The status of Nebrasketball under Miles

I posted this in the Valpo game thread, but I spent so much time on it.. I wanted to actually get a discussion going.

After 2 games, the Huskers are 2-0 and averaging 59 points a game. What are your early thoughts(yes, far to early to judge....) Mine are below:

Was at the game last night and noticed a few things.

Ubel has some strength and moves offensively.. nice touch on his ball and a good sense of where the hoop is. That being said, he was god awful on defense. He got beat on the pick/roll all night and while some of that is on the help defense, when he plays the 5... we STRUGGLE!

Almeida- Slow.. sluggish.. no touch on his shot--that being said, he takes up space and dominates people down low-- I think the touch will come and so will his lungs as the season moves on. He needs reps and by the end of the season, i could see him playing 27-30 minutes a game and make a difference

Gallegos- The kid shot well.. He wont be like Bo Spencer where he can shoot in peoples face, but if he has space and with the flubber in his shoes, he can give us 10-12 points a night.

Talley- Was quiet offensivley, but is clearly one of the leaders of this team.

Rivers-- I dont think he is a D1 guy... He is lanky, but gets pushed around and doesnt seem to have much/if any touch on his shots.

Parker- He is quick--looks lost at times, but shows moments where he will be like a Cookie Miller-- he will be a good player with his quickness.

Vucetic- He looks smaller than expected.... not sure if I have high hopes on this kid to do much this season.

Coach Miles lets these boys play and that is where you see the old Doc offense. Right now our offense doesnt have any playmakers... it has a guy who can sit in the block and post up on people(Ubel/Almeida)

Lets be honest, this team is VERY far away from competing.

The future is bright with guys like: Biggs, Fuller, Hawkins, Webster, Petteway, Pitchford,Shields(he will play this year when healthy)

LEts be honest.. this year is a throw away year.. which sucks for guys like: Almeida, Talley, Ubel.

The fact that Menke, Peltz, Tyrance(HE WAS LOST LAST NIGHT) shows that this team is hurting.. but we got skill on its way.

This team will win 2-3 games in the B1G this year... next year, we will struggle without having a true BIG down low, but once we get that.. future is bright!

After 2 games, the Huskers are 2-0 and averaging 59 points a game. What are your early thoughts(yes, far to early to judge....) Mine are below:

This is huge. No way this team should have beat Valpo.

Almeida- Slow.. sluggish.. no touch on his shot--that being said, he takes up space and dominates people down low-- I think the touch will come and so will his lungs as the season moves on. He needs reps and by the end of the season, i could see him playing 27-30 minutes a game and make a difference

I don't think so. Even if he got into good enough shape (which I doubt) his knees would never hold up for that.

Rivers-- I dont think he is a D1 guy... He is lanky, but gets pushed around and doesnt seem to have much/if any touch on his shots.

Respectfully disagree. He's still learning the game, but given time I think he'll end up being pretty decent. The problem is he's playing in the most physical conference which will do him zero favors. Depending on the talent Miles brings in, if Rivers is seeing the floor in two years - and even end of this year/next year - he'll be a factor.

Parker- He is quick--looks lost at times, but shows moments where he will be like a Cookie Miller-- he will be a good player with his quickness.

Agree, but would add he can create a little more than Miller as he is a bigger player.

Vucetic- He looks smaller than expected.... not sure if I have high hopes on this kid to do much this season.

Terrible.

The fact that Menke, Peltz, Tyrance(HE WAS LOST LAST NIGHT) shows that this team is hurting.. but we got skill on its way.

While this is mostly true, you can't lump Peltz in with the other two. Peltz will end up being a decent player on this team. The other two... not so much.

I think we all knew this season wasn't going to be pretty. The fact they are playing similarly to what Doc had them doing is testament that there is probably only one way these kids will have success. A slower try to find a good shot offense and play as good a defense as possible. As new recruits see how this team plays there is an excuse for Miles to tell them there are chances for kids to play right away. For now I'll be happy with whatever this team can accomplish this year.

I agree Tony.

I think they have already proven that they are well coached. I like the fact that they are looking for their shots in a more aggressive manner vs last year. I like the fact that Miles lets them play and is not always burning timeouts. This is a bit different view than some folks. He is willing to let them play through a few mistakes. I don't have a problem with that. I like the fact that Miles recognized right off that the team was struggling to run his offense and that he implemented something as an intermediate step so that they would be a little more successful for this year. This gives them more time to learn the regular offense and next year they will be able to plug in players that have talents that fit the offense better. I think the players are a little bit more confident to take a shot and not worry about the consequences, although as a teaching point I think they need to burn a little more shot clock at the end of the game when we are protecting the lead.

Defensively they looked fairly solid. They don't help out as much which is fine. They play it more straight up which I think overall is sound.

I would like to see some occasional zone as a curveball. I like mixing defenses occasionally.

I thought they played hard. Coaching staff had a good game plan and the players did a great job.

The team will struggle against the B1G. It won't be pretty as we don't have enough athletes and they are inexperienced, but it looks to me like they are setting a foundation and playing hard. I think next year will be an improvement as they build on the play of this year's team.

On a another note, but just, if not more important is home attendance. Brian R. from the LJS wrote a spot-on blurb about the fans and the number that left during the Valpo game. Everyone, myself included, that reads these boards need to be at the Dec. 3 home game when T. Webster is in attendance. Or we really don't have any standing to complain about recruiting or not landing top talent. The $10 we spend that day may pay dividends for four years!

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/hoops-gutty-win-walk-ons-and-a-fan-rant/article_553cd198-3004-11e2-8344-0019bb2963f4.html

On a another note, but just, if not more important is home attendance. Brian R. from the LJS wrote a spot-on blurb about the fans and the number that left during the Valpo game. Everyone, myself included, that reads these boards need to be at the Dec. 3 home game when T. Webster is in attendance. Or we really don't have any standing to complain about recruiting or not landing top talent. The $10 we spend that day may pay dividends for four years!

http://journalstar.c...19bb2963f4.html

Good point!!!!

Although I agree with the overall sentiment of Rosenthal’s’ point about fans staying around for the finish of games, his attitude still pi$$es me off.

Every year we hear the whimpering laments of these coddled sportswriters about fan dedication.

Here is a solution for them to get a different perspective:

1) Have THEM pay for a seat license out of their own wallets.

2) Have THEM buy season tickets usually padded with pathetic non-conference teams.

3) Have THEM pay for parking and then WALK to the arena instead of parking right next to it.

4) Have THEM sit through 20- 30 minute waits after the game trying to get out of the parking area because Butch Hug can’t figure it out.

5) Have THEM pay for their own refreshments.

6) Have THEM sit in the upper enclaves for the best available seats rather than courtside.

Yes, some of our older fans leave early, but many of them have been supporters for decades and have endured some awful basketball, awful competition and awful coaching and still paid the freight. If they choose to make their walk back to the car a little early to avoid some crowds and car lines, more power to them. I have watched several seniors seated around me struggle and I know some of them are physically challenged and it pi$$es me off no end that these “entitled” sportswriters so smugly and arrogantly assume they know it all.

• Fire 1

Although I agree with the overall sentiment of Rosenthal’s’ point about fans staying around for the finish of games, his attitude still pi$$es me off.

Every year we hear the whimpering laments of these coddled sportswriters about fan dedication.

2) Have THEM buy season tickets usually padded with pathetic non-conference teams.

3) Have THEM pay for parking and then WALK to the arena instead of parking right next to it.

4) Have THEM sit through 20- 30 minute waits after the game trying to get out of the parking area because Butch Hug can’t figure it out.

6) Have THEM sit in the upper enclaves for the best available seats rather than courtside.

Yes, some of our older fans leave early, but many of them have been supporters for decades and have endured some awful basketball, awful competition and awful coaching and still paid the freight. If they choose to make their walk back to the car a little early to avoid some crowds and car lines, more power to them. I have watched several seniors seated around me struggle and I know some of them are physically challenged and it pi$$es me off no end that these “entitled” sportswriters so smugly and arrogantly assume they know it all.

I can understand what you are saying, there are some parking and logistics issues, just like there are with the football games which sellout every week including weak non-conference opponents. We continue to support them even though we have not been to a BCS game since 2002 (bastetball last made the NCAA in 1998), every other bowl game can be seen as the equal of the NIT.

We would not expect top football recruits to come here if the stadium is only 1/3 full every week with little atmosphere.

While his point may have been more eloquently stated, if we want a change in our basketball history then fans have to change also or we are not in a position to complain. The logistical issues will always be there for any sporting event. If we want more wins and recruits though, its starts with attendance and a great show of fan support on December 3rd.

I can understand what you are saying, there are some parking and logistics issues, just like there are with the football games which sellout every week including weak non-conference opponents. We continue to support them even though we have not been to a BCS game since 2002 (bastetball last made the NCAA in 1998), every other bowl game can be seen as the equal of the NIT.

We would not expect top football recruits to come here if the stadium is only 1/3 full every week with little atmosphere.

While his point may have been more eloquently stated, if we want a change in our basketball history then fans have to change also or we are not in a position to complain. The logistical issues will always be there for any sporting event. If we want more wins and recruits though, its starts with attendance and a great show of fan support on December 3rd.

You make salient points and are correct.

My rant is more directed at the writers and broadcasters who whine about this every year. Just once I'd like to see Sipple, Grindle, Rosenthal, etc. fork out their own money before they take shots at the fans.

I do agree that we need closer to a full house to help secure a true home court advantage and help woo recruits.

This is just one of those areas that rankle me every year. I now conclude this rant. :mellow:

I try to attend most games. If i am unable to make it, I always give the tickets away. If we continue to win, people will show up. The new arena smell will wear off quickly if we don't put a good product on the floor. I trust Miles will have us in a corrective direction. I will be missing the UNO game today, but two people will be in my seats and I plan on attending this week. GBR

I have been on the media side and fan side.

Being in the media makes for long days.. get there way earlier and leave after the presser... but it is much more relaxing and comfortable!

Rosenthal doesn't sit courside, he sits pretty high up. Is getting home 10 minutes quicker really worth missing the last 6 minutes of a one possession game? That makes zero sense to me. Every other point you made seems to back his rant... you paid for your tickets, you walked all the way from your parking spot, you paid for over-priced food, you've sat through crap games, why not reward yourself by watching the end of a close game - the best part of the game? I'm not attacking you personally, just throwing out hypotheticals, I understand the point you were trying to make.

Anyway, if there are students on here, I urge you to contact the university and ask them to do some promotion for students. If you are not a student, I urge you to get a ticket lined up for this game, bring some friends, and contact the university and ask them to run a promotion. The place needs to be packed. I don't think the game atmosphere is what's going to sell Webster, but I'd hate to wake up the 4th and find out he didn't sign and then wonder if it's because the atmosphere was so bad. This is the "break" the last two coaches haven't gotten, and we know how those tenures ended. Get this kid here, pack the Bob.

Rosenthal doesn't sit courside, he sits pretty high up. Is getting home 10 minutes quicker really worth missing the last 6 minutes of a one possession game? That makes zero sense to me. Every other point you made seems to back his rant... you paid for your tickets, you walked all the way from your parking spot, you paid for over-priced food, you've sat through crap games, why not reward yourself by watching the end of a close game - the best part of the game? I'm not attacking you personally, just throwing out hypotheticals, I understand the point you were trying to make.

Anyway, if there are students on here, I urge you to contact the university and ask them to do some promotion for students. If you are not a student, I urge you to get a ticket lined up for this game, bring some friends, and contact the university and ask them to run a promotion. The place needs to be packed. I don't think the game atmosphere is what's going to sell Webster, but I'd hate to wake up the 4th and find out he didn't sign and then wonder if it's because the atmosphere was so bad. This is the "break" the last two coaches haven't gotten, and we know how those tenures ended. Get this kid here, pack the Bob.

First, I don't take this as a personal attack...........no problem there.

And you are right that you probably could turn my rant into a promo for Rosenthal's point by looking at it that way.

But two things I could have maybe articulated better..........(1) I, myself DON'T leave early (especially don't understand those who do in CLOSE games), but was defending some of the seniors around me who have some physical challenges and have conveyed to me why they need the extra time. I don't think they need to be rediculed. And (2) my outburst is no doubt colored because I have heard these same complaints uttered by the media in attendance for year after year after year. Just got tired of it and it birthed a rant.

I DO wish we had a better student section and a true home court advantage and I also hope that Webster gets to see a rockin' full house.