Gun Control

Roark

Not really, why are explosives exempted? Isn't a missile a form of arm?

Yeah, and he says you probably should be able to buy them. You are able to "bare" that arm, and the Constitution says that.

Also you can own a cannon. The girl I dated in high school, dad had two of them.

How come we don't ban cars? Cars kill thousands of people every year. It's easily preventable. We just have to ban cars.

I think you are confusing "On purpose" and "accident"

Now, had this a-hole drove his car into the school, down the halls, into the offices, into the classrooms, ran over 20 kids, 6 adults, then got out of the the car, rigged it so that it would "drive" over himself, ending his life, THEN you would have an argument. Until then, not so much.

It is okay to be mad, to be filled with anger and hate right now, that's okay. It really is, you don't have to try to be "rational" guy right now. This is not an "If...Then" type of moment, this is a "let people vent" moment. You know that, come on.

Not mad.. sad, yes. But this is a discussion that is going to be talked about. I don't think any of us are preventing people from venting right now either. This is an issue that goes further than guns.

Banning all guns is not the answer. But having a more rigorous and extensive background check on people who own or plan on owning a firearm is a possible solution.

I've not seen many people suggest a complete ban on guns. Why everyone wants to immediately suggest otherwise, I don't understand. What I have seen people suggest is that a weapon like a .223 semiautomatic Bushmaster Rifle, with a clip that carries 20 or 50 rounds, should be banned.

bushmaster223_0.jpg

Banning semi-autos may sound like a simple enough solution, but would be extremely difficult to carry out. Do you propose a door-to-door search of every home in America for these types of weapons, or do you expect everyone to just hand them over?

Also, here's a link for those who seem to think that the "slippery slope paranoia" is silly. Link.

Not really, why are explosives exempted? Isn't a missile a form of arm?

Yeah, and he says you probably should be able to buy them. You are able to "bare" that arm, and the Constitution says that.

Also you can own a cannon. The girl I dated in high school, dad had two of them.

How come we don't ban cars? Cars kill thousands of people every year. It's easily preventable. We just have to ban cars.

I think you are confusing "On purpose" and "accident"

Now, had this a-hole drove his car into the school, down the halls, into the offices, into the classrooms, ran over 20 kids, 6 adults, then got out of the the car, rigged it so that it would "drive" over himself, ending his life, THEN you would have an argument. Until then, not so much.

It is okay to be mad, to be filled with anger and hate right now, that's okay. It really is, you don't have to try to be "rational" guy right now. This is not an "If...Then" type of moment, this is a "let people vent" moment. You know that, come on.

Not mad.. sad, yes. But this is a discussion that is going to be talked about. I don't think any of us are preventing people from venting right now either. This is an issue that goes further than guns.

I am mad, really mad, more mad than sad right now.

Judging by your user name I'm assuming you're a teacher. How would you feel about yourself or a few of your colleagues being trained with a pistol and being armed at school? Think it's too risky?

I don't think it is too risky, I just think that it is not realistic. I think a lot of people have this romanticized idea of what it would be like: Bad guy comes in, pulls out his gun and is ready to start shooting up the place but the hero teacher pulls out his/her piece first, takes aim and BAM, takes down the would be killer.

I just don't think it is realistic. I mean, cops that are on the job for 30 years often times never pull their gun out once, most people that do use a gun in the "line of fire" are not going to be such an amazing shot that they kill the person with one shot, it would probably end up killing some innocent kid. Plus, I mean, you are really asking a lot of the teacher too. You are basically asking them "Will you take a life", I don't know, it just seems like that would be really really tough.

I really don't have a good answer for it. Sorry!

• Fire 1

Judging by your user name I'm assuming you're a teacher. How would you feel about yourself or a few of your colleagues being trained with a pistol and being armed at school? Think it's too risky?

I don't think it is too risky, I just think that it is not realistic. I think a lot of people have this romanticized idea of what it would be like: Bad guy comes in, pulls out his gun and is ready to start shooting up the place but the hero teacher pulls out his/her piece first, takes aim and BAM, takes down the would be killer.

I just don't think it is realistic. I mean, cops that are on the job for 30 years often times never pull their gun out once, most people that do use a gun in the "line of fire" are not going to be such an amazing shot that they kill the person with one shot, it would probably end up killing some innocent kid. Plus, I mean, you are really asking a lot of the teacher too. You are basically asking them "Will you take a life", I don't know, it just seems like that would be really really tough.

How would you feel about having a single police officer stationed at your school every day?

How would you feel about having a single police officer stationed at your school every day?

Oh gosh, lots of schools have that, its not really that "out there", I taught at a school that had a full time city cop and I think 5 school security staff members. I feel fine with it.

Oh gosh, lots of schools have that, its not really that "out there", I taught at a school that had a full time city cop and I think 5 school security staff members. I feel fine with it.

Lots of schools don't have it. I think they should. The problem is, how do you pay for it. Most taxpayers I know wouldn't be willing. Would parents pay a small tuition to support the cost is the question...

Actually, in many areas the cops are given that position as school police officer, so its not really a new position it is already accounted for. Now, in areas that don't have it, well yeah, they would have to pay for it.

I'm assuming the school where you were that had a police officer assigned was a high school? It's probably extremely rare to have this at elementary schools.

You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed

people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the k!ller's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the k!ller's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news.

Morgan Freeman didn't say that. Sorry... http://www.snopes.co...uns/newtown.asp

You don't have to be sorry. I wholeheartedly agree, regardless of the author.

Actually, in many areas the cops are given that position as school police officer, so its not really a new position it is already accounted for. Now, in areas that don't have it, well yeah, they would have to pay for it.

I'm assuming the school where you were that had a police officer assigned was a high school? It's probably extremely rare to have this at elementary schools.

It was a middle school, 6-8 grades.