Less than Average Defense?

Zaimejs

To be honest, the defense has taken a major step backwards after Carl Pelini left for FAU.

Papuchis better figure this out or he's got to go.

WOW, we are 7-2, clear path to the Rose Bowl, the only 2 teams we lost to are in the top 20, we have the 6th toughest strength of schedule in the country...aaaaaaannnnd we want both our offensive and defensive cordinators fired, this is unbelievable. Where does all this underserved sense of accomplishment come from?

I wonder if people pay attention to any other teams besides the Huskers? We played a top 5 defense, survived some atrocious officiating and WON!

Look at almost any team in the country outside of a few SEC squads and everyone has trouble with offenses today. Look at some scores/yards/stats given up. Oregon gives up 51 to USC as an example.

In the 4th quarter, they were terrific when the game was on the line. It's never going to be as dominant as we want, but I'll take the W over style points anyday.

To be honest, the defense has taken a major step backwards after Carl Pelini left for FAU.

WOW, we are 7-2, clear path to the Rose Bowl, the only 2 teams we lost to are in the top 20, we have the 6th toughest strength of schedule in the country...aaaaaaannnnd we want both our offensive and defensive cordinators fired, this is unbelievable. Where does all this underserved sense of accomplishment come from?

I see what you're saying and am happy about the record and who the losses came to, but where'd you get the 6th SOS from?

Sagarin has Neb. at 32 SOS.

This is way off the mark. With the way that Michigan State actually dedicated themselves to running Bell yesterday they probably would have beaten us last year with the same gameplan. Much improved stopping the run this year especially the past few weeks and much improved LB play as of late.

I see nothing but improvement from last year.

I wonder if people pay attention to any other teams besides the Huskers? We played a top 5 defense, survived some atrocious officiating and WON!

Look at almost any team in the country outside of a few SEC squads and everyone has trouble with offenses today. Look at some scores/yards/stats given up. Oregon gives up 51 to USC as an example.

In the 4th quarter, they were terrific when the game was on the line. It's never going to be as dominant as we want, but I'll take the W over style points anyday.

Exactly. I also think half the people on here miss most of the game because they have their nose buried in the computer complaining about a bad play call or an INT instead of actually watching the game.

I was just looking at the stats from the game... MSU was well above their offensive averages in every category against us. They've played some less than stellar opponents. So does that mean that our defense is just that bad? I was jokingly saying how we made their running back, Bell, look like a Heismann candidate. But it's not funny when a defensive genius keeps giving us less than average defensive performances.

FYI .... There QB was 9 for 27 passing and by the way we won the game.

How bad can we possible be?

Actually rewatching the game now, and Bell greatly benefited from Santos and Green taking a good number of garbage angles to the ball carrier. The 20 yarder in the first quarter is a perfect example. Santos forced him wide when he slammed into the lead blocker, and Green didnt get out and force him back to Compton or Baker. Poor angle and assignments all the way around. There were many others like this. It is not our lack of ability, just dont play with our head as much as we should.

This is way off the mark. With the way that Michigan State actually dedicated themselves to running Bell yesterday they probably would have beaten us last year with the same gameplan. Much improved stopping the run this year especially the past few weeks and much improved LB play as of late.

I see nothing but improvement from last year.

I thought we were improving too this year but not from last year. We finished ranked 64th in rushing defense last year, currently 87th.

I thought it would be interesting to look at MSU's last 5 games and choice of run vs pass. MSU ran on us more than any of their previous 4 opponents. Not sure what to make of it other then they thought it would be their best chance against us. The result of their horrible game plan from last year might have something to do with it. Here are the completion/attempts and carries for their last 5 games. Iowa's defense played well against MSU.

Nebraska. 9/27. 43 carries

Wisconsin 24/39. 28 carries

Michigan 21/34 31 carries

Iowa. 12/31. 39 carries

Indiana. 24/40. 42 carries