Ref's

mwj98

I don't know that they have it out for Bo. I think these guys had a bad game. Is it all part of some vast conspiracy? I'm not sure I have enough tinfoil to make a hat large enough to fit my bulbous head to buy into that.

I went back and looked at our games, and the crews we've had. To the best of my knowledge we've only had the same crew in any two games twice - the crew who called the game at UCLA called Saturday's game against Michigan.

For the most part, they were the same crew:

@ UCLA Crew:

Referee: Dan Capron

Umpire: Jim Shaw

Linesman: Jim Ryan

Line judge: Tom Krispinsky

Back judge: Jack Lyman

Field judge: Al Terry

Side judge: Craig Jeffreys

Scorer: Rich Perelman

Michigan Crew:

Referee: Dan Capron

Umpire: Jim Shaw

Linesman: Jim Ryan

Line judge: Tom Krispinsky

Back judge: Robert Smith Jr

Field judge: Al Terry

Side judge: Craig Jeffreys

Scorer: Steve Morrison

The italicized guys are different; otherwise the crews are the same.

In the UCLA game, this crew called more penalties on the Bruins than the Huskers: UCLA - 11/126; NU - 7-60

In the Michigan game, it was reversed: Michigan - 3/44; NU - 8-104.

So there's not exactly a lot of evidence of bias here, although it's probably worth pointing out that the UCLA game was a non-con game. I'm sure next year we'll have a Pac-12 crew in Lincoln.

I have no idea if the rumor that we requested that one of these guys never calls another one of our games is true or not. But there's at least some prior history. Hard to say if any of this means anything. Likely not.

..............By the way, Bo losing his cool with the referees is normal. I watched Muschamp and Saban this weekend, and they make Bo look like a saint. Muschamp implodes.

How about Stoops' brothers during Irish game? Blown gaskets. Actually legit call. Bob slammed his headset to the ground and then immediatly jawed towards referee(s)....also at least 20 feet outside sideline mark (no-no rules). You're right mwj98, Bo look like a saint. BTW, no unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Huh?

If there's a disparity in penalty yards, it's a clear indication of bias, intentional or not?

That would require assuming that every team commits the same number of penalties every game, and it's just up to the refs to catch them.

Sometimes a disparity in penalty yards is the same as the disparity in rushing yards, it simply reflects how the team performed.

This kinda blurs into the parallel debate on here that the national gameday announcers and ESPN commentators somehow have it in for Nebraska. It's not accurate. It's paranoid. It's a bad look for Husker fans.

For the record, every broadcast team in college and pro will cut to the sideline if they have a shot of a coach or team member getting pissed, or just emotional, or like Tom Osborne looking stoic when everyone was thinking he's secretly pissed. Bo has a reputation, but he earned it. Whether you like it or not is up to you, but again, this is hardly the media's fault. Whether it rubs refs the wrong way is up to them.