The Tunnel Walk Diagnosis

Landlord

The tunnel walk is great; barring an audio system that deafens those sitting up in North Stadium and makes those in South Stadium think that they actually are deaf.

Sirius is perfect.

They usually do a good job with the video; this year really sucked though. Just show us some highlights of current players, maybe a quick shot of the natty title trophies. Keep it simple. No CGI, for the love of god

Let's change gears a little bit - what do you guys think would be good music for use in the stadium? Not specifically to replace Sirius, but perhaps to be used as a pre-tunnel walk video, or just for some of the many highlight or pump-up videos we see throughout the game?

Stuff that isn't entirely cliche, 50 years old, or entirely obscure that nobody will have ever heard.

Here's one I've always thought would be a ton of fun:

Wow...no.

What I usually find in these threads is that people post music that they like listening to but don't think if it really is going to sound good over the sound system....that is even if we upgrade the sound system. This song would sound absolutely HORRIBLE.

Let's change gears a little bit - what do you guys think would be good music for use in the stadium? Not specifically to replace Sirius, but perhaps to be used as a pre-tunnel walk video, or just for some of the many highlight or pump-up videos we see throughout the game?

Stuff that isn't entirely cliche, 50 years old, or entirely obscure that nobody will have ever heard.

Wow...no.

What I usually find in these threads is that people post music that they like listening to but don't think if it really is going to sound good over the sound system....that is even if we upgrade the sound system. This song would sound absolutely HORRIBLE.

Because of the sound system or because you don't like the music? Half the songs that we play during a gameday sound horrible - I'm only posting music with the caveat that it will either a. sound bad because we know our sound system is atrocious or b. be in a perfect, idealistic world with a legitimate high-quality system inside Memorial.

1. Update and re-calibrate the positioning and direction of the sound system. Oklahoma State has a similar set up that we have, but due to the direction and positioning of the speakers, their system functions much better than ours for the fans.

2. Eliminate 90% of the graphics. Snitily Carr and Huskervision no longer have the staff to pull of the graphical vision that they have for the tunnel walk. Snitily lost their graphics badass, and this years tunnel walk made it obvious. I am fine with the stadium animation stuff, but it should not be the focus.

3. Effort. The tunnel walk has become lazy. We are revisiting the same themes, quotes and stats for every tunnel walk, and they are being displayed in similar manners year after year where it has become boring and predictable. New ideas haven't been generated since the the air drop debacle.

4. Video Production. Write a script and tap into the fans emotion. It goes much deeper than what music you pick, although I know fans seem to be stuck on that. There is no reason, with the down time of the Huskervision crew that once the sporting season ends, we can put 110% effort into creating an amazing film-esk introduction for our fans. I can't tell you how little there is to do in the studio once the sporting season comes to an end. They have months to focus on getting ready for the following year. There needs to be more effort here.

Those are some of my thoughts. let me be clear. the atmosphere that Huskervision has created for gameday is heaps and bounds better than it was in 2006 before the HD upgrade. They have done a marvelous job with the addition of the ribbon boards, features and graphics. That being said I think the tunnel walk has suffered greatly. And with the loss of staff over the past year, I don't see it getting any better any time soon unless they make a fundamental change in the direction of their thinking and preparation.

So in other words....... What your really sayin is....... They just need you back huh?

The stuff you guys did was AWESOME!

I do miss it, and would love to work exclusively on the tunnel walk but they can pull off great things with what they have available. They definitely don't need me to make the tunnel walk great again.

If this is the song that a lot of husker pump up videos use i'd agree I like that as an opener. Also like the song used a lot with our pump videos. I also like the song by Nelly Here comes the boom. Which is used a lot on you tube with our pump up videos

Nebraska doesn't use this song at all nor have they ever as of the time of this posting.

sorry I meant the ones on you tube not necessarily the ones from the University. I've seen a few that had a song that starts out with the lyrics Can you feel it then music starts. I've never hear the song other than on those videos. Unfortunately i'm at work and can't hear the video you linked or link to a video myself.

If this is the song that a lot of husker pump up videos use i'd agree I like that as an opener. Also like the song used a lot with our pump videos. I also like the song by Nelly Here comes the boom. Which is used a lot on you tube with our pump up videos

Nebraska doesn't use this song at all nor have they ever as of the time of this posting.

sorry I meant the ones on you tube not necessarily the ones from the University. I've seen a few that had a song that starts out with the lyrics Can you feel it then music starts. I've never hear the song other than on those videos. Unfortunately i'm at work and can't hear the video you linked or link to a video myself.

Same name, different song :) the Can You Feel It is used at games, it's a Michael Jackson remake by King of House.

Wow...no.

Because of the sound system or because you don't like the music? Half the songs that we play during a gameday sound horrible - I'm only posting music with the caveat that it will either a. sound bad because we know our sound system is atrocious or b. be in a perfect, idealistic world with a legitimate high-quality system inside Memorial.

Probably some of both. Not that I wouldn't listen to the music when working out or something. But, put into a large atmosphere like this (even with an upgrade to the sound system), music like in this song just doesn't work. It's hard to describe but the music in the second post I made is more like what is needed.

I guess the best way to describe it is that it needs to be crisp and clean music.

The reason we don't put speakers on the other end of the stadium is that you will hear everything twice depending on where you sit. The stadium is big enough that people in either end zone will here an 'echo' if we have two speakers.

I agree the system is not good, but epocson says other stadiums have done this system well. So maybe it can be fixed, or upgraded.

The reason we don't put speakers on the other end of the stadium is that you will hear everything twice depending on where you sit. The stadium is big enough that people in either end zone will here an 'echo' if we have two speakers.

I agree the system is not good, but epocson says other stadiums have done this system well. So maybe it can be fixed, or upgraded.

I understand this. But you go back to 1994 and on after they installed the original Huskervision boards, and the speaker deck above the North end Scoreboard, I believe those were also the only speakers at that time, and I had sat in numerous places throughout the stadium up through 2004 when that system was taken down, and i dont ever remember having the audio issues we have had now since the north addition was comleted in 06. I dont much to anything at all about this stuff, I'm just curious what wouldve been done different, or what is now different about the stadium itself that would change it.

Seems every season this comes up at least once. Not a ton of people seem to be happy with the Tunnel Walk in it's entirety - either the video work is subpar, Sirius is getting old, the sound system sucks, or what have you. So, in an effort to cure my boredom looking at the same arguments in the same threads, I thought we could have a worthwhile discussion on what we, as members of Huskerboard, would do with the Tunnel Walk if it was in our power. Two main points:

1. What music would you use? And please guys, keep all the "Enter Sandman" and "AC/DC" and "Oh Neva Scared or Lil' Wayne would be super dope!" out of here. You know as well as I do that that is not true, and none of those would ever really be in consideration. Get creative and unique. I realize some of you guys are on the cutting edge of 1812 rather than 2012, but try to keep up.

2. How would you organize the event? With the way the players come out, the video highlights/camera work, etc. What would you change or keep the same to make this the most epic intro in all of college football (which we all know is held by Virginia Tech)?

Oh, and there's no wrong answers. Except for crappy music selections like we talked about :)

Didn't get past the OP after I read no "AC/DC". Are you kidding me? What a joke. The music that is made nowadays sucks so bad it's pathetic. Obviously you are too young to appreciate REAL rock n roll.

Right now, the doors open, the team slowly gathers just outside the door, jumps around a bit and then runs onto the field.

Change that to: gathering behind the closed doors, then have the doors explode open and the team comes running out. Huge WWE-like pyro and smoke.

Also, like accountability said, fix the freaking sound system.

Yeah, because when other teams run through smoke and pyro in college football it looks cool and awesome. Not. Oh wait, it looks stupid.

sad.gif