Less than Average Defense?

Zaimejs

Didn't look like the new "speedy" d-line setup with Cam Meredith at DT helped very much yesterday. Maxwell had tons of time to throw on most of his pass attempts from the pocket. On the other hand, Eric Martin was a beast including that play where he blew by the MSU LT on a simple swim move. More of that, please! It's a complete head-scratcher that Bo chose to keep E-Mart on the bench all of last year

I was looking at the stats last night of past MSU opponents to see how we compared.

MSU yardage Total/Rushing/Passing

Nebraska: 361/238/123

Wisconsin: 277/61/216

Michigan: 304/112/192

Iowa: 257/123/134

Indiana: 410/120/290

Our defense against the run was disappointing considering how much the coaches were talking about it before the game.

Our defense struggled against the run and that is where the yards came from. But Michigan State's players are really good players, but they are just young and inexperienced. It is natural that later in the season and with more experience their efficiency and production will increase. So don't completely compare them early in the season to us now.

That's why I looked up stats from the most recent games and put them in order. I think the yards rushing and passing are in line with our pass and run defense rankings. We did well against the pass. It's almost like our philosophy going into the game was we're going to stop the pass and you have to make yards running. The opposite of what Papuchis said going into the game. I thought end of Wiscy, NW and MI games showed that our defense was improving. Now, I'm not so sure.

Eh, I hope that Bo goes back to the attacking defense next weekend or McGloin is gonna have a field day with us. Hopefully we stop this shooting ourselves in the foot stuff with the penalties and turnovers. If we don't it's gonna be a rough game next weekend. PSU is a good football team and is much better than everyone thought they would be. Not nearly as worried about Minnesota, but we still need to respect them. Iowa is terrible................

We couldn't get pressure on their QB with 4 other than Martin that one time. We need 3 other guys like Martin and we'd be better off. He's gotten a lot better with his technique after looking somewhat lost last year playing DE

I find it ironic that we spent most of last year, our "introductory B1G year" with Raymond saying how we'd have to change the way we do things with our DB's because the B1G refs were "much more happy to throw DPI flags" if hand checking was going on.

Then we spend the whole year playing softer coverage and not realizing for a while that they really WEREN'T that much stricter than Big 12 refs.

And now this year they're all over the DB's nuts for trying to play physical with the receivers. Seems like the status quo changes a lot with these guys. Just can't win with these refs...? :dunno:confucius

I think that thought behind this thread is trying to categorize a breakdown or 3 into a total generalization that we were consistently gashed-Ohio St and UCLA style-by a very anemic Michigan St. offense. But the bottom line is, our defense completely dominated the 4th quarter when they had to. So if one is going to nit pick this play or that, then that fact had better be mentioned as well. It's is comparable to saying Taylor Martinez played a horrible game.

I have to say I was very critical of the defense earlier this year, but they really have come on as of late. Yesterday there was much better gang tackling of Bell every time he touched the ball after halftime, so Papuchis must have harped on that in the lockerroom. It was similar to what we saw against Ball in the Wisconsin game. We even shut them down on a 3rd and 1, which we never used to see earlier this season. Our DBs continue to be the strength of the team, and Ciante Evans, Andrew Green, Josh Mitchell have really improved. SJB has the potential to be a really good one. If we can upgrade our D-line, we have the makings of a pretty good unit next year.

The issues that I saw are an easy fix. Andrew Green not keeping contain on a few plays that let Bell get to the outside. Things of that nature.

Lets not pretend that Michigan State isn't talented on both sides of the ball guys and well coached. They were also playing their nineth game of the year as well and their staff seemed to have a very well put together gameplan for us and we didn't execute ours on defense as well as we should have. One game in which we didn't play our best doesnt define our capabilities. We found a way to win a game in a tough place to play against a team that played for a Big Ten Championship last year and was coming off a momentum building win against Wisconsin.

We won people. The defense punched MSU in the face when it counted.

That is all.

Definitely a good win but I'm interested to see if we are improving. I don't think we should dwell on the UCLA and OSU games but they indicate that defense is something to be concerned about. It seems like our defense took a small step backwards against MSU given how bad their offense is.

I find it ironic that we spent most of last year, our "introductory B1G year" with Raymond saying how we'd have to change the way we do things with our DB's because the B1G refs were "much more happy to throw DPI flags" if hand checking was going on.

Then we spend the whole year playing softer coverage and not realizing for a while that they really WEREN'T that much stricter than Big 12 refs.

And now this year they're all over the DB's nuts for trying to play physical with the receivers. Seems like the status quo changes a lot with these guys. Just can't win with these refs...? :dunno:confucius

Now that it's on film, our guys will probably be called for PI more and more. Most of those in the Michigan State, and even Michigan game were very ticky-tacky, but it doesn't matter. They'll be gunning for our secondary now.

The issues that I saw are an easy fix. Andrew Green not keeping contain on a few plays that let Bell get to the outside. Things of that nature.

Lets not pretend that Michigan State isn't talented on both sides of the ball guys and well coached. They were also playing their nineth game of the year as well and their staff seemed to have a very well put together gameplan for us and we didn't execute ours on defense as well as we should have. One game in which we didn't play our best doesnt define our capabilities. We found a way to win a game in a tough place to play against a team that played for a Big Ten Championship last year and was coming off a momentum building win against Wisconsin.

I haven't re-watched the game and was drunk the first time around (seems to make our games easier to watch) so I don't have an opinion on breakdowns. Thanks for the analysis. MSU's rushing yards made me concerned considering we may have to face Wiscy in the CCG.

NU has a very average defense. We made MSU look like one of the best offenses in the Big Ten and they are terrible. We still do not consistently stop the run. The fortunate bounces we have been getting the last three games is sooner or later going to end.

no no and no. Every team has a breakdown or two or 5 a game to give up a big play. Yes, even our vaunted 94-97 defenses had this happen against far less complex offenses. Our defense may be average, but their overall performance yesterday is not even close to evidence needed to support it.