Ann Coulter

Meh. Is "retard" offensive still? Is "derp" offensive yet?

Language is amazing. If Coulter used the word "derp" today, it's not an issue. But the implied meaning of both words are the same.

Fast forward a few years, when "derp" is widely used to mock both the truly mentally handicap and those who are just stupid, and uh oh, now it's offensive.

P.S.

If you are offended by someone, you should ask yourself, 'why do I let them offend me?'.

Waiting for the Sarah Palin condemnation of Coulter for this comment...

Don't hold your breath.

Glad to see this was the first post of the thread. :)

Meh. Is "retard" offensive still? Is "derp" offensive yet?

Language is amazing. If Coulter used the word "derp" today, it's not an issue. But the implied meaning of both words are the same.

Fast forward a few years, when "derp" is widely used to mock both the truly mentally handicap and those who are just stupid, and uh oh, now it's offensive.

P.S.

If you are offended by someone, you should ask yourself, 'why do I let them offend me?'.

Language is, was, and ever will be dynamic, based on the cultural context around it.

What is troublesome here is that there was already a cultural context that the GOP built up, via Sarah Palin, about the derogatory use of the term. Yet, one of their pundits not only used the term, but hasn't backed away, recanted, or otherwise apologized for it.

It's not as if this word *just* became offensive yesterday--it's been declared offensive by multiple segments of the population for some time...including the specific minority for which Ann produces material for.

I suppose it's just a matter of time before Hannity lashes out via Twitter and refers to Obama as a n****r. Because, Ann's actions suggest that it's perfectly acceptable to ignore cultural context of slurs and derogatory names when it gets in the way of character assassination of a public or political figure. :facepalm:

---

As an aside, derp =/= retarded. Via urbandictionary.com, the definition of 'derp' is:

A simple, undefined reply when an ignorant comment or action is made.

Nowhere does retardation or mental disabilities enter into the equation. Stupidity, ignorance...yes. Retardation...not so much.

Though, considering derp (and it's cousin, herp-a-derp) are used quite commonly when discussing Tea Party/fringe conservative actions and "logic", it stands to reason why one would mistake 'derp' as a not-so-subtle replacement for 'retard'.

ann-coulter-101907.jpg

Anyone else see the irony in someone with a horse face having a name pronounced COLTer? :lol:

Why should her looks enter into this? I mean, if you're hitting up Fox or MSNBC to ogle women, you're going about it wrong.

Unless, I suppose, your fetish includes being provided incessant and inane political commentary during the heat of the moment. If so, then I suppose ogle away? :confucius

Since we're now resorting to using Urban Dictionary as a reference for facts to prove points...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Herp-a-derp

#1 voted meaning for "Herp-a-derp" is :

Another, lesser known name for a special person. Meant to be as offensive as the word retard. Though it can be used as universally as the word "f**k" such as "Quit being a such herp-a-derp" or "go be a herp-a-derp somewhere else". however the word can be butchered to be simply "herp" or "derp". Although some "herp-a-derps" will reverse the word and say "Derp-a-herp". Saying "Herp-a-derp" as a question changes the meaning to "A retard?" or "That Retard?"

------------

Substitute the word "retard" for the word "derp" when someone uses it even here on Huskerboard, and the meanings are more than likely synonymous.

That's because of the 2nd meaning of "Retard" :

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=retard

1. A person with a mental deficiency

2. An offensive term used to refer to someone acting in an irritating or generally stupid way.

------

If you are offended by the reference to "mental retardation" that the word "retard" carries, then are you offended by the use of its substitutes?

I agree that people in general allow themselves to be more offended by the word "retard".

The funny thing is, using the term "retard" wasn't always offensive...it was slang for referring to someone with actual mental retardation.

It wasn't until people starting using against other non-retarded people in order to be condescending and derisive.

Enter "political correctness" and now the word is considered "offensive".

"Derp" was created as a substitute for "retard", among other words...and is used by many to refer to some as a "retard" in a condescending and derisive manner.

My original point, and I'm sure I had one... was that Ann Coulter could have said "derp" as a substitute for "retard" and it wouldn't have been considered offensive, even though it was meant to be condescending and derisive and a reference to a stupidity of the highest magnitude, "mental retardation".

My other point is - it's impossible for someone to offend you unless you choose to let them.

Being offended by someone is the result of a weak mind.

Finding someone offensive is really what happens. It's an observation by you, not an act done to you.

For example, consider when some apologizes by saying, "I'm sorry you were offend by my comments". That's not an apology!

instead of what they should apologize for, "I'm sorry for being offensive".

ramble done.

So if someone takes offense to something, you don't care. Got it.

Well...

As an outside party (me) observing two other parties interact, in which one is acting offensive (i.e. Ann Coulter), and another is letting themselves be offended (you?) ...

... I'm equally disappointed in both parties.

If by "caring" you mean a feeling of disappointment as opposed to indifference, then yes I do care.

If by "caring" you my sympathy/empathy for either ...then no, I don't care because I don't have any.

I guess the accepted rational is the basic formula for political correctness :

Some people are mentally retarded.

Some people know/care for someone who is mentally retarded.

It's assumed, some of those people are offended when others use the word "retard" to describe a "normal" person as being stupid/unintelligent/moronic/etc....

Therefore, we all must be offended and condemn the offender (and those who don't condemn the offender).

For me, I'm not a big believer in political correctness. I don't inherently become offended when I observe someone else claiming to be offended...or as in this case, someone saying something pre-determined to be offensive

I suppose some folks would label this "not caring".

that doesn't mean I don't care when someone is acting offensive.

Really couldn't care less whether you agree or disagree. You don't make the call on this board on what is or isn't offensive.

OK... not sure I was trying to do that....but I agree.

Just pointing out the similar meanings, uses and intentions of the words "retard" and "derp" but disparity in condemnation today. My original point was about how in the future, "derp" could become offensive to some because of how similar it's being used to word "retard". Or maybe not.

So if someone takes offense to something, you don't care. Got it.

Well...

As an outside party (me) observing two other parties interact, in which one is acting offensive (i.e. Ann Coulter), and another is letting themselves be offended (you?) ...

... I'm equally disappointed in both parties.

If by "caring" you mean a feeling of disappointment as opposed to indifference, then yes I do care.

If by "caring" you my sympathy/empathy for either ...then no, I don't care because I don't have any.

I guess the accepted rational is the basic formula for political correctness :

Some people are mentally retarded.

Some people know/care for someone who is mentally retarded.

It's assumed, some of those people are offended when others use the word "retard" to describe a "normal" person as being stupid/unintelligent/moronic/etc....

Therefore, we all must be offended and condemn the offender (and those who don't condemn the offender).

For me, I'm not a big believer in political correctness. I don't inherently become offended when I observe someone else claiming to be offended...or as in this case, someone saying something pre-determined to be offensive

I suppose some folks would label this "not caring".

that doesn't mean I don't care when someone is acting offensive.

Really couldn't care less whether you agree or disagree. You don't make the call on this board on what is or isn't offensive.

OK... not sure I was trying to do that....but I agree.

Just pointing out the similar meanings, uses and intentions of the words "retard" and "derp" but disparity in condemnation today. My original point was about how in the future, "derp" could become offensive to some because of how similar it's being used to word "retard". Or maybe not.

My point was not directed at Knapp and not you. But I am not truly offended. I just find it ironic that some things are considered offensive and personal attacks, and others are not. I was merely trying to make a point. Apparently I failed. I was trying to agree with you about the fact that Derp and Retard are often used interchangeably.