Martinez running tougher

lo country

Not really much proof, but IMO it seems that Martinez is really running tougher this year. Not faster, but lowering his shoulder, running through some tackles and actually not going down at first contact. One play in particular against PSU when he was running for the first and met the marker and the PSU LB, Martinez lowered his shoulder and got the first.

I know he has improved his passing and managerial skills, but his running has really impressed me. Becoming more of a "dual" threat as a runner and not just a really fast guy.

• Fire 1

Not really much proof, but IMO it seems that Martinez is really running tougher this year. Not faster, but lowering his shoulder, running through some tackles and actually not going down at first contact. One play in particular against PSU when he was running for the first and met the marker and the PSU LB, Martinez lowered his shoulder and got the first.

I know he has improved his passing and managerial skills, but his running has really impressed me. Becoming more of a "dual" threat as a runner and not just a really fast guy.

Agreed. Trying to spin out of defenders and not just sliding all the time.

I think he has always ran tough, with the exception of last year. In a way, this isn't smart for him to do, but Taylor isn't going to stop when he knows he can bulldoze for a couple extra lol. He is extremely important to us, and losing him would not be good. I would love to see RKIII some more, but we are never up enough for us to trust that he is a very good backup. I believe he would fine, but who honestly knows.

Taylor is almost that "True" dual threat QB. I imagine that he will focus on his mechanics this summer, and we will all be even more impressed next year.

Yes he has. Getting out of trouble better and making some nice cuts also. I am sure his ankle being %100 has something to do with it.

I would agree he is a better decision maker than the previous years. I wouldn't say his ankle is 100% yet. You can tell when he goes for a long sprint it gets the best of him and he slows down. Just my take though lol

The biggest thing I have noticed, is he is 1000x's better under pressure than he has ever been.

This team will go as TM goes. If he has 4 quarters of error free, good decision ball this team is close to unstoppable. When he struggles we struggle. I love his toughness this year which I'm sure is attributed to being more injury free. He is turning into a true QB instead of an athlete playing Qb. This summer I'd like to see him learn how to look off Db's and working on his progressions. Yesterday I saw him throw several times to receivers who were covered when there were open guys down the field. One in particular was a throw to Jamal Turner at the left sideline. He was well covered but on the replay I saw what looked to be a tight end or receiver all alone in the middle of the field about 15 yards down.

Yes he has. Getting out of trouble better and making some nice cuts also. I am sure his ankle being %100 has something to do with it.

I would agree he is a better decision maker than the previous years. I wouldn't say his ankle is 100% yet. You can tell when he goes for a long sprint it gets the best of him and he slows down. Just my take though lol

The biggest thing I have noticed, is he is 1000x's better under pressure than he has ever been.

Yoiu are right.

Yesterday he came out of a couple of piles limping. His ankle is still sore from the Michigan game.

The play the OP mentioned with him putting his shoulder down was the first time I have ever seen him do this. Hope he keeps it up. Maybe he has seen the pump up video before the game enough now. (the one with Crouch bowling over an opponent)

One other thing I noticed and had NEVER seen before was, when we were switching ends of the field after the 3rd quarter. Taylor was just steps in front of the huge group of players walking towards the north end zone, and he took off his helmet and started raising and lowering his arms at the crowd to get them pumped up. He was pumped and so were we.

Taylor is unbelievable, as he can do some of the dumbest f'ing things and turn around and do some of the most amazing things. He can make your chest hurt, and then fill it with excitment in a matter of minutes. Taylor is AWESOME!!!

This team will go as TM goes. If he has 4 quarters of error free, good decision ball this team is close to unstoppable. When he struggles we struggle. I love his toughness this year which I'm sure is attributed to being more injury free. He is turning into a true QB instead of an athlete playing Qb. This summer I'd like to see him learn how to look off Db's and working on his progressions. Yesterday I saw him throw several times to receivers who were covered when there were open guys down the field. One in particular was a throw to Jamal Turner at the left sideline. He was well covered but on the replay I saw what looked to be a tight end or receiver all alone in the middle of the field about 15 yards down.

And when you are running for your life or just standing there with 1-4, 6'4'-6'-8" 290lb+ guys bearing down on your ass, with ill intentions in their minds, it's easy to miss "that" guy. :dunno

And when you are running for your life or just standing there with 1-4, 6'4'-6'-8" 290lb+ guys bearing down on your ass, with ill intentions in their minds, it's easy to miss "that" guy. :dunno

If it was easy I could do it. Part of his growth as a Qb will be when he has command of the field. He isn't there yet though he has improved tremendously. The faster he can see the field in his mind and read the defenses, the more success we will have. Getting rid of the ball, making a good pass to an open receiver even 1/2 sec sooner will create less pressure on him. Things like getting outside the tackle boxes and ditching the ball instead of eating it for a 10 yard loss will sustain drives better. Arm pumps to deceive the Db's. Better accuracy while rolling out to throw. Lots of little things the better Qbs do to be more effective.

Running tougher, lowering the shoulder instead of pulling up and getting walloped...and also running with assertiveness and vision. Picking his way through traffic, dodging defenders and finding his lanes. I've been critical of Taylor in the past for being too one-dimensional of a runner. He's making me eat my words.

We continue being able to unleash Taylor in the ground game as we are doing now -- we will give every team we play fits.