Our Backups need more play time

Branno

I wished Brion Carnes would just come on back home to us in the South. Now, I am a big Georgian for Nebraska fan -- and want to see Nebraska's glory and its past return with quarterbacks like Turner Gill, Nate Mason, and Steve Taylor directing them to BCS bowl games, but I care about this young man -- Tommie Frazier's 2nd cousin Carnes.

It just didn't work out for Carnes at the University of Nebraska. Now, he's having to take cheap shots from the fans on this blog.

Come on home, Brion. You can enroll at nearby South Florida or Florida Atlantic. There is a school in your home state that will allow you to play the zone read option quarterback's position.

Enough bashing of Carnes. I'm tired of it.

I wished Brion Carnes would just come on back home to us in the South. Now, I am a big Georgian for Nebraska fan -- and want to see Nebraska's glory and its past return with quarterbacks like Turner Gill, Nate Mason, and Steve Taylor directing them to BCS bowl games, but I care about this young man -- Tommie Frazier's 2nd cousin Carnes.

It just didn't work out for Carnes at the University of Nebraska. Now, he's having to take cheap shots from the fans on this blog.

Come on home, Brion. You can enroll at nearby South Florida or Florida Atlantic. There is a school in your home state that will allow you to play the zone read option quarterback's position.

Wow calm down. He wasn't bagging on Carnes, he was making fun of people wanting to replace TMart with him.

Kind of how the backup QB is always the favorite player on the team.

I did look at the scores of the games. When Ohio St. was up 63-31 the only thing that Bo got lucky was that Martinez didn't get hurt. The game was over there was no way we had a chance to win. You take out Martinez so he doesn't get hurt in an unwinnable game. Michigan was also another game that Hoke gave up on and they couldn't even get a first down in the 2nd half til late in the 4th quarter. when Martinez got hurt i thought there was no reason for him to be in the game when Michigan has given up. It's going to suck when Martinez leaves after next season cause we will have a qb with no experience again starting or very limited experience. bo does need to start thinking about when Martinez is gone and start giving backups playtime when the game is over.

Nebraska has not been afforded the luxury of playing back-ups, and outside of non-conference, really had no opportunity. This is how a season goes for most teams in division one football, unless your name is Alabama and you steamroll most opponents. And outside of the Ohio State loss, we played backups exactly where we should have. The Michigan game, per your example, was a 16-9 game going into the fourth. They still could have scored on us and every team in the history of ever would have kept their starters in. This isn't like 1995 with Brook Berringer and Co., where you had a proven winner at back up and were legitimately two and three deep at every position.

If I were you, I wouldn't be too worried about the quarterback position. Next year, Armstrong will be a redshirt freshman and he will more than likely be the back up. I'm extremely excited about that kid and think he has a lot of potential. Even if he only plays sparingly, he'll have been in the system for two years by the time the QB position is up for grabs.

If he did that, wouldn't he only have 1 year left to play?

And no one is bashing Brion.

I did look at the scores of the games. When Ohio St. was up 63-31 the only thing that Bo got lucky was that Martinez didn't get hurt. The game was over there was no way we had a chance to win. You take out Martinez so he doesn't get hurt in an unwinnable game. Michigan was also another game that Hoke gave up on and they couldn't even get a first down in the 2nd half til late in the 4th quarter. when Martinez got hurt i thought there was no reason for him to be in the game when Michigan has given up. It's going to suck when Martinez leaves after next season cause we will have a qb with no experience again starting or very limited experience. bo does need to start thinking about when Martinez is gone and start giving backups playtime when the game is over.

Nebraska has not been afforded the luxury of playing back-ups, and outside of non-conference, really had no opportunity. This is how a season goes for most teams in division one football, unless your name is Alabama and you steamroll most opponents. And outside of the Ohio State loss, we played backups exactly where we should have. The Michigan game, per your example, was a 16-9 game going into the fourth. They still could have scored on us and every team in the history of ever would have kept their starters in. This isn't like 1995 with Brook Berringer and Co., where you had a proven winner at back up and were legitimately two and three deep at every position.

If I were you, I wouldn't be too worried about the quarterback position. Next year, Armstrong will be a redshirt freshman and he will more than likely be the back up. I'm extremely excited about that kid and think he has a lot of potential. Even if he only plays sparingly, he'll have been in the system for two years by the time the QB position is up for grabs.

yes there were like 4 or 5 games we could've played Carnes instead of letting Martinez finish it out. When Hoke didn't put Dennard back in he conceded the game to us. Sorry but the best/good athletes aren't going to sit on their ass for 2 years to learn a system and only get a shot of 1-2 years of play time.