Where's Braylon Heard?

I am I

Speaking of power backs, anyone know why Marrow hasn't been used more? I've only seen him carry the ball once on a goal line dive that he didn't score on. Janovich seems to have taken primary FB blocking duties.

Marrow has been fighting a knee injury and Janovich has been playing some good ball with his blocking skills.

They had specific packages worked out with both Cross and Heard. The Cross plays worked well enough, the Heard plays looked sloppy, although he didn't actually end up with the ball in them. Heard also came in the only time Ameer asked to go out (after his 33-yard run in the first) and got two nice runs.

It's a tough situation. Heard has a ton of potential but the coaches seem to trust Ameer with the football. It's too bad they're both the same year. Hopefully we work in more and more 2-3 HB sets in as the coaches gain confidence in Heard.

Speaking of power backs, anyone know why Marrow hasn't been used more? I've only seen him carry the ball once on a goal line dive that he didn't score on. Janovich seems to have taken primary FB blocking duties.

Mike Marrow has been injured and he hasn't been effective in the few carries he has seen in short yardage situations anyways. I think I-formation with Cross is a more likely scenario going forward as we began to see against PSU.

Part of it might play into the no huddle offense. It also comes down to the fact that last season Ameer emerged as "the guy" behind Rex and that's who they go with. There's a lot of factors that play in but, bottom line the butcher has had four straight 100 yard rushing games. He's proven he can handle it.

It doesn't have to be Braylon if he's still nursing an injury, but 31 carries for one back at this point in the season seems steep. Ameer shouldn't have to win the game by himself with our glut of talent. We still have a championship to win. I understand the rationale for the Penn State game. That one went down to the wire, you want your best player playing. But going forward--particularly the next two weeks--I hope they keep him fresh and ready, and I hope our receivers can take some of the load, too. No game is a gimme with this team, but if there is a point left on our schedule for preparing backups, this will be it.

Hopefully Beck empties his pockets at the B1G Championship. With Ameer and Heard on the field at the same time, we can run most of what we're running now, but Heard has the ability to break a 70 yard TD if the defense loses him for a play.

Also, it would be great to start working in those formations in the next four games so that we can be more comfortable with them going into next season. It would be a shame not to get both backs over 100 carries next season.

Hopefully Beck empties his pockets at the B1G Championship. With Ameer and Heard on the field at the same time, we can run most of what we're running now, but Heard has the ability to break a 70 yard TD if the defense loses him for a play.

Also, it would be great to start working in those formations in the next four games so that we can be more comfortable with them going into next season. It would be a shame not to get both backs over 100 carries next season.

Or throw Cross in there as well and run various plays out of the diamond formation all game long. It seems like big plays come from the diamond all the time, which is why that formation has become a fan favorite despite how scarcely it is used.

IMO, we could run diamond every play all game long and have it be our base package. There are just so many options for the defense to cover, it's nearly unstoppable.

Or throw Cross in there as well and run various plays out of the diamond formation all game long. It seems like big plays come from the diamond all the time, which is why that formation has become a fan favorite despite how scarcely it is used.

IMO, we could run diamond every play all game long and have it be our base package. There are just so many options for the defense to cover, it's nearly unstoppable.

I like it, too. So many options to run the football (including the option). Speed everywhere.

You guys know for fact that if we were to start playing Braylon more, that the same folks will complain about Ameer not getting his normal carries, right?

If by Ameer not getting his carries you mean he goes from 31 to 20-25 and we're still winning ballgames, these hypothetical people will have no case, and won't matter.

• Fire 1