The stars returning for 2006?

I'm thinking that the following changes in the starting roster make for us probably winning the North next year:

1. Returning All-American TE in Herian.

2. Returning starting LB in Octavian

3. Returning DE in Moore

4. Returning frosh tackles with experience ( incl Bowl)

5. Lucky/Glenn/Todd with #4

6. Returning DT/DE with no injury in Suh

7. Returning tall WR with no injury in Brooks

This year we had 29 true frosh, redshirt frosh and sophomores contributing on the field. This includes a bunch of 18 year olds out of high school. Add a year and a bowl game and you get- The North!!!

If NU has luck with the injuries and they continue to build on the end of this year, we will be better. I am still weary about Herian, though.

Without trying be too much of "oh wait till next year OMG!!"....

Who do we lose is an important question as well. Among the contributors on offense, we lose Ross, Koch, Seppo(?), and LeFlore. I am not counting Fumatu Thomas now because he will probably be back on a hardship.

On the Oline, we have a few young guys that got quite a bit of playing time this year. Murtha, Patrick, Slauson, etc. Christensen should be back from a shoulder injury in the spring. Maybe the Picou's show up also. Barring injury, things look decent at OL.

To replace Ross, well, it's hard to replace a guy like him. Experienced, focused, a definite warrior. We have a stable of young backs will fight it out in the spring. If Kenny Wilson ends up here, he could have an impact in the backfield as well. The biggest thing with the backs is blocking and picking up the blitz. Ross was pretty good at this, although he'd miss the occasional blitz. He probably did suprise a few LB's when they would try to just run over him.

Among the contributors on defense, we lose Titus, LeKevin and Wali on the line; Bullocks and Tiedke in the defensive backfield.

On the line, I would expect Ola and Cryer to step up. Throw Suh in there as well. Carriker might be back, might not. He hasn't said, that I've heard, either way at this point. I have read that a lot of NFL scouts really like him and rightly so. The guy's a beast.

Technically Barry Turner seems to be listed at DL, could he challenge for DE? Potter and Tomerlin are likely to IMO.

Anyway, at a glance that's what I see. GBR!

1. Yes, just having him on the field will be a boost, hopefully he can be at least close to where he was before the injury.

2. I am really looking forward to seeing what Steve-O can do over the course of an entire year.

3. What about Carriker? Is there reason to believe he won't be back as well, if they are both back, the DE position will be very, very good.

4. The O-line should be much better, if it is, the running game should be accordingly.

5. Add in a healthy B-Jax and hopefully Kenny Wilson as well.

6. Replacing Adams and Smith will be hard, but we have some very good young talent and should have others coming in (Brandon Johnson)

7. WR is the one position that I think could use some more talent, although what we do have is solid, no absolute gamebreakers, but some very solid talent. Swift, Hardy, Nunn, Mulkey, Peterson, Brooks, and now Holt and probably Spain, should be better than this year.

Overall, I think there is reason to believe next season the offense should click much better, there are still some uncertainties on the O-line and at WR but it should come together. On defense it looks like Saftey is the only real area of uncertainty, other than that, every position should be as deep as it has in years.

There is plenty to look forward to :) GO BIG RED

Zac Taylor will have more experience with a bowl game and another year of practice. He should feel very comfortable and become a true leader.

Losing Ross is tough. Hopefully Lucky can turn into the star that all the hype has pointed to.

From what I have read Herian is still hampered by the leg injury. I'm not counting on him. It would be great if he can go.

The O line should be improved. This will help Taylor and Lucky. It will help sustain drives and let the defense rest aswell.

Its hard to believe that another season is almost over. Here is to a bowl victory to help carry the momentum into next year. :cheers

Everything posted looks great. Just the title of the thread sends my aspirations of a dominating program through the roof.

Zac played his best game against CU. I mean he looked like he had been "doing it" as long as Favre had been "doing it" for the Packers (sorry Beck) ;)

This team is stoked! They are on a new high. Roll with this momentum through the bowl game, return some star players to the line-up next year, and anything is possible in Husker Nation! :thumbs

GBR!

You don't usually apply for a medical at the end of a given year. You usually wait until the end of your career, then apply.

That, and I am pretty sure he was in over 20% of the games this year. Sucks.

Yes it does. Stewart would have given experience and depth. The cupboards aren't bare though. That's for sure.

I am probably wrong, like most of the time, but I think Bradley is only a Junior anyways...

He wasn't introduced on Senior Day !!!.....even if he was hurt, he would have been introduced.

Bradley, Octavian, McCeon, and Ruud...... Dillard-Moore(DE?).... we should be okay at the LB spot..

Guys coming back:

Lord, it looks pretty good!

OL

Mann, Slauson, Murtha, Patrick, Austin, Thomas(on hardship), Christiansen gets to show what he can do, Roark and the Picous step into the mix as well

QB

Taylor, Beck can hopefully get some good experience next season

RB

Lucky and Glenn, BJax

WR

Swift! Peterson, Hardy, Nunn, Fluellen, Brooks

TE

hopefully Herian, Phillips, Sievers, Mueller, Tomerlin, who knows if McNeil or David Harvey will have an impact

DE

Carriker and Moore. Barry Turner. Did Wali Muhammad put in for a hardship since he sat the 2003 season due to injury? If so he comes back and provides a boost.

DT

Dagundaro, Cryer, Suh. Losing Smith and Adams will sting a bit, but the DT rotation was pretty good and got the back ups a good amount of reps.

LB

How sweet it is! Octavien, Bradley, Ruud, McKeon, Dillard, Covey, Brandenburgh

S

Shanle is the only one here who has game experience, maybe Leon Jackson can step up and fill the spot.

CB

Bowman, Grixby and Green

Specials

Congdon!

Too bad we have to get someone to replace Koch(what a stud he has been!)

Breaking it down like this, the team will not look a lot different next year than this with the exception of safety and the DT's that were back ups this season will be the starters next year(not entirely bad because Ola is a stud and Suh most likely will be). The team looks pretty good now, not counting what recruits can come in and play right away.