In loss, Penn State earns Nebraska's respect

knapplc

The McCloskey call in 1982 cost us a chance at a National Championship. This was not in any way, shape or form equivalent.

Even if they score the TD, we had momentum in the half and I have little doubt we could have outscored them in the final 9 minutes of the game that remained after the TD/Fumble. Giving them that TD wouldn't have given them the game.

From every photo and video I've seen, to me, that clearly looked like a touchdown. Remove your bias. That's two weeks in a row that I have seen the other team get screwed by the refs in the late game...but it happens. We've been on the other side of this coin before. It's part of the game.

Also, I agree that this would have no where near sealed the game. The PI last weekend on the other hand...

1. It's easy to be classy when you win (except of you're Alabama, apparently) 2. I'm sure PSU recognized it wasn't NU's fault that the refs blew that TERRIBLE call.
Where is your proof it was terrible? The review came back, just as it should have, not enough to confirm or overturn. We are also known to be very classy when we lose as well. ASK Northwestern last year.

I apologize if I came across as if I was insinuating Nebraska would not have been classy in a loss as well. That was poorly worded.

The McCloskey call in 1982 cost us a chance at a National Championship. This was not in any way, shape or form equivalent.

Even if they score the TD, we had momentum in the half and I have little doubt we could have outscored them in the final 9 minutes of the game that remained after the TD/Fumble. Giving them that TD wouldn't have given them the game.

I think it's interesting that McGloin was the only PSU player to throw out the conspiracy card. The PSU players in the trenches commented that the loss of the TD wasn't really the determining factor of the game. We seemed to be able to run on them at will in the 4th.

After seeing every picture, still frame, and slow mo replay, it's easy for us to see if the call was wrong or not. The ref had to make an instant decision on a bang-bang play. The replay official doesn't get to see the same pictures and replays that we get to, and he obviously has to have indisputable video evidence to overturn the call. He didn't think there was. Was the call wrong? Probably. But it was far from a TERRIBLE call.

1. It's easy to be classy when you win (except of you're Alabama, apparently) 2. I'm sure PSU recognized it wasn't NU's fault that the refs blew that TERRIBLE call.
Where is your proof it was terrible? The review came back, just as it should have, not enough to confirm or overturn. We are also known to be very classy when we lose as well. ASK Northwestern last year.

I apologize if I came across as if I was insinuating Nebraska would not have been classy in a loss as well. That was poorly worded.

:thumbs No problem, I am not one who words things right sometimes too lol.

From every photo and video I've seen, to me, that clearly looked like a touchdown. Remove your bias. That's two weeks in a row that I have seen the other team get screwed by the refs in the late game...but it happens. We've been on the other side of this coin before. It's part of the game.

Also, I agree that this would have no where near sealed the game. The PI last weekend on the other hand...

Who is being bias? If your talking about me, your clearly not reading right, nor reading everything being said. I never stated it was a fumble, nor a TD. It could have gone EITHER way, and my statement is a FACT, because the call was not confirmed nor overturned. Get off your high horse, because that PI call was CLEAR. Dennard's arm was preventing Bells from coming down to catch the ball. Would it have been called with another official? Probably not, but it was, indeed a PI. They were heavy on PI calls that game. You could also say that we almost got the game taken away from us when we stopped them on 3rd, but due to a false Personal Foul call, they got 1st down, and got 7 instead of 3. Two teams in a row being screwed by refs, thats a joke all in itself. If that fumble by PSU was never slowed down, no one would even be debating this, as in real life speed, it clearly looked like a fumble, hence why the ref called it that way. Someone who had a better view than any one of us at that time.

bangbang.gif

Thats the first look I've had from a goal camera and obviously the ball breaks the plane. But it also looks to me (just a little bit) like maybe the ball is already a bit loose in his hands. Hard for me to tell. I think probably it is a touchdown, but I don't think there is any way you can say definitively one way or the other. Tough call, absolutely. Horrble call, no way.

Combine that .gif with the first pic in the OWH gallery I linked to earlier, and you can clearly see the ball was in his possession the instant he crossed the goal line. In the .gif, when the frame freezes, he has not yet been hit by Santos. In the still image on OWH, before he's hit by Santos you can clearly see he breaks the plane with the ball in one hand.

Those are still-frame shots, but I have to say that if the B1G doesn't have replay abilities that can show this stuff with this clarity in real time, then they should shelve their whole replay system and not use it.

Who is being bias? If your talking about me, your clearly not reading right, nor reading everything being said. I never stated it was a fumble, nor a TD. It could have gone EITHER way, and my statement is a FACT, because the call was not confirmed nor overturned. Get off your high horse, because that PI call was CLEAR. Dennard's arm was preventing Bells from coming down to catch the ball. Would it have been called with another official? Probably not, but it was, indeed a PI. They were heavy on PI calls that game. You could also say that we almost got the game taken away from us when we stopped them on 3rd, but due to a false Personal Foul call, they got 1st down, and got 7 instead of 3. Two teams in a row being screwed by refs, thats a joke all in itself. If that fumble by PSU was never slowed down, no one would even be debating this, as in real life speed, it clearly looked like a fumble, hence why the ref called it that way. Someone who had a better view than any one of us at that time.

Agree with you on the fumble call, but not the PI call. Bell's left arm may have been under Dennard's arm, but that was just incindental contact. Dennard is in perfect position and he has as much right to the ball as the receiver. But that call was no more or less wrong than several that at already taken place, it's just that coming at that critical juncture of the game it seemingly takes on more importance. But it was so poorly officitated that I would suspect the bad calls pretty much evened out.

But I don't think the goal line call was a bad call. He made a judgement one way. And whichever way he had ruled, it was going to be questioned. Just that close and that tough a call.

Combine that .gif with the first pic in the OWH gallery I linked to earlier, and you can clearly see the ball was in his possession the instant he crossed the goal line. In the .gif, when the frame freezes, he has not yet been hit by Santos. In the still image on OWH, before he's hit by Santos you can clearly see he breaks the plane with the ball in one hand. Those are still-frame shots, but I have to say that if the B1G doesn't have replay abilities that can show this stuff with this clarity in real time, then they should shelve their whole replay system and not use it.

If the officials don't have access to the same cameras that the media has access to, then the system is bunk and needs to be redone or shelved. Do it right or don't do it.

Combine that .gif with the first pic in the OWH gallery I linked to earlier, and you can clearly see the ball was in his possession the instant he crossed the goal line. In the .gif, when the frame freezes, he has not yet been hit by Santos. In the still image on OWH, before he's hit by Santos you can clearly see he breaks the plane with the ball in one hand.

Those are still-frame shots, but I have to say that if the B1G doesn't have replay abilities that can show this stuff with this clarity in real time, then they should shelve their whole replay system and not use it.

My junk computer here at work won't open links so I'll have to look at home. But if the still shot shows the ball solid in both hands, combined with the goal line shot I would probably then have to agree with you. But I think that is what makes it not a terrible call. If it was so close that you have to combine mutliple images to reach a decision it was obvioulsy just such a close one, that even though it may eventually show to have been incorrect, it's certainly understandable how he called it that way.

The NFL has had problems with this in the past as well, until there are cameras mounted exactly on the goal line on both sides of the field that give a true view of the plane, there will be a margin of error due to the angle of the camera to the field. I know not all stadiums are the same, but what would it take to mount 4 cameras at the goal lines that would help in these instances? Money, blocking the view of some fans?

Whether or not the ball crossed the plane is not the issue here. It's obvious before the apparent "loss of control" that the ball had crossed that plane, regardless of camera angle. The question is whether or not possession is being lost and if it was being lost before the crossing of the plane. It's so close and tough to tell and really depends on who you are.