mentioned this What the hell was Compton doing? He was unblocked, and literally stutter stepped his way to the QB. Just lay the f'n wood man. Another example of thinking way too much instead of just playing the game.

1. T-Mart has outplayed Beck's terrible play calling yet again.

2. Bo needs to learn to coach on the sideline, instead of just screaming at refs and players.

3. Our secondary is finally finding their identity. PHYSICAL ASS FOOTBALL

4. This team lacks discipline in almost every aspect of the game, but mostly from our coaching staff.

5. Burkhead is most likely our for the rest of the year, sad to lose him but thank god for our depth.

6. Beck went to the designed QB draw 7-8 times and it netted maybe 20 yards total, yet we didn't one run quick pass or screen the entire game. I would love an in depth reason as to why he decided to do this.

On #2. How do you know what he's doing? Are you standing next to him, or are you just going by what you see on tv? Since the cameras are on him the whole game, I can see how you can come to that conclusion.

Oh wait, no I can't.

I think there is a more effective manner to coach and communicate then yelling at players and refs for four quarters.

Giving Taylor 18 carries or whatever it was is a misuse of 18 plays. He is our least effective offensive weapon on his feet and would like to see the ball distributed to others more. If this was 2 years ago before the coaches made him more cautious with the ball I would be fine with it. He is simply not an effective runner on his feet when compared to Burkhead, Ameer, Bell, Heard, Cross, Enunwa, Marlow, and Turner.

I could agree with Taylor's 18 carries being a misuse of about 8 carries. He should be around 10 carries.

But to say Taylor shouldn't get any carries or that he's not an effective runner? Come on.

I could agree with Taylor's 18 carries being a misuse of about 8 carries. He should be around 10 carries.

But to say Taylor shouldn't get any carries or that he's not an effective runner? Come on.

Yeah I probably went overboard with that. I would like to see 8-10 carries a game for Taylor.

1. Speical teams continue to be an abomination

2. 3rd & 1 means here comes a playaction pass (aka, Beck needs to pull his head out of his ass)

3. That the "Go Big Red" chant was heard clearly in Evanston

4. Our defense may get Blackshirts this week

5. T-Mart stepped up big in the 4th qtr.. maybe a sign of things to come

Agree.

If the team plays as sloppily as they did yesterday, they will lose however. Leaving us questioning the program.

I'm glad you mentioned this What the hell was Compton doing? He was unblocked, and literally stutter stepped his way to the QB. Just lay the f'n wood man. Another example of thinking way too much instead of just playing the game.

It would make sense if it was Simien. We wouldn't want to hurt him and leave only Kolter as QB. Remember what happened last year? Maybe we learned something.

It would make sense if it was Simien. We wouldn't want to hurt him and leave only Kolter as QB. Remember what happened last year? Maybe we learned something.

Not sure if your serious with that statement

I learned.....

Bye weeks apparently do not help

Neb prefers to love having a - turnover margin

Beck forgets he has Cross and Marrow for 3rd and Short

Jamal Turner still does not get the ball enough

Talor runs like a girl until he sees an opening

And my biggest gripe is special teams, the fumbles suck of course, but this unit needs some serious work...

Other than that very happy they pulled it off, if anything this brings some momentum back home, still think this team is pretty awesome IF they can put it together for 4 qtrs.

This is starting to really aggrevate me. Why in the hell are we trying to slam a 185lb Abdullah into the line on 3rd and 2, and then a while later have Cross next to Martinez in the shotgun? I dont get it.

Maybe the same reason NW uses Siemian for zone reads and Kolter for passing on occasions.

He is, without question, more effective on his feet than Turner. At least Martinez seems to know which direction the endzone is. Turner will just run from east to west to east and then trip over his own feet, virtually every time he gets the ball.

Also, isn't Martinez, like, our second leading rusher? I'd say he does alright with what he has.

Here are the stats for rushing. I respectively and massively disagree that Martinez is better on his feet than Turner.

rCdIJ.png

According to your stats, Jamal Turner is averaging a whopping 1 yard per carry.

And if you took sacks out of the equation (I believe Taylor's been sacked 13 times for about 113 yards), Taylor would be averaging over 6 yards per carry.

I'm not sure either. I can seriously say I was glad they didn't do a 90/10 split with Kolter/Siemian at QB.

I'm not sure either. I can seriously say I was glad they didn't do a 90/10 split with Kolter/Siemian at QB.

Agree completely. Northwestern had a horrible game plan. Had they played Kolter at QB for the majority, if not all of the snaps, this game ends differently IMO.