Hail Varsity trims the fat

lo country

Thank you for that link. That is a great rundown.

I'd known Wisconsin's schedule was poor compared to ours, but this article gave some useful statistics in that regard.

One of the comments mentions how their scoring drives went:

• Fumble inside the 25
  • Fumble inside the 25
  • Play action pass for 54 yards where safety got fooled
  • Roughing the punter penalty

just goes to show you stats can be changed in anyway you want so you can get the results you want to hear. Like Bo says it will be won on the field. IF you dont leave everything out on the field then you will not win the game Wisky can beat anyone on any given day and lets face it we have come back in a few games but you cant always do that.

The losses of Baker and Justin Jackson, I am afraid, are significant.

Bo has done well prepping his teams for CCGs. His issues were more about in-game adjustments. The TX game was masterful in many ways, but, I would have liked to have seen 2 or 3 really aggressive play calls (like Black 41 Flash Reverse Pass). Had NU gotten up by 7 or more, Suh might have had 20 sacks.

The OU game, similarly, in my mind came down to the decision to keep a struggling, dinged up, freshmen QB on the field.

T-Mart has definitely improved. But under the spotlight he has shown to be equally electrifying and electrocuting.

All in all, I can't wait to see what happens.

Bo has done well prepping his teams for CCGs. His issues were more about in-game adjustments. The TX game was masterful in many ways, but, I would have liked to have seen 2 or 3 really aggressive play calls (like Black 41 Flash Reverse Pass). Had NU gotten up by 7 or more, Suh might have had 20 sacks.

The OU game, similarly, in my mind came down to the decision to keep a struggling, dinged up, freshmen QB on the field.

T-Mart has definitely improved. But under the spotlight he has shown to be equally electrifying and electrocuting.

You beat me to the punch on mentioning those key players (Stein and Jackson) not being able to play this time around. Those added variables (unmentioned in an otherwise great article) really add a level of mystery/concern for this game.

Part of the reason we had so much success in stopping their run game in Sep was the fact the Stein had his best, most dominant game of the year. And part of the reason our offense ran and passed so effectively against a stout D was Jackson's ability to open holes for the run game and give Martinez the time he needed to make as many great throws as he did.

You beat me to the punch on mentioning those key players (Stein and Jackson) not being able to play this time around. Those added variables (unmentioned in an otherwise great article) really add a level of mystery/concern for this game.

Part of the reason we had so much success in stopping their run game in Sep was the fact the Stein had his best, most dominant game of the year. And part of the reason our offense ran and passed so effectively against a stout D was Jackson's ability to open holes for the run game and give Martinez the time he needed to make as many great throws as he did.

Biggest thing to note is that Chris Borland is coming off an injury and may not be full speed. He was huge in the first game.

• Fire 1

Regarding injuries, it unfortunately happens. Last year we lost Crick, Fonzie, but still won 9. This year Rex goes down and AA and Co step in. Stein has quietly put together a great season and Jackson has done a great job at center. Can either one be replaced with equal talent? Possibly. Better talent, I would say no. If they were better, they would be starting.

The only good thing is that it happened last week, in a game and it allowed us to get some guys much needed playing time in a game atmosphere. Imagined if it happened during this week at practice. I am sure that their DL will exploit Pelini or at least try. Beck will need to call a very good game for sure. realize quickly what Pelini can and can not execute and scrap the rest.

I imagine Bo has already reviewed PSU film and saw their DL adjust to a 5 man front and spread out the field making it harder for Ball.

Beck has commented this season that it takes a while to get going as defenses have thrown new wrinkles and it takes time to figure our counters. Beck needs to dial up an O that can exploit their D immediately. We have shown we can come from behind and win. Wisky has not. Get out in front quick and I think they will have a large problem in trying to come from behind with an inexperienced QB and our pass D.

Control what we can ie TO's (fumbles, INT) sound tackling and do not blow assignments and I think we win, injuries or not. As mentioned above Borland has a tweaked Hammy and has set for 2 weeks. This will be his first game back in 3 weeks. Abracadabra is reported ready to go, but Rex has been "day to day"or "probable" for most of the year.

They are incredibly one dimensional and we are far from that. I really expect to see a lot of offense that we have not seen all season.

We need to play hard and fast. Score quickly and often and let them no this game is not coming down to the last play.

Biggest thing to note is that Chris Borland is coming off an injury and may not be full speed. He was huge in the first game.

until Janovich ran his ass over

That tackle that Borland has on Rex was incredible where he jumped over a blocker. He was a major key in slowing our rushing attack.

There is no reason for anyone to really know what to expect in this game. Nebraska and Wisconsin have had jekyl/hyde games all year long. We know we won the first game. We know we had to come back to win the first game. That was on our own turf. This weekend will be on a neutral field. We lost some key players last week at Iowa. I mean key. Losing your center and your best DT a week before the conference championship is a HUGE loss. It would be hard for any team to overcome. It could be even more difficult for a team like Nebraska to overcome considering the lack of depth and experience we have at a lot of positions. We know this. Wisconsin will run, run, run, and play action pass. Nebraska has been poor against the run, but Nebraska is not the same defense it was the first time. Yet, Iowa sure made our run defense look the same as it has all year, pathetic. Our offense can be among the most effective in the country at times. Then other times, not so much. I think having Burkhead back will be huge. This should be a four horsemen marathon. Burkhead, Abdullah, Heard, and Cross should all have touches. Lot's of rotation at RB. This game can be won as long as we limit the mistakes and don't give extra opportunities. If we start fast, I think we win it no doubt. If we start slow, I still trust our offense, the passing game, and the fact that we have shown the ability to fight for the duration. We can come back and win if we have to. I prefer we beat them at their own game. Strong dose of the run, and then an even stronger dose. Mix in a pass on first down, keep them honest all game long, then back to the run. Taylor should have about 15 pass attempts. I don't mean it as a bad thing. As you all know, I love our wideouts, and really appreciate Taylor's progression, but I don't want to risk any mistakes that could cost us this game. It could simply come down to who plays the cleanest game.

until Janovich ran his ass over

Janovich is awesome. That dude that transferred from the SEC is soft. Janovich knocks people around, the way a FB should. He already reminds me of some of the guys we had in the 90s.