Martinez Set to Pass Crouch on Nebraska's All-Time Yardage List

Just imagine what Taylor's stats would look like if he got to play behind Crouch's OL. This isn't necessarily a knock on Barney Cotton but rather a knock on the calibur of talent.

Frazier's stats don't look better than they do because he had LP and Ahman behind him. Plus, we used to let our fullback carry the ball.

Crouch was a better qb thatn martinez. Crouch could juke in the opone field while martinez cant. Burkhead was just as good as crouch's running backs.. Im not dissing Martinez but Crouch, Frazier, Frost, Ganz were all better qb's.

Ganz is absolutely NOT better than Martinez. Crouch was a better player, and for his offense was great. Martinez is a better passer than Crouch.

Just imagine what Taylor's stats would look like if he got to play behind Crouch's OL. This isn't necessarily a knock on Barney Cotton but rather a knock on the calibur of talent.

Frazier's stats don't look better than they do because he had LP and Ahman behind him. Plus, we used to let our fullback carry the ball.

Crouch was a better qb thatn martinez. Crouch could juke in the opone field while martinez cant. Burkhead was just as good as crouch's running backs.. Im not dissing Martinez but Crouch, Frazier, Frost, Ganz were all better qb's.

Ganz? I don't know why everyone puts this guy up on a pedestal. He was a good player, I will give him that. He was also an interception pick six machine at times. Oklahoma? How many points did he put up against Missouri? Martinez is already better than Ganz as a senior.

• Fire 2

Just because a player has an All Time record does not make him an All Time great player.

There are plenty of players throughout college football history that have set team and NCAA All Time records that would not be considered All Time greats at their respective positions.

I won’t say this is the case with Taylor Martinez because he still has work left to do, but just something to think about before throwing his name in with Tommie, Turner and Crouch.

It's kind of funny that Gill is rarely ever mentioned with regards to best NU QB's. I'd venture to guess it has a lot to do with him playing nearly 30 years ago. It might also have something to do with having the luxury of playing alongside Fryar and Rogier.

Agreed. People always forget about Steve Taylor too. I'd take him over Ganz anyday.

I believe he's the 3rd QB in FBS history to pass for more than 5,000yds and rush for 2,000yds (Vince Young and Brad Smith are the other two). I think that's what the commentators mentioned during the Michigan game. I could be wrong. I have CRAFT disease

I'm guessing they must have been commentating (didn't hear as I was at the game) that was only the 2nd time two QB's with those stats had played in the same game.

That may have very well been the case. Like I said, I have CRAFT disease so I tend to forget things

That's not a real disease is it? IIRC Google said it wasn't but now I can't remember for certain.

Probly because you have CRAFT disease too.

I believe he's the 3rd QB in FBS history to pass for more than 5,000yds and rush for 2,000yds (Vince Young and Brad Smith are the other two). I think that's what the commentators mentioned during the Michigan game. I could be wrong. I have CRAFT disease

I'm guessing they must have been commentating (didn't hear as I was at the game) that was only the 2nd time two QB's with those stats had played in the same game.

That may have very well been the case. Like I said, I have CRAFT disease so I tend to forget things

That's not a real disease is it? IIRC Google said it wasn't but now I can't remember for certain.

Probly because you have CRAFT disease too.

Glad somebody got the joke. I posted from a tablet so I didn't have this :D

So reading this thread got me thinking. I gather that Martinez is the not the best qb to play at the Nebraska and never will be regarded that way. With that said, I am very impressed with his play and they way he has stepped up this year and is starting to show some leadership that is needed from the qb. So I ask, where would he rank all time if say he wins the next 2 B1G championships, a Rose Bowl, plays for at National Title(maybe not win it), and just for fun wins the Heisman next year? This is obviously hypothetical and a bit of a stretch that I highly doubt will happen but I want to know what it would take to move him up toward the top of the list.

He's done a good job this year and should have a banner year next year.

At the risk of being chastised T-Mart's stats are well earned, but they also have been earned in a wide open offense with many weapons.

In years gone by our offenses were a little more conservative and geared more towards the RB's. Regardless Taylor is a big play guy and deserves a pat on the back.

Let's flash back to 2009, when the anemic Husker offense often had trouble cracking 200 yards a game, even with Roy Helu and a fresh-faced Rex Burkhead in the backfield.

That led to the 2010 season when Pelini and Watson were looking at another season of Zac Lee, or dumping him for the incredibly skittish looking Cody Green, or......handing it over to an untested freshman and revamping the offense to his skill set. That's when Taylor Martinez came in and simply took over, a stretch that earned him Heisman consideration as a freshman before the injury that I think screwed up his confidence as much as his leg, and kinda screwed up the whole team's confidence. Hindsight's always perfect, but I think if Pelini would have let Zac Lee take over for a few games instead of forcing Martinez to hobble his way through, the Husker's might have won an extra game or two, Martinez would have progressed faster and the team wouldn't have fallen into the deep funk of losing a meaningless rematch with Washington in the Holiday Bowl.