WR Prospects

chuckd

Are we targeting (or at least on the radar) of any good WR recruits?

I know we have Holt committed and Spain will be coming as well, but I was wondering if there were any others.

I was really hoping for Ausburry, but it is tough to pull some of those so-cal boys away from the beach.

Anyway, just wondering if there was any action at the WR position.

Are we targeting (or at least on the radar) of any good WR recruits?

I know we have Holt committed and Spain will be coming as well, but I was wondering if there were any others.

I was really hoping for Ausburry, but it is tough to pull some of those so-cal boys away from the beach.

Anyway, just wondering if there was any action at the WR position.

Only a handful of guys NU is in on and those guys seem to be looking elsewhere at the moment.

hello, the rumor that is buzzing around is that jeremy maclin, who is a ou soft verbal is considering an UN visit:

he is a *** wr, 6, 175, 4.5 teammate of UN verbal mcneil, & he along w/ mcneil were visitors of cu for the 3-30 cu's senior day defeat given to them by UN

'05 stats (9 games): 25 receptions for 670 yrds, - played other positions then wr, & '04 stats (12 games): 58 receptions for 1,184 yrds, & 18 tds

plus, ou has verbals from wr's **** caleb, & *** turner (& maclin), & '04 ou signed wr's ***** kelly, **** johnson, **** huggin, & ** iglesius (talk about loaded w/ youth at the wr position)

p.s. UN is only losing 1 wr (m leflore) - & may be garnering holt, spain, & eloi for next yr, along w/ a healthier brooks (I love the look of holt 6'4", spain 6'3", & brooks 6'4" snagging ball next yr - along w/ hardy, mulkey, petersen, swift, fluellen, nunn = I think UN is set at wr next yr)

2nd p.s. ** wr travius thompson (may not qualify) may visit w/ *** bynes (who may be recruited as an athlete for qb or wr) around 12/16

p.s. UN is only losing 1 wr (m leflore) - & may be garnering holt, spain, & eloi for next yr, along w/ a healthier brooks (I love the look of holt 6'4", spain 6'3", & brooks 6'4" snagging ball next yr - along w/ hardy, mulkey, petersen, swift, fluellen, nunn = I think UN is set at wr next yr)

Eloi has some major work to do in order to get his grades worked out. I am not that confident he will be joining the team for spring practice. Right now, it's a wait and see approach with him.

Regardless we need 2 more WR's. We saw how fast Frantz Hardy went from a contributor to a semi contributor, and Chris Brooks not having any experience lifting weight which has derailed his progerss. We can't rely on guys here for next year without having a backup plan.

Well Spain i believe should be ready to come in here this spring from what i had heard, he had supposedly had all the paperwork to be in this fall, but when he sent it in to the NCAA clearinghouse for transfers and something didnt pan out, and coaches were confident everyone was gonna work out for the fall. I would expect spain to be here in the spring if his intentions are still with nebraska, and i dont see any reason why they wouldnt be.

Now im curious if Nebraska will end up offering Russell, the kid from Lincoln, if they dont get any of the bigger time guys they are goin for. "6-foot-5 and 190 pounds with a 4.5 to 4.6 40-yard dash" according to scout.com. But he had only played 1 year of football prior to this year, so i am more concerned he would be a chris brooks'esque project because he lacks in the weight room. But think about that, he could develop some strength and speed and be a consistent 4.5(maybe 4.4, although as he increases in girth i dont know if he will be shaving time off his 40) guy at 6'5",220... and has some ups, he could wind up a good ball player.

Is Tyrell Spain ever going to join the team? Also, I see Broderick Hunter and Wallace Franklin are back on the radar. Anyone know the stories on these three?

Hunter and Franklin aren't a consideration at this point. They will be for the 2007 class, but not for the 2006 class at the moment.

I wouldn't expect Russel to get an offer. But that's just me. If Eloi makes it as does Spain, NU should be ok for next year at least before we replinsh the WR corps

Is Tyrell Spain ever going to join the team? Also, I see Broderick Hunter and Wallace Franklin are back on the radar. Anyone know the stories on these three?

Hunter and Franklin aren't a consideration at this point. They will be for the 2007 class, but not for the 2006 class at the moment.

I wouldn't expect Russel to get an offer. But that's just me. If Eloi makes it as does Spain, NU should be ok for next year at least before we replinsh the WR corps

As we know it, what is the major downfall with Russell???? It seems he has potential, why not take a shot at him??

As we know it, what is the major downfall with Russell???? It seems he has potential, why not take a shot at him??

scholarships. We just don't have enough to "take a risk". Heck, we will probably turn down 3 or 4 guys with 4 star ratings this class because we don't have enough scholarships to give out.

a four star prospect seems kinda high to turn down. would a two or maybe even three be more realistic?

The guys i was talking about were Clayborn and Jerry Brown (forgot Jerry was only a 3 star not 4 star) so i guess a 3 star and 4 star. Just depends on how comfortable the coaches are with the depth we have at DB and OL. Both those guys are candidates for DE and like i mentioned in another thread, DE is pretty loaded now that our top 2 DE's are coming back. Clayborn could play LB but that's also pretty loaded. Why waste a scholarship like that.

We need a good 6"3-4 WR that can get up and jump for the ball

Kinda why i was thinking russell may be a good project. But i think the lack of scholarships may be the the problem, no room for "projects". And i doubt he will be willing to greyshirt or walk-on. I think Ausberry was the guy i wanted to get the most this year....oh well, get a great o-line, great QB and great running game and it will make the recievers look a lot better.

hello, derrick russell did not play his 1st 2 yrs of hs football, he had attitude troubles at his previous school (o central), he has played only one yr of organized hs football (his jr yr), & tore his acl his sr yr, so it is hard to judge this kids ability or willingness to play based on what he has done in hs

I would much rather see UN give a schollie to anthony parks, wr butler cc, (possible ok st lean), or a gs to tyler bullock (schollies to csu & ksu), since both have proven themselves as possession wr, which is more than anyone can say about derrick russell

p.s. russell like bullocks have schollies to ksu (which is their lean), but that may change quickly when a new coach comes to town