Is Callahan interested in the NFL?

Capp

I think BC is going to have to improve his record before he is considered for an NFL head coaching job. Looking at his last season in Oakland and his first 2 seasons at NU I would be hesitant to hire him. On the other hand If he puts together 2 or 3 great years in a row it proves he has the ability to build a team and then I could see it happening.

There's two reasons guys jump back to the NFL:  money and less headaches.  Hear me out on this one.

Only the biggest of the big in college can compete with the NFL money wise.  What is BC making right now?  He could probably double or triple it if the NFL comes calling again.

Callahan makes around $1.25-1.4 million ayear. He made about $800,000 a year as Oakland's head coach.

Nick Saban was making 1.65 million with LSU. He now makes 5 million with the Dolphins. Spurrier was making 2.1 million at Florida, he made 5 million with the Redskins, and is now making 1.25 million at South Carolina. Norm Chow made 500,000 at USC and now makes 900,000 with the Titans. Granted, these are examples of higly coveted coaches, but the average NFL head coaching Salary was 2.5 million back in 2003, likely it is higher now. He's not going to get 5 million unless he really has some success the next couple of years, but if someone comes offering 2.5 or 3 million, and BC already has NFL inclinations anyway, why wouldn't he take it? Not saying it's going to happen...just isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

Nick Saban was making 1.65 million with LSU. He now makes 5 million with the Dolphins. Spurrier was making 2.1 million at Florida, he made 5 million with the Redskins, and is now making 1.25 million at South Carolina. Norm Chow made 500,000 at USC and now makes 900,000 with the Titans. Granted, these are examples of higly coveted coaches, but the average NFL head coaching Salary was 2.5 million back in 2003, likely it is higher now. He's not going to get 5 million unless he really has some success the next couple of years, but if someone comes offering 2.5 or 3 million, and BC already has NFL inclinations anyway, why wouldn't he take it? Not saying it's going to happen...just isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

I wasn't argueing with you, just stating what he makes here and what he made there. A solid college career like Saban and Spurrier have had can be parlayed into a huge pro deal. I still am not sold that he would leave even if he had the chance. I think Oakland and Al Davis kinda soured him on the NFL. I have seen him say that one of the things he loves most about college football is the aspect of recruiting guys and the relationships and bonds that are formed with the young kids and seeing them grow and mature in their 4-5 years. I think if he is allowed to, and we as Nebraskans want him, he will stay here.

:yeah

Callahan obviously has what it takes to do the job, the players have even said so. Why else would they lay the blame on themselves for some of the losses the Huskers faced this year?

Next year will say a lot as to what this team is all about; both players and coaches.

Cally has my confidence. :thumbs

I have said this before, I think that BC will never win a NC at NU. It isn't because he isn't capable, but I feel that once he takes this program back to the top of the Big 12, he will get the call from the NFL.

If he is able to win the North a few yrs. in a row, and maybe be named Big 12 coach of the year, the NFL will definately come calling.... IMO, BC would probably take that opportunity to jump.... In the NFL, you can call names and gesture, and people don't "freak out" about it, like many on this board did, and around the state.

On the other hand, I think it will be at least a few years before he thinks about the NFL.... His emotions after the CU game were real and geniune.... I really think that he is starting to "care about these kids and university"... The NFL is nothing but $, but when you work with kids, you can't help but to grow close to these young men, who lay it on the line for you.

Would you consider not posting on this board again.

:yeah

Nope, even if I have no interest in the program anymore, I will still post here just to piss you two guys off :cheers

BTW, nice way to go off-topic :thumbs Have a great day :)

Former, sometimes you crack me up! Keep posting! I for one respect most thought out opinions, wheter I agree with it or not. This board would suck if all agreed all of the time. :cheers

Now back to the topic at hand. I can't see BC even thinking about the NFL until he makes something out of this program. If and when he does, I think he may get some offers.

Good stuff. Even Former! :thumbs

I like HANC's post a lot! It would be nice to see Bill leave with a ring before he does decide to depart though.

I honestly can't even think of another coach I would want to have in his place right now.

Edit:Active coach. Coach Osborne might be my first, but then here we go again with the option surviving the changes in college football.

Which is a whole other topic (pretty sure it's been discussed too.) :blink:

Two words: job security

If/When Cally rights the ship at Nebraska, he will have all the job security in the world.

Is it easier to turn a team around in CFB or in the NFL? CFB by far is easier to turn a team around, given the right coaching.

The NFL does nothing but pose a revolving door of coaches and I believe Cally saw that.

So what he said he had the dumbest team in America while he was in the NFL? Could you imagine someone like Bill Parcells saying that? It would be seen as a rallying cry. Cally took the team to the Super Bowl, had one bad year and he was shown the gate, mostly because of one statement. Why would he go back to that?

i dont know why any big school college coach would want to go back to coaching in the pro's. the money that they make is close to what coaches are getting paid in the pro's with better job security and less headaches dealing with athletes like T.O., the Vikings love boat scandle ect.

but what do i know

Some people are just more comfortable there. There's less teaching in the NFL, no need to be a father figure either. That leaves more time for X's and O's, which is what some coaches want to focus on. Also, 1.25 million is not close to 5 million. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to make 1.25 million. But 5 million is a whole different lifestyle altogether.

you are probably right. i didnt know that a HC in the pro's make that much money probably because i dont follow pro sports anymore. i will check from time to time how ex-huskers are doing but that is it.

i cant understand why athletes that make millions and millions of dollars to play a game, go on strike because they do not make enough money. it is pathatic. free agents have kill the game also. back in the day you could look at the back of a sports card and see that a player stayed in one place most of his career if not all. now if a player stays in one place more then 4 years it is almost a freak of nature.

but then again what do i know i am just some poor sap that works 60 hrs a week and will never make in my lifetime what some of these players get in signing bonuses alone

Tell me about it. This is off topic but I agree with you to an extent. I think the way the NFL handles contracts is better than the way the NBA does it. We have a guy out here on the Jazz, Boozer, who has done nothing but sit on the bench with injuries since he got here and he's making something like $150,000 a game. He doesn't even travel with the team right now.

I don't begrudge athletes making money, It's the market that drives it and I'm a good capitalist. I just think they should be held to performance standards to make their money just like all us regular guys.

To tie this back into the topic.....I think Callahan will be gone in 3 years. Either fired because he stunk or back in the NFL because he was good. That was one of the reasons I was opposed to the hire in the first place. I wanted someone who was going to show some loyalty to Nebraska and stick around for a while. Nebraska shouldn't be a 'stepping stone' coaching position. But maybe I'm just too old school.

Would you consider not posting on this board again.

That was completely pointless. He has a right to post. Quit whining.

Cant anybody have some fun. I hear this crap down hear every day how the huskers suck or they are no good anymore even on the sports talk shows. Then I come to the board and here the same sh#t from Former and Bernard. That is why Im such a smart ass. :restore2:restore2:restore2:bang:bang