In loss, Penn State earns Nebraska's respect

knapplc

Agree with you on the fumble call, but not the PI call. Bell's left arm may have been under Dennard's arm, but that was just incindental contact. Dennard is in perfect position and he has as much right to the ball as the receiver. But that call was no more or less wrong than several that at already taken place, it's just that coming at that critical juncture of the game it seemingly takes on more importance. But it was so poorly officitated that I would suspect the bad calls pretty much evened out.

So, it's ok to call ticky tack PI calls all game until the last 2 minutes?

One hand = possession. How many times have you seen a player score while reaching out with the ball in only one hand? I've seen it, oh, a good 200 times (conservative estimate). This was a TD, but when it happened, live, it was bang-bang, and the ruling on the field was a fumble. I can see why they made that call, and I can see why the replay didn't overturn it. I just disagree with it.

There's a stop-frame shot .gif floating around the interwebz from the TV feed showing the ball crossing the plane - albeit at an angle - in possession of the PSU player. That's a TD, period, end of story.

I agree, I think it was a touchdown as well. But it was ruled a fumble, so you need clear evidence to over turn it. There was not clear, 100% evidence to say that it was a touchdown by watching the replay. The refs made the right call on the review given the situation.

It was a touchdown. The World Herald got a great pic of it. LINK

Make that a TD, the score is PSU 30, NU 27. There are just under nine minutes to go in the game. I like our chances to win at that point, whether they're ahead or not.

Good find, unfortunately clearly TD. However after call stands, our Cardiac gang becomes an ultra-conservative plays to the end (for some reason).

Me too, if call was overturned then I like our chances to win. 75% chance or more.

bangbang.gif

The more I see this the less I think it is a touchdown.

From the freeze frame on that it looks like the ball has already hit Santos's knee and out of the player's control.

Since the moment I saw it on dvr later that night after getting home, when they showed the view from the endzone, you can see he is either switching hands or trying to get his left hand on the ball, but almost doing it by "tossing" it into his left hand, which may have been interpreted as losing control. Too close to change regardless.

I have a hard time admitting it was a TD. Afterall, we're the only ones that ever get screwed, eh?

1. It's easy to be classy when you win (except of you're Alabama, apparently)

2. I'm sure PSU recognized it wasn't NU's fault that the refs blew that TERRIBLE call.

come up to a game in Lincoln and see a loss first hand. Ask PAt Fitzgerald at NW about the standing o his team got after upsetting us at home last year...this stuff happens all the time.

IN THE fall of 1980, when SI senior writer Lars Anderson was nine years old and living in Lincoln, his father took him to the Florida State--Nebraska game. With less than a minute left in the fourth quarter, the highly favored Cornhuskers had the ball on the Seminoles' three-yard line, trailing 18--14. That's when heartbreak visited Nebraska: Quarterback Jeff Quinn fumbled. Florida State recovered. Game over. Then, as Seminoles coach Bobby Bowden and his team walked off the field, the crowd rose to its feet in appreciation of the underdogs' hard-fought victory. At first it was just polite clapping, the kind you hear at a golf tournament, but then fans started cheering for Bowden and his players, building to one of the loudest roars of the day. Tears of disappointment ran down Lars's cheeks as his father put his arm around him, pointed to the red-clad fans in full throat and said, "Lars, this is as good as sports gets."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1192474/index.htm

bangbang.gif

The more I see this the less I think it is a touchdown.

From the freeze frame on that it looks like the ball has already hit Santos's knee and out of the player's control.

Since the moment I saw it on dvr later that night after getting home, when they showed the view from the endzone, you can see he is either switching hands or trying to get his left hand on the ball, but almost doing it by "tossing" it into his left hand, which may have been interpreted as losing control. Too close to change regardless.

I have a hard time admitting it was a TD. Afterall, we're the only ones that ever get screwed, eh?

After the first time I saw the replay, when I watched it the day after the game it looked good to me. But finally seeing the video stopped then put into motion makes me think otherwise.

I don't think Nebraska is the only team that gets screwed, but the more I see this the less I think you could overturn it. The more I see that the more I think you go with the call on the field.

Agree with you on the fumble call, but not the PI call. Bell's left arm may have been under Dennard's arm, but that was just incindental contact. Dennard is in perfect position and he has as much right to the ball as the receiver. But that call was no more or less wrong than several that at already taken place, it's just that coming at that critical juncture of the game it seemingly takes on more importance. But it was so poorly officitated that I would suspect the bad calls pretty much evened out.

So, it's ok to call ticky tack PI calls all game until the last 2 minutes?

How do you get that out of what I said? I said there were bad or questionable calls all game long, it's just that when it happens at that point in the game it is going to be the one that is remembered, doesn't make it any better or worse than any of the previous ones, just one more likely to be highlighted. Thats why I said "seemingly", it's perceived as a bigger call due to when it happened.

I get the humor in this tshirt, but I'd hope Husker fans don't fall for this cheap marketing ploy. That call in 1982 cost us a shot at a national championship. This call cost Penn State... nothing. This isn't even remotely in the same ballpark.

Probably as close as we'll get. We may go to our graves waiting for the stars to align for both teams to be in perfect position for Nebraska to cost them a National Championship.