Penn State 1st Quarter Defense

beanman

Taylor's been looking Reed's way often, he just hasn't been getting open and making the catch, or the throws have been just a little bit off.

I'd love to see PA on the first play. Send Q, Bell, Reed, and Turner deep on 4 deep seems. Let's burn em.

I vote for us to line up in the I-Formation and run the toss iso play. Set the tone early for a physical game. We need to do this every single game.

So Penn State has given up 3 points all year in the first quarter unless I'm mistaken and we've been getting off to slow starts. Do we buck the trend this weekend and jump on them early?

Tough D in the 1st quarter? Meh--who cares. We do all our scoring in the 4th quarter. And this year State Penn has given up 55 points in the 4th quarter. THEY should be the ones who are worried. :lol:

So Penn State has given up 3 points all year in the first quarter unless I'm mistaken and we've been getting off to slow starts. Do we buck the trend this weekend and jump on them early?

Tough D in the 1st quarter? Meh--who cares. We do all our scoring in the 4th quarter. And this year State Penn has given up 55 points in the 4th quarter. THEY should be the ones who are worried. :lol:

Ooooh oooh oooh! I like that stat!

Kyler isn't very fast. Hodges is a converted Safety, who plays LB very well, and he is fast enough to cover Kyler. Mauti, is fast enough as well. I have a feeling we will play Cotton much more for blocking, and enforce our running game.

What? Reed runs a 4.54 40 and was a WR in Highschool. He's one of the faster TE's in college football and is the reason he's such a matchup issue for defenses. Mauti is a good second slower (4.64) than Reed and Hodges is even slower (4.75).

Exactly, Kyler Reed is EXTREMELY FAST for a TE, and way faster than every LB we have/will see all year in the slow B1G.

They're gonna be gunning for Taylor Martinez.

If I'm Beck, I don't run a single zone read keeper for Martinez in the first quarter. Maybe most of the second. Abdullah is the featured back and Martinez spreads it around to his receivers in play-action passes, including more of Abdullah out of the backfield.

Counters and pitch-outs to both sides.

And only after they've been shifting left and right and biting on the play-actions for a couple quarters do you let Martinez call his own run.